What are your "fab four" Beatles books for the famous desert island?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

Easy peasy. Tune In, the next two Lewisohn books, and Recording the Beatles.

AlienRendel likes this.
  2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just noticed that Lewisohn's "Beatles Recording Sessions" has a new pre-order date for September of 2018. I wonder if he is updating the previous editions, or if the original book is simply being "re-printed"?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Lewishon
    Spizer
    Sulpy

4. Michael

I'm banking on a reprint...hope I'm wrong...the first one who finds out please post an announcement.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  5. Michael

I think that would be boring....considering how deep he goes in the current volumes he doing...

6. Michael

2 good choices but, one would have to have a guitar for #2!

Jacline likes this.
  7. Michael

Ipod or phone...it would fit nicely

8. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Forgot about this one. Even though it was written between Anthology 1 and 2, and some gems had still yet to surface (such as complete Revolution 1) there's still a ton of interesting info and this book is huge. This is where I first found out about the Beatles Help 78 rpm Production Acetates, that really blew me away.

Jacline likes this.
  9. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I love Revolution in the Head for its amazing dissections of Lennon’s psychedelic songs.

Jacline and ohnothimagen like this.
  10. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

The Beatles: Ten Years That Shook the World
    The Beatles Are Coming - Bruce Spizer
    Beatles Gear - Andy Babiuk
    The Beatles Anthology
    Rough Guide to the Beatles

11. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

“The Beatles: 10 Years That Shook the World” is a great book - far and away my favorite Beatles book. Fabulous photographs, insightful articles - if you can only buy one book on the Beatles, The is the one to get.

Vinyl_Blues and owsley like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I love Revolution In The Head, even if McDonald's "The Sixties? I was there, maaaaaan- where were you?" vibe gets a little old after a while. Odd that he indeed praises Lennon's psychedelic opuses in the book yet goes on to completely skewer "Across The Universe", which even Lennon considered to be one of his best songs.

DRM, Jacline and AlienRendel like this.
  13. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I never got Spizer's original Vee-Jay Story book but it appears The Beatles Are Coming repeats much of the same very interesting material and details w/r to the court case with Capitol. Does anyone know if the original Vee Jay book contains any other significant historical info on Vee Jay Records that's not in The Beatles Are Coming?

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is that still being updated ?

15. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

I'm not sure how many times I've read Revolution In The Head. Open a bottle of wine, stick on any Beatles album, and get ready to read what he has to say about each track. Do I agree with his every opinion? Hell, no! In fact, I think he hates anything that even remotely rocks - especially Helter Skelter - but who doesn't like lucidly-expressed opinions? Isn't that why we come here?

Rorsontherun, ohnothimagen and DRM like this.
  16. alexpop

What Recording Sessions book ?

17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book does not appear to have been updated, although to be fair Lewisohn does have bigger fish to fry right now than updating that book.
    He's passed on now, but I can just imagine Ian McDonald posting here- given how opinionated he is about All Things Beatle I reckon he'd last about three days here before being driven away by all the hardcore "Beatles Never Bad" fanboys...:laugh:

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Thought I read here that it was getting updated. No biggie I guess.

19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Roy Carr has died, 1 July. He was the surviving author of 'The Beatles, an Illustrated Record' the 1975 book that was in a way the best quick (and pithy) study of The Beatles records.

blutiga likes this.
  20. If I Can Dream_23

Just to re-join my own thread...

Lately, I've really been into these two:

Beatles '66: The Revolutionary Year
    By Steve Turner

Inside The Yellow Submarine by
    Robert Richard Hieronimus

Vinyl_Blues and DK Pete like this.
  21. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I have just 3 favorites.

"An Illustrated Record"
    "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions"
    "The Love You Make"

If I Can Dream_23 and DK Pete like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think "Beatles '66" is an excellent book. Nothing particularly new but it takes an engagingly closer focus into events we already knew about. i don't know if I'd put it in the "must-have" group but I'm glad I bought it.

23. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

Songwriting Secrets of The Beatles
    Every Sound There is the Beatles' Revolver and the Transformation of Rock and Roll
    Walter Everett books on The Beatles are great reads.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

'The Love You Make"...the first "muckraker" Beatles bio. Many more to follow....

Chew likes this.
  25. If I Can Dream_23

Yes, with the Beatles, I find that it eventually becomes normal to zero in on a specific year, topic, event. Some of my favorites all time are the Bruce Spizer books that are great for their historical detail yet are spread over different labels the band's (US) records were on.

Likewise, I like the '66 book, Shea Stadium book, and others that really dive into the significance of just one year, event, film, etc.

I still think the single most amazing thing about the group was their sheer stunning growth and impact covering ALL seven years. Yet, to relay that all in a BOOK is always daunting or less than ideal, in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.