What are your favorite Gordon Lightfoot albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 3Dman, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nice!

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

This poll makes me realize that especially in these streaming days I have not heard much of his output, though I like him very much based on an early and later compilations I have. Gotta do some listening! [edit: almost forgot to toss in the story of how a fellow coworker was subjected to a navigation test drive listening to "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" repeatedly. As in from Alabama to Detroit. Unfortunately I am not kidding. He was way too polite, I would have just said "love it but that's enough of that" and changed - maybe to Sting's The Last Ship ha ha

3Dman, Bern, carlwm and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Have seen him twice 30 years apart. Golds gold for me. The hits & some others.

Bern likes this.
  4. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

My father had Cold On The Shoulder and it was an LP I really dug as a youngster. Even though it was warped near the start—that crackly sound for the first minute of each side is embedded into my memory! When I was learning guitar as a teen it was one LP I managed to work out how to play nearly all the way through. Never really gave Gord much thought until years later, and the albums were scarce in the second-hand bins. Then I picked up Gord's Gold on CD cheap and played it a LOT. Really should get into him more, tbh.

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's all worth listening to, I reckon. Probably my favourite post-Eighties record is Waiting For You. That's a cracking set of songs.

Dennis0675, 3Dman, Bern and 1 other person like this.
  6. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins Thread Starter

So, trying to stay ahead of the snowstorm last night, I put Shadows on and headed out for a nice shoveling session. It had been a bit since I played it and the many mentions above inspired me.

It really is a great effort from Gord, and a lot of the lyrics really hit close to home for me and seemed pretty tailored to what’s going on in my life nowadays. I think it gets a <bit> lightweight near the end, but finishes strong with She’s Not The Same. I love the different styles featured and it feels fairly diverse arrangement-wise. It’s definitely going to enter the rotation more often.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  7. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Like you I’ve been inspired to pull it out a give it a spin which I will do tomorrow based on all the comments.

carlwm and 3Dman like this.
  8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Check out his BBC stuff on Youtube from 1969 and 1972.

9. 3Dman

Ok, twist my arm

Glenn coates and eelkiller like this.
  10. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I put it on tonight. The first time in a very long time. I think I actually like side 2 better. Shadows was in my top three years ago, but as I started listening to earlier stuff..it went down a few notches. The cd sounds great.

Not the biggest fan of In My Fashion, or Blackberry Wine. (they're ok). Always liked Baby Step Back (hit number 50 on Billboard..I seem to recall it got a fair amount of airtime on radio) and Triangle.

So long, farewell, goodbye...this is the end. (always liked that line)

carlwm, Glenn coates and 3Dman like this.
  11. 3Dman

Baby Step Back is a good tune. Triangle gave me slight a Buffett vibe this time around, and yet I’ll Do Anything sounds like a tune built for Marty Robbins but I think Gord does a good job and the songs are still unmistakably his. I also really like the early rock and country styles hinted at here. The intro on Shadows (the song) sounds fairly contemporary to me for some reason, and this is one of those songs I know for some unknown reason; I didn’t hear this album until semi-recently. The “let it go, let it happen” part was somehow already etched in my brain.

Anyway, glad to hear your thoughts; thanks for sharing. Shadows isn’t probably going to crack my top 5, but on the right day/when I’m listening to it, yeah, it’s up there. What a strong catalog the man has.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    superstar19, Bern and carlwm like this.
  12. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I am sure I would like many of his studio albums, but the two volumes of Gord's Gold and a United Artists comp are all I have.

carlwm and 3Dman like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

As and when you see the studio albums going for a reasonable price, might be worth you taking a risk. They all have something to enjoy.

14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Get the debut!

3Dman and carlwm like this.
  15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

This is a great compilation of his live stuff . 80 min of Gord on stage.

16. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Been a long time since I went on a Gord binge...this thread helped rectify that.

Currently listening to Dream Street Rose. All Gord is great Gord...but my highlights are Ghosts of Cape Horn (GREAT song IMO, Whisper My Name, If You Need Me and Make Way For the Lady.

Dream Street Rose (b side Make Way For the Lady) and If You Need Me (b side Mister Rock of Ages) were the two singles released. (neither charted on Billboard) I remember hearing Make Way For the Lady on the radio. Nice job on the transfer to cd. I think it sounds good.

I was never a fan of the song Dream Street Rose....maybe Hey You might have made a better single. I used to sing that one to my wife.

Bern

Some of the songs from Dream Street Rose made an appearance before the release of the LP on PBS's Soundstage from 1979. Ghosts of Cape Horn, Whisper My Name, On the TV (later to become On The High Seas)

17. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident

A comment about Gord's Gold 2: as much as I like the track selection I hear his vocal quality reality starting to age here. I haven't listened to it for years but I seem to remember it was re-recordings.
    Don't know why he did that....

18. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I totally agree, I’m not sure why he re-did his vocals they are pretty much all inferior to the originals.
    There’s a marked deterioration in Gord’s voice from about Shadows onwards. It’s a pity but it does put me off.

3Dman likes this.
  19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Your comments about DSR are spot-on, it’s one of my favourites post his ‘classic’ 70s period.
    Ghosts, Cape Horn and On The High Seas are definite highlights for me too.
    But, The Auctioneer -why? :shrug:

20. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, I’ll give it a look :righton:

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The original Gord's Gold featured re-recordings too so he was essentially staying true to the concept. I like both. Keep them in the car for when I'm up for some Gord on the move.

3Dman, Glenn coates and Slim Zooms like this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love The Auctioneer. Great fun way to finish off the album.

3Dman and Slim Zooms like this.
  23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

True but on Gord’s Gold he was at the height of his powers and updating the arrangements of the earlier songs with his great band.
    On Gord’s Gold 2 he replaced his voice, which sounded great on the already existing recordings, with inferior vocals. In my opinion anyway.
    YMMV.

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I agree that the original recordings would have been better but I still like it as a comp. The one new song - If It Should Please You - is a good 'un too.

3Dman and Slim Zooms like this.
  25. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

My top three favourites:

1 - Summer Side Of Life
    2 - Sundown
    3 - If You Could Read My Mind

CoachD, 3Dman, Bern and 3 others like this.