What Are Your Favourite British Sitcoms?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hexwood, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

If Python counts then thats #1

Otherwise its The Young Ones

Then...
    Father Ted
    Blackadder
    Black Books
    The Office
    Fawlty Towers

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  2. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I did.....

3. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

1a. Monty Python
    1b. Keeping Up appearances.
    1c.UFO

4. Johnny Rocker

Oh heck I forgot Black Adder:cool:

blutiga and Instant Dharma like this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Are You Being Served?
    The Young Ones
    Fawlty Towers

6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I would have to say that (other than Monty Python which had no particular situation), Are You being Served? is the most wildly popular British sit-com in the U.S. for the longest time... and I don't really understand why. I'm sure if On The Buses had run a few more seasons it could have been competition for it... lots of shtick and gor-blimey types rubbing against toffs. I wouldn't have picked Keeping Up Appearances for such continued success either but it too is amazingly popular in the U.S.

7. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

AbFab sweetiedahlin'

8. Johnny Rocker

Oops I forgot Father Ted! Now that's a funny show![​IMG] I get 90% of Uk comedy on PBS, unfortunately during pledge drive, which is cool, I miss out on the classics.

smilin ed likes this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Father Dougal is one of my all time favorite TV characters.

He's up there with Baldrick and Kramer.

10. Johnny Rocker

I love it when Father Jack starts glowing and turns into a warewulf, LOL! C.P Grogan the first Kachanski , Listers dream gal was on Father Ted, Tv nerd here.:cool:[​IMG]

11. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Nice to see `The Likely Lads` getting so many votes here, a brilliant script, and a perfect cast (I`m sure that Thelma had a soft spot for Terry in spite of her frustrations).
    This clip is amazingly topical for the moment, as Terry trashes the world; The line about his `entry into Europe` creases me up every time I hear it.

andybeau and smilin ed like this.
  12. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are a lot of great British sitcoms and comedies. I could have compiled a top 30 list. Yesterday is currently re-running Yes Minster in the afternoons and again at night. Paul Eddington was a great actor. Red Dwarf brings back memories of being a kid. I remember when BBC2 aired it in the evenings in the 1990s.

Do you know where your dad's family lived in the UK?

13. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Last of the Summer Wine!

And no, I am not being ironic or sarcastic... The first 10 years were all 24k gold.

...the next 25 years,... not so much...

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Too hard to pick from right now.

15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

People probably remember her Hilda Ogden more, but Jean Alexander was good in Summer Wine too I thought, although in that 'next 25 years'.

16. Johnny Rocker

He in the Aviation safety field, and he visits there maybe once a year or so, our family is from the North, South Carolina's, and Virginia, Its funny, on his ancestry. com, printout it said that he is 10% more English than the folks that are living there now. I reckon his family settled in the USA, a long time ago, way before the war between the states. I'm guessing the time though. As far as where, he is learning that some were in South UK, some Scott Land, some Ireland, Some Wales. To me its interesting, I always thought I was from somewhere else. I think its cool.:cool: I told a buddy of mine, and he said 75%, good grief. Lol. I'm part UK, Part Ireland, part Italy, that explains why I like spaghetti,;) and my printout said I'm 94% West Europe, and some East Europe too. Its funny I have a WW-2 pict. of my passed away grandpappy, and he looks very similar to Paul Eddington. I forgot to put Dr. Who, I'm a big Tom Baker fan. Thanks for the chat Hexwood. Johnny Rocker.:cool:

17. Hexwood

That's interesting. Was your dad stationed in the UK with his job? Do you still have family in Italy? It's a beautiful country. I love the cuisine.

I didn't have much luck when I tried tracing my family roots on Ancestry.com. It would probably be easier for me to go to the big library in the city. I think they have records.

Anyway, take it easy.

18. Johnny Rocker

Not stationed there, he goes to aviation meetings in UK.We did live in Europe long ago, Army brat here. I learned that her kinfolk is in Salerno Italy. I wish I was related to Enzo Ferrari, Free super cars.:cool: I looked at my Ancestry .com, and 94% western Europe, a lot of my dna is over Uk and Ireland, and I thought "man, all that grouping together made me! LOL!:D

Hexwood likes this.
  19. Johnny Rocker

He said its possible that his folks originated from south west Uk? Remember this could be up to 300 years ago. Lol, Dna is something for eggheads to decipher, but it is interesting, so I reckon I'm half of what he is, funny I thought I was something else. lol, but its cool.:)

Hexwood likes this.
  20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Fawlty Towers, never seen anything better on TV.

blutiga, éder, GeoffC and 1 other person like this.
  21. Hexwood

I was chatting to an American guy the other day who was an army brat, and he spent a lot of his adolescence in the UK and Germany. He told me he had a hard time making friends because his dad moved the family all the time.

Where in Europe did you live?

22. Johnny Rocker

Pops was stationed in Germany, near one of the major military bases there, Frankenstein? Ramstein, something like that? We got to go on cable cars over the Swiss alps, the cars were fun until you hit a tower then you hear a clunk noise and start to wonder if that thingamabobie is going to fall off. LOL! So it was pretty cool, oh yaa I forgot, I do recall getting into an argument with a babysitter about my bath water level being to low, I told her in America we fill up out tubs with warm water, she said her in Germany we don't, to take a bath and stop complaining, haaaaa! lol, I said ewww you water is green....:D Its was different back then, things seemed "cooler" now a days things seem much different, oh well......

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Series 2 is far better than 1. Writing is sharper and the place is better. More like Shaun of the Dead. I would recommended starting with Series 2.

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

1. Fawlty Towers
    2. Porridge
    3. Alan Partridge (the BBC stuff)
    4. Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
    5. Early Doors (should be more well known)
    6. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (original)
    7. Rising Damp
    8. The League of Gentlemen
    9. Spaced
    10. Blackadder
    11. The Office
    12. Extras
    13. Dad's Army
    14. Steptoe and Son
    15. Coupling (very underated, very well written)
    16. Phoenix Nights
    17. The Mighty Boosh
    18. Yes Minister/Prime Minister
    19. I Am Not An Animal
    20. Father Ted

éder likes this.
  25. Hexwood

It seems like a lot of Americans move around the country with their families while growing up. Whenever I look up someone's bio online they nearly always moved to different towns and cities in their youth. Even those I've spoken to lived in several places before they turned 18. Is it as common as I think it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.