What are your go-to headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Penny24, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Sennheiser hd600's

Aftermath and wavethatflag like this.
  2. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

dan clark audio aeon 2 closed backs
    benchmark HPA-4 for headphone amp
    little bit of DSP in roon

3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Really liking my new Focal Elegia closed back.

4. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

I love my HiFiMan Arya Stealth. Could do with a bit more bass but it’s still very enjoyable. Am powering it with the Oppo HA-1. Since the Oppo has been discontinued I got it at a huge discount. Am a happy camper.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think the Meze Classics and the Massdrop HD6xx are a nice contrast to each other. If I want more analytical I go with the 6xx. if I want to be at a rock show or in the room, I use the Meze. That's the best way I can describe it. Both sets have drivers that are very good at different things.

6. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD 800s

7. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I think the treble on the HD600s is actually better for metal and rock. I found the Meze bass to almost bleed into the midrange. A bit too warm. Nice construction though.

8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I would describe the entire frequency range of the Classics as "amped." I'd say the HD6xx resolves the midrange better, but in a polite way. I really tried to find fault with the Classics' midrange, but I can't, speaking for myself. 6xx is for accuracy, and the Classics are for fun. But I really don't favor one over the other. Both give a lot of bang for the buck.

Of course I'm comparing open backs with closed backs, which can be dangerous. :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Middle Age Riot and LitHum05 like this.
  9. Jari S.

Jari S. Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD800 and Audeze LCD-2.

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Still loving the Beyerdynamic T1.2 and T1.3. Very comfortable, beautiful, solid construction and excellent sound.

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

LSTN

On my second set….very happy , well made, sound great (to me)

12. lesslemming

lesslemming Active Member

I am a veritable nutcase and have spent a long time maximising my system to a point where am now satiated.
    My preference was always towards high-resolving headphones with particularly fast transient response. My search has lead me to a niche product: Stax.

The Stax L300 Limited (not to be mistaken with L300 standard!) were the best thing I had tried since sliced bread the day I tried them. I could hear God fart and guess his breakfast from the sound of it.
    But the issue with Stax is they can lack in bass response and are sometimes on the bright side of the spectrum.

This has now been fixed by switching to the Stax SR-007 mk II (2019 version). I have not EVER had the urge to try something else since.
    I purchased a custom made High-Amp Alpha Centauri V9.5 hybrid tube amp energizer to go with it and boy is that a lovely combination. Smoooooth and revealing.

Here is my full review from 2020

[​IMG]

Pros: Natural soundstage, deep and textured bass, lightning fast and detailed, not harsh, beautiful addictive sound, neutral-warm timbre, very high build quality
    Cons: Headband is not adjustable (without tools), rotating ear cups need getting used to
    This review is for the latest iteration of the Stax SR-007mk2 which has been dubbed the 007mk2.9.
    The pair I review is my own and has not been modified.

I have had two pairs of 007mk2; one bought some time between 2016 and 2019 and one brand spanking new, purchased end of 2020. Both headphones did sound identical to me but I felt the newer version had a better feel build-wise.
    Perhaps that is due to the fact that one of them was worn and the other one was new.

I kept the 2020 version (SZ3-22xxx), which is the version I will refer to in this review.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fit

A second eyebrow-raiser is the fit, which solely depends on the ear cups just happening to have the correct angle for your head. While the cups can rotate freely, they can not pivot. Fear not, fellow apes! I did not find this to be a problem. Fit, width-wise, was excellent.

I do also have a small head, apparently. I always use the smallest setting on a headband and a pair of SR-009 barely fit me. That is why I purchased a set of Dekoni Nuggets. These work wonders and the SR-007 mk2 fit my head only by virtue of these nuggets. Now, however they fit and feel very, very comfortable. Lovely.

[​IMG]

Bass

I was expecting the 007mk2 to have a little emphasis in the bass region which is exactly what was delivered. The lower regions are certainly elevated or more pronounced than the rather linear and perhaps boring 009.
    You can imagine the bass of these headphones as what Stax, a company not being known for having a close relationship with bass-heads, thinks bass might be.
    I would describe the bass as being both dry and juicy. A little more juicy than the 009, but far from being yucky.
    The bass, in my opinion, is still just under neutral when compared to other types of headphones.

You will not get teeth rattling bass. Nu-uh. What you will get is an extremely layered and textured growl, though. This works particularly well with string instruments but can also produce a hump if it must. The depth is amazing and you can easily feel it in your chest. What is also amazing about the bass is its quality which is detailed and layered and well integrated into the rest of the music.

Midrange

The midrange is important for me because I enjoy vocals. The l300 limited and the 009 both were excellent in that regard. They both hide nothing. In direct comparison to the 009, the l300 limited lacked smoothness in the higher midrange. Not a difference I would call extreme, though.
    The 007mk2 is a little smoother here. Vocals definitely feel a little more smooth and emotive, more "golden" but also less forward and more integrated. Details like lip smacking, breathing or even hissing is still present and can be enjoyed but is not in your face. I appreciate that.

It's a little like:

MIXING FLAW!!!!! -SR-009

Mixing flaw [​IMG] -SR-007

Highs

This is where the 007 gets interesting. There certainly is a roll-off in the highest highs which prevent the 007 from getting piercing quickly. Do not misjudge this statement, they will pierce your ear if they must. Percussion instruments that are mixed to have too much presence will hurt your ear at loud listening volumes as if they were struck right beside your head. This lends the 007 a very high dynamic range making them sound very... dynamic.
    Most of the time, for the vast majority of decently mixed music, the 007 will never pierce or hurt. Which is not something I can say for the 009 or the l700 / l300 limited.

The highs, while crystal clear, have just a touch of golden shine and are so frivolously jovial and detailed as pixies dancing around in the night. There is no opaqueness in the highs that will prevent you from enjoying them. At the same time, you're not afraid of them getting offensive for no reason (MIXING FLAW MOTHERFU***R).

Final thoughts

This headphone/ these ear speakers are a beast. They feel like large speakers strapped to your ear for your listening convenience.
    They render music expansive and lifelike, authentic and sparkly, emotional and detailed. They are a friendly kind of beast and will not offend you for no reason, but they will also not hide things from you.

The only way I can truly describe them is beautiful. I find myself wanting for more. When previously I had enough after 30min., I can now listen to a whole album without strain.

Yeah, yeah... bUt ItS nOt NeUtRal.
    To that I say: Neutral - Schmeutral!

I am not interested in your false beauty standards! Real frequency responses have curves!
    Honestly though, the 007mk2 vs the 009 dilemma is the same as the thin blonde super-model vs. the lovely brunette with boobs (or chest hair. Whichever you might prefer). The image I'm trying to paint here is that the SR-009 and SR-007mk2 are both pretty much perfect representations of a breed of headphones, separated not by technical superiority but by personal preference. What is it going to be? Cold-Neutral and detailed? Or Warm-Neutral and organic?

13. nebrquart

nebrquart Member

I used the Sennheiser HD 599 SE for the last 2 years and i liked them. This is the best open back headphoe for comfty. I also have a sundaras cost 400$. Considering those things i thought Sennheiser's are the safest bet or dt 880 600 ohm + liquid spark, but i don’t know how that combo would perform.

14. Nar65co

Nar65co Well-Known Member

Yamaha YH-1 Orthodynamic headphones. Owned a pair 40 years ago and have not heard anything as three-dimensional, open, and 'airy' since. Miss 'em.

Mark L., beep and Ham Sandwich like this.
  15. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Right now I have the HD598 (rarely use these anymore since I dont have an office at the moment, I had used them there and the others at home), HD6XX and Grado Hempphones for open, and Sennhesier Momentum 2 for closed. I am looking for another pair of closed that are more "fun" to complement the HD6XX. The Sony MDR Z1R are my long-term goal but cant do $1700 at the moment

After reading through this I am thinking maybe the Meze Classics but open to spending a little bit more if anyone has a specific recommendation. Was also thinking the Elegia since it can be had for around $500 these days but see mixed reviews on that one regarding whether it can be considered "fun" and how much it complements the HD6XX

I dont have any planar magnetic yet but everything I read seems like they are better with open back so holding off on getting another open for now since I am satisfied with the Grado and HD6XX

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Picked up a B-stock ZMF Veritè open during the November sale. Paired with a Feliks Echo II OTL amp. I haven’t been able to put them down since I got them.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  17. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I have several pairs of headphones of different flavors. For open-back, I have Grade SR-60's and Sennheiser HD580's. For closed, I have Beyer DT-770's. And I have Cardas A8's for in-ear. I like them all for different purposes.

I'd really like to get another set of closed-back headphones. Ideally, I'm looking for great isolation, even frequency response, and a huge soundstage. Any thoughts? I've eyed some of the pricier Beyerdynamic and Sony offerings, but I'm not sure what all I should look at. I'm not sure if I'll spend $500 or $1k. I doubt I'd spend more than that.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Go visit The Source AV in LA. They have a selection of closed headphones that are in the $500 to $1000 range. From Sony, Dan Clark Audio, Focal, and others.

Bryan T likes this.
  19. wrxr7

wrxr7 Forum Resident

Like you, I have a pair of Grados (SR325) and Senns (HD580). I've had them for close to 20 years now. Mostly listen to the Senns.

Recently, I got the itch for a new set of headphones, and decided I wanted to try planars. I decided on the Hifiman Edition XS, which just arrived yesterday.

My normal signal chain is: AR-XA turntable-->Parks Audio Puffin (digital out)-->Topping E30 DAC-->Adcom preamp-->Gilmore Lite headphone amp.

Now, I admit that I've only listened to them for about an hour, but the Hifimans are really something. The first thing I noticed is how much more detail I can hear. I always play Aja when I change something or want to test something, and there was just something different about Fagen's voice. It was more...real. I heard nuances that I never heard before.

The thing that impressed me the most was how much better cymbals sounded. As a drummer, I've always been sensitive to how cymbals sound, and I've never heard them sound so good. The "ping" and decay sounded so much more real to me.

Again, nothing in my setup changed except for the phones, but the difference in sound is remarkable. If you can, definitely give planars a try.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. sillyoldfart5

sillyoldfart5 Active Member

Grain audio OEHP-01's

21. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Grado SR80e. Very nice. Someday I'd like to move up the Grado chain and experience one of their higher-end models.

22. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I definitely will give planar a shot soon. Especially considering what I have read about the bass and speed with them. Sounds like that would be good for something like Iron Maiden which is the one metal band I do sit and listen to with headphones from time to time. Although most of my headphone listening is more relaxed music than that (classic rock, new wave, etc)

First priority is upgrading the Sennheiser momentum. Will probably still use those for travel and sitting at Starbucks and such, but I need a closed back at home

wrxr7 likes this.
  23. JonT

JonT Mork calling Orson, come in Orson...

I also use an Icon Audio HP8 - in this case, with Sennheiser HD800S - and I am similarly very, very impressed.

24. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Have had the HD600 since it first came out …. so 20 years or so. I’ve recently been thinking about upgrading, perhaps to the 800s. Last year I replaced my equally ancient X-Cans amp with the Meridian Prime duo. I don’t listen to phones all that much though.

25. JonT

JonT Mork calling Orson, come in Orson...

This was the precise move I made about 18 months ago: HD600 to 800S.

It was one of those few hifi moves I've done over the years that was unambiguously an improvement...

... but with caveats.

(1) personally I found the HD600 easier to wear;

(2) took me a while to get a partnering headphone amp that worked well across most (if not all) recordings. The wonderful inner detail and head-stage of the HD800S is fantastic, but can sound a bit strident and thin on certain recordings. For me, the frequency response of the Icon HP8 (which has a tiny bump in the bass and tiny dip in the upper mids) solved the stridency. The output impedance of the HP8 and its serious wattage also worked magic on the HD800S.

[I'd used a Graham Slee ULDE with the HD600s. Later I tried a Pathos Aurium, SPL Phonitor, and ifi Pro iCAN before eventually landing on the HP8]