What are your least favorite TV cartoon characters?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Andrew, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's funny how all of those Japanese animation things are "cool" now.

When I was a kid, we laughed at the crappy animation. Now it's like a badge of honor to not be animated or something. Weird.

It's like being a teenage girl and having a big stomach from too much fast food or something and wearing low cut jeans like a badge of honor at the mall. In my day, no girl would dare to wear such a thing if she didn't have a perfect stomach. Heh.

GuildX700 and Larry Mc like this.
  2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Have to concur. I know a lot of that stuff has nostalgic value for people, but for cartoons to receive my attention and admiration they have to be funny, or visually innovative, or well-animated, or offer vivid characterization, or some combination of the above. Too much of the H-B stuff, even going back to the later theatrical Tom & Jerrys, lacked all of those qualities.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I just picked up "Tide & Seek" at Target on Sunday, in fact. :D

I see a few echoes of the classic Warner Bros. animation in some of the Spongebob animation, which is probably why I like it. Along with some undersea sight gags and quotable lines that I repeat often around the house. :) My girls do a passable impression of the live-action beginning to the "lost episode" in fact. :D (My 9-year-old is like an echo--she can repeat an ENTIRE DVD's worth of dialog when she watches these.)

Rugrats I can't get into--the only item of interest there is that the former leader of Devo, Mark Mothersbaugh, does the music. And it's cheesy synth stuff too.

Powerpuff Girls, the series, I can tolerate. The movie was really intense--I can see why it had a PG rating on it. Also, the narrator and mayor are voiced by "Spongebob" (Tom Kenny).

As for other animations, well...think of who they are geared to. I actually find "Rolie Polie Olie" a bit clever (especially some of the site gags), but it IS geared to preschoolers. A PBS 'toon, Dragon Tales, has to be one of the corniest things I've ever laid eyes on, but the kids still like it. At least "Clifford The Big Red Dog" is a little better, since John Ritter does the voice of Clifford and the stories and voices aren't so bizarre.

4. -=Rudy=-

Agreed there. I don't know if it was the *sole* purpose of the H-B animations, but it seems as though they were made as cheaply as possible...the animation isn't as fluid as something you'd find from Warner Bros' animation studios. (Even Chuck Jones in his "Chuck Amuck" autobiography mentions H-B's success, at the cost of artistic elements.)

Let me put it this way. I used to watch Flintstones after school on Channel 50 way back in the 70's, every day. Along with that half hour (or was it an hour?) of Warner Bros. cartoons. To this day, I can quote just about every line from some of my favorite WB cartoons, and have good memories of most of the others...and to this day, I can't remember ONE SINGLE Flintstones episode. (Never watched any other H-B animations at length--they either weren't on at an hour I watched TV, or just never engaged me enough.)

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree. The animation is also very creative.

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

My least favorite of those I have seen (and there are many I haven't seen) is everyone on "King of the Hill." I think it just reminds me too much of people I grew up. To get into more detail would cross into a political discussion, so I won't go there.

7. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I hate Scrappy Doo.

Garfield is my least favorite "strip cartoon".

Is Ronald Reagan in the running??

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Simba, the White Lion, Scrappy Doo and all the "baby" versions of cartoons, Baby Looney Toons, Baby Muppets etc...

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Ren and Stimpy. Maybe I just don't understand it.

I'll probably get boo'd for this, but I never liked Tom & Jerry. I thought it may be the missing dialog but I dislike the episodes with voices even more.

10. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I know that for many this is sacreligious, but I've never liked the Chuck Jones Warner Brothers cartoons, or at least not the latter work. I've just never liked his style. I think it looks awful compared to the orginal work from the 40's & 50's. And Hana Barbara is too painful to watch.

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Sorry folks, I could never get into Popeye.

Can't stomach Japanese Anime either. See the ending of episode 4 of Clerks: The Animated Series for a good explaination

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Least favorite: Ren & Stimpy circa 2003

I think I dislike the characters in these recent cartoons even more then I disliked them when they were taken away from Spumco around 1993. I liked the characters during the first run of Spumcos circa 1991-1992, though.

Regards,

13. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I liked the "Garfield and Friends" animated series that appeared in the early '90s. Garfield's voice, the late Lorenzo Music, was perfect. There was a short lived strip "US Acres" that took place on a farm led by Orson Pig.

Anyone remember the animated version of "Mother Goose and Grimm"? It had a sub story where you would zoom in on Grimmy's fur and see what the fleas were up to. I would love to see repeats of that one.

My favorite short lived comic strip cartoon that's still on the air in repeats is Dilbert. The voices are perfect. I tried to find the show when it was on originally (1999) but never found it. Now I watch it every Sunday night on Comedy Central.

Tim

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I liked Garfield and Friends and also those US Acres cartoons that were interspersed into the Garfield cartoons as well.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My least favorite cartoons are a lot of today's generation of cartoons, especially Dragonball Z (I'm not into much anime at all although Speed Racer is a classic), Powerpuff Girls, etc.

16. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

My leasgt favorite has got to be the snokels, Fntastic Max, And all those horrible 80's shows where it was the kid version of the cartoon characters ( a pup named scooby doo, Flintstone kids, etc.) or the cartoon characters offsping ( remeber Popeye and son???) However I liked Muppet Babies and Tiny Toons. However my favorite cartoon show has got to be Freakazoid!!!! Love it Love it Love it. The jokes come out of left field especially the last episode where the special guest star is Norm Abrahm (the carpenter for This old House) Funny stuff.

17. spillville

spillville New Member

If memory serves, I thought the 3 Stooges cartoons were pretty awful.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Any post 1977 cartoon made for children...after Hong Kong Phoey, it all went kaplooey!

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Ken, I agree with you 1000%! I loved the original Spumco cartoons, only to see it take a sharp turn into mediocrity with Nick taking it over. However, the recent Spumco cartoons are an abomination. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I dislike the emphasis on Ren & Stimpy's gayness. Very inappropriate for this cartoon.

Evan

20. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Captain Planet and/or the Planeteers. UGH!

21. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

1) The Smurfs.
    2) Scrappy Doo
    3) The Smurfs
    4) Everything produced during the 80's-90's (Except for Beavis & Butt-Head, Two Stupid Dogs, and some of the Cartoon Network originals).
    5) Scrappy Doo
    6) Underdog
    7) The Smurfs
    8) Cheap TerryToons cartoons.
    9) Scrappy Doo
    10) The Smurfs.

Did I mention I hate Scrappy Doo and The Smurfs?

22. -=Rudy=-

Grant: our resident poet laureate! :D

23. James RD

James RD Senior Member

Felix the Cat. Damn, I hated that stupid cat.

24. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

They were indeed!! As were the animated Laurel & Hardy!

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You don't like Underdog??? I grew up with that cartoon!

Also, I think The Simpsons is great, right along with Beavis & Butthead and South Park! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.