What Are Your Top Five Christmas Albums From The Golden Age (1950's to the 1960's) ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RSteven, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I've got four.

A Christmas Gift for You From Philles Records
    Elvis' Christmas Album (original version)
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
    Christmas with The Chipmunks

Rockford & Roll and RSteven like this.
  2. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Rita Ford Music Box Christmas! Fantastic, I love the idea of Christmas music played on Quality music boxes.

Also, I love that Ames Brothers album that I picked up last year from Real Gone

RSteven and MaestroDavros like this.
  3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I did not know people hated Buble so much. The only Christmas music I have from him is an ep called Let It Snow which has a version of I'll Be Home For Christmas that never fails to make me tear up.

4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, Michael Bublé is actually one of the most popular recording acts in the world with something like over 60 million records sold, so I would not be too worried that some critics or people take a shot at him every now and then. Remember, I lot of early critics were not to kind to Elvis Presley and accused him of not even being able to sing, which now seems patently absurd. In fact, I would argue that the more popular an artist seems to be, the more likely that jealousy and envy will rear its ugly head. Bublé also once sold out 12 straight shows in London at the o2 Arena and is a huge worldwide concert draw on the live circuit. I also highly recommend his ten million selling full Christmas album from 2011 as it is truly stupendous.

dualstacker likes this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

My post was based on a few comments made here. I assumed he was well liked but had to wonder after reading a couple of posts mentioning this.

RSteven likes this.
  6. RSteven

Yes indeed, I do know what you mean, but I guess I will just quote a line from that Taylor Swift song, "Haters are gonna hate." I am sure some people get irritated seeing how often his Christmas album has entered the top ten on the Billboard pop album chart as well. I think its now something like a record seven straight years. I am sure his worldwide success rubs some people the wrong way even though he has a huge fan base around the globe. What was it W.C. Fields said, "You can't please all the people, all the time?"

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. He's got nothing on Mariah's All I Want For Christmas Is You and it's annual appearance on the Hot 100. Should be commencing in 3...2...1!

RSteven likes this.
  8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

9. RSteven

You are so right about that one coming very soon and very often. It's funny that you mention that song, because one of my very favorite cuts on Bublé's very fine Christmas album is his complete re-work of that song as he slows it way down and turns it into this very stunning and gorgeous ballad. Bublé got the idea to sing it this way from his bass player, who was playing the melody as a very slow and romantic instrumental, and Bublé credits him with the great arrangement on his version that he recorded. It is probably just about my favorite cut on the whole album, but I also dig his big band arrangements on the well known Christmas standards as well.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. RSteven

A truly great choice and only about the third Christmas album that my parents bought for their main holiday rotation, after John Klein's A Christmas Sound Spectacular and Johnny Mathis's Merry Christmas album. Angelic vocals from Mr. Campbell and great orchestral arrangements by Al De Lory make for a truly potent combination.

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Dang it! I so don't want to burn out on Christmas before December but this thread is making that nigh impossible! Any Thanksgiving songs out there??

Lewisboogie and RSteven like this.
  12. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Here's one! The Man In Black did some nice Christmas music, too.

peter1 and RSteven like this.
  13. RSteven

Okay this song and the album it comes from falls a outside the Golden Age as it was recorded in 1980, but the Johnny Cash Classic Christmas album kind of fits into the sound of the Golden Age as it features some fine string and horn arrangements from the great Nashville conductor, Bill Walker, who did a lot of Eddy Arnold's great orchestrations. This song always brings a tear to my ear whenever I hear it, The Christmas Guest, brought to you by The Man in Black.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    BeatleJWOL and Pierino like this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Aretha got into the act circa '64 before she soared.

Right about now, I'm positive my neighbors think I've gone off the deep end.

RSteven likes this.
  15. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Really dig this thread! Was at my parents house today (they’re both 93 and live together with no assistance, about they’re only concession to age is they’re both hard of hearing) and confiscated they’re old Christmas records. They don’t have a player anymore. Some have been mentioned here and some haven’t. Must of been a ton of copies of the Firestone record made. I’ve seen dozens while record digging. I did leave they’re Lawrence Welk Christmas album. I remember even as a little kid I couldn’t stand Lawrence Welk. I did cop the Lennon Sisters, though!

16. RSteven

Those are some awesome looking albums and they look to be in such fine condition. Yes indeed, you scored nicely with that Lennon Sisters Christmas album!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

The Sinatra Family Wishes You a Merry Christmas is mostly a cheesy, if enjoyable, offering. But the highlight is this wonderful song written by Jimmy Webb and sung by Nancy Sinatra.

Brian Mc, RSteven and Manapua like this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Nancy cut some great sides. Nice. Can't go wrong with Mr. Webb.

19. RSteven

This fact is so true and very noteworthy. The lost art of doing these type of traditional Christmas albums is a little heartbreaking and your right about both those more modern albums by Count Basie and Michael Bublé fitting right in with the Golden Age of Christmas. I think Herb Alpert's new Christmas album from last year was similar to the great instrumental artists like Percy Faith and Mantovani as well, but these types of albums that resemble the iconic artists from the Golden Age are few and far between.

Lewisboogie and PhantomStranger like this.
  20. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

The Steve Hoffman mastered Gold DCC release was available brand new for really cheap last year, around $8. I see that a new copy this year starts at $30. If people don't have it, get it while you can afford it!

21. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Sorry for being slightly off topic, I saw 50s and this is what I thought of...
    I also REALLY like the early mono Perry Como Christmas stuff
    And found a Mario Lanza 45 RCA Christmas set on red vinyl for about 3 bucks in pretty good shape...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  22. RSteven

You beat me to the punch as I was just going to recommend our fine host's remasterd Gold DCC version of that album.

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Another one from the "classic" era. I loved these staged Christmas photos that were used for the album covers.

[​IMG]

Scourge and Rockford & Roll like this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Listening to Percy Faith's White Christmas has put me in the mood for snow covered everything. And I live on a friggin' tropical island.

RSteven likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

[​IMG]

The top of the heap. Then I guess...

The Chipmunks
    The Dean Martin Christmas Album
    Mitch Miller

And another favorite-

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.