What Artist(S) Is The MOST Unlikely To Reissue Their Back Catalog Anytime Soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Nov 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

I'm gonna guess a certain G. Glitter.

ARK and kundryishot like this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

"What Artist(S) Is The MOST Unlikely To Reissue Their Back Catalog Anytime Soon?"

Most of them...

3. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Their mail orders have been quick and well-packed, but they certainly don’t answer any queries. I think there are only 3 people working there at the most

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There was the Phil Spector album box a few years ago

5. Wil1972

Wil1972 'Nader Dodgin' Champ

Styx. I know they did a vinyl reissue awhile back but I'm thinking CD and digital download remasters. Outside of that Gold collection I'm not sure their classic era albums as a whole has seen an upgrade ever beyond the vinyl set I mentioned. I think their master tapes were lost in that Universal fire.

6. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

True! And it was a pretty fine set overall. I was thinking of the more recent general trend to downplay Spector’s role in some of his later projects, along with the possible mess that is his estate. Estate (among other) issues have brought James Brown reissues to a near standstill, and I imagine that Spector’s situation could have similarities.

Given the prevailing sentiment toward Spector at the time of his death, I don’t expect that we’ll see much revisiting of his catalog in the future - (which is a shame, IMO) - unless it’s a promotion that emphasizes the named performers, with a de-emphasis of their status as Philles Records, or as the products of Spector as auteur producer.

I realize that Spector is a thorny subject, and don’t want to derail the thread, however.

7. BradOlson

Many of the A&M masters have been destroyed in the fire.

Wil1972 likes this.
  8. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Pat Benatar.

Other than her first three albums being remastered (badly) and reissued in 2006, her back catalogue remains completely ignored.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  9. Wil1972

Wil1972 'Nader Dodgin' Champ

I thought so. Couldn't remember for sure.

10. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Classic era Heart. I’d love to see multi disc remasters with bonus tracks up through Passionworks.

DesertHermit likes this.
  11. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Pablo Cruise. Now there’s a band that has been largely forgotten in the mists of time.

BradB and Instant Dharma like this.
  12. BradOlson

Again, many of the master tapes of A&M Records were destroyed in the fire.

13. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

If I may mention a label rather than an artist; the King & Starday lines. I've railed about them on these threads before; While Chess & Sun have had many retrospectives galore every few years, many artists from Little Willie John to Red Sovine on King & Starday have had nothing but cheap scraps brought out. Much has remained in the vault for 60 to 70 years.

drift likes this.
  14. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

It’s all in print. What is there to reissue?

15. versionsound

basically everything Black Flag ever released is still in print:

SST Superstore: Black Flag

There are quite a few Husker Du and Minutemen releases that are still available as well, but it seems like I can only post one link per post. Look for them in the SST Superstore. Most Husker Du is in print and lots of Minutemen.

Uncle_Meat likes this.
  16. arem

arem Forum Resident

De La Soul. Even if they weren’t in a massive dispute with their old label Tommy Boy (they did win their digital rights recently), the sample clearance issues would prevent there ever being quality deluxe re-issue versions of their classic LP’s. I have all the original vinyl, but they deserve the deluxe treatment.

ARK and DesertHermit like this.
  17. arem

arem Forum Resident

I wouldn’t trust SST with my mail order money these days. Plus, as notoriously cheap as Ginn is he’s probably using the same metalwork from 20-30 years ago to get stuff pressed.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  18. versionsound

I bought a copy of I Against I from them not too long ago. I have no complaints whatsoever about the service, and the record sounds fine to me.

arem likes this.
  19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I mailordered from SST earlier this year and got my records in like 5 days

versionsound and arem like this.
  20. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

21. But you can buy blankets and other crap. Whaddya want ??

22. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Sorry. I was thinking in terms of deluxe editions with bonus stuff, remasters, fancy color vinyl, etc. Fugazi isn't likely do that sort of thing in my humble opinion.

23. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

The Trustees of his Estate may see things differently :D

hoping, wishing....

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Sadly, The Irish Rovers

only one of their first 6
    albums has been issued
    on compact disc

25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I think their newer pressings are remastered, starting from the early or mid 2010s. I vaguely remember seeing that on a promo sticker or two. And they did a red pressing of the first EP recently!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.