What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

Yeah, I knew I'd paralyze you with that question. :D But it's funny how some of this is timing--you were ready for the next step of rock and roll, and you just so happened to hear Pet Sounds a that time. What if you'd heard Sgt. Pepper's or Who's Next instead?

You must have a cool Dad if he likes Bowie.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Quite simply, all the Bowie I have.

Fletch likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

CHANGESBOWIE

bluesky likes this.
  4. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

I've only ever had an MP3 of Low, so listening to that now. Been trying to build up my Bowie vinyl collection for a couple years now and I have everything from Man Who Sold to Scary Monsters, save for Low and Lodger (which is on its way), and this was waiting for me when I got home from work!

[​IMG]
    And yes, I'll be playing it at my Bowie party tomorrow.

5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Man that was brutal. :sweating:Who do you like more?

6. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Hours
    1. Outside
    Santa Monica '72
    Blackstar
    One of my compilations.

7. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

[​IMG]

Found it! Now I can relax. :sweating: Anyway, I keep the cassette liner notes/lyrics with the record because my used vinyl copy doesn't have the inner sleeve/lyrics.

8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I've been streaming the few albums I never purchased...

Last Day - Extended EP
    Outside
    Reality

I've also seen Buddha of Suburbia, which I only know as an album track. Is this worth a listen?

9. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

BLACKSTAR
    NOTHING HAS CHANGED (Single-CD Japan-only release)
    PIN-UPS (the 2015 mix)

... and, beyond that, probably just more of BLACKSTAR ... "Lazarus" is just amazing.

Joti Cover, JoeF. and sound chaser like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I listened to the 1989 Sound & Vision box, the 1990 Ryko editions of Hunky Dory, The Man Who Sold The World, Space Oddity, an Italian import of Stage and Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps). All on vinyl, too.

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. wavethatflag

Probably Bowie. I like the Beach Boys and even Brian Wilson's That Lucky Old Sun (I really like that one for some reason), but, yeah, Bowie.

13. wavethatflag

Not really a Tin Machine fan, but I haven't listened to that stuff in years, not that I ever bought the album. I thought Tin Machine was a great idea for Bowie at the time, but it lacked good songs as I remember. That would be good streaming material for me, and if I liked it I'd pick it up.

I identify with your obsessiveness though. :D

Scroller likes this.
  14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Don't ignore this'un...

[​IMG]

15. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

random : the man who sold the world diamond dogs station to station outside(one of the one's i had not really heard before,not sure about it.it seemed as if he was maybe trying too hard).there is a broad swath of bowie i didn't really listen to and trying to listen out of context presents a bit of a problem.

sound chaser likes this.
  16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Well, we listened (and watched) 52 Bowie videos on AT&T's U-Verse Stingray App yesterday. Some great stuff in there. Put 40 on a Bowie only playlist. Tomorrow Blackstar CD & Vinyl will arrive. Vinyl will go on the turntable, CD in the car. Also Heathen vinyl is begging to be played so that'll get sorted as well.

17. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Would Labyrinth be considered a Bowie album? That and the Early On 64-66 are the only 2 Bowie "albums" I never got round to getting, but am interested in tracking down now.

18. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I keep going back to "Aladdin Sane", and "Station To Station." I'm hoping to acquire a vinyl copy of "Low" in the not too distant future.

chumlie likes this.
  19. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

Hunky Dory, because it's the first Bowie album I ever heard (it was new at the time), and it's never lost its freshness for me.
    Aladdin Sane, because it's my favorite.
    Other than the hits, there's a lot of Bowie I've never heard. I don't know why I drifted away, and I'll do something about that this year. I'm still shocked by his death. In fact, I'm surprised by how shocked I am.

20. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Yeah, Tin Machine always seemed like a hard sell for Bowie fans, though I have seen several on this forum emerge from the woodwork praising them. I always liked TM. Bought the cassette back in '89 when it came out. You're right, though. Maybe the songs aren't very memorable but I always liked how they were experimental and pushing the limits of pop structure. Time to reassess this stuff!

21. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I'm in agreement on Outside...still it'll fall into place one day. Heathen was the same. Bought a used cd copy and wondered what all the fuss was about...then one day it was a "oh I get it now" moment. Just more sad spooky coincidence that Heathen opens with Sunday.....
    To answer the thread question: All Saints Collected Instrumentals.

22. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Station to Station had been feeling right this week.

sound chaser and wavethatflag like this.
  23. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I remember all the videos from the first TM album playing on MTV. They would play them very late at night from what I recall. I thought they were brilliant. The albums haven't really aged that well, but I'm still rather sentimental about them as they were the true start of my Bowie fandom.

24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'm listening to SiriusXMs temporary Bowie channel. Well curated-popular tunes but less heard stuff as well.

RonBaker and wavethatflag like this.
  25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

MTV were ALL over Tin Machine when the band started. I taped everything and it's all gone now as I had to ditch my vhs tape collection. Most of it is probably on Youtube now, though.

I pulled out my Heathen sacd and played the 5.1 today - excellent!