What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Off the beaten path stuff...

BOWPROMO1 - Hunky Dory Alt. Mixes
    1983 Rehearsals with Stevie Ray Vaughn - Dallas, Texas - April 1983
    Earl's Court - 01-July-78 Partial Soundboard (I love the live versions of "What In The World" and "Sound And Vision" from this one)

I'm also watching videos from the "Best Of Bowie" DVD collection. I love watching the long form "Jazzin' For Blue Jean" video. It always makes me laugh!

Solace and wavethatflag like this.
  2. I've always loved the song Absolute Beginners ever since I saw a preview of the film with director Julian Temple. It always sounded like it could haven been A George Harrison solo song with its minor chord changes and arrangement. Such a stunning record.

Loving it all over again.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Forgot the Beeb

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Further off the beaten path. Have you seen what Tin Machine II is going for on Discogs?
    Why did it disappear off the radar so quickly? I understood it was easier to digest than Tin Machine.

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Started with Blackstar. Needed a breather. Listened to Man Who Sold..., Hunky, Aladdin, Diamond Dogs, Low, Heroes, and Outside. Then return to Blackstar. Played 2000 bbc live cd tonight in bed.

Clanceman and wavethatflag like this.
  6. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I have a mix of Cat People (Putting Out Fire) made by some guy who posted his own mixes online back in 2006 or so. It is 13 minutes long and comprises every known version of the song including the Australia only 12" extended mix.
    Reminder to self: make backup now!!

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I could only do Blackstar and The Next Day, this week. I'll try the older material again this weekend.

8. Bowie Fett

9. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Hunky Dory
    Ziggy Stardust Live DVD
    The Man Who Sold The World
    Sirius XM David Bowie Channel

10. Bowie Fett

"Word On A Wing" came to mind when I first heard the news...

Scope J likes this.
  11. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

I'm making CD-r's of every album with as many bonus tracks as I can find from the particular era to fill up the CD. Having the rykos, Re:Call1, some anniversary editions and quite a few bootlegs helps in this regard. Some of the albums will be a little bare on bonus tracks, but hopefully the next few box sets give us some of the unreleased stuff that Bowie held on to all these years. I know there's gotta be some good outtakes from the Berlin trilogy and Station to Station

12. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Blackstar

Scope J likes this.
  13. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Black Star
    space oddity (deluxe)
    And hours
    For some reason since I heard the news despite that
    Ziggy, Dory and Station are my favorites and I haven't put them on

14. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I had my Ryko Sound+Vision discs out for listening in the car before Sirius reactivated their Bowie station.

I've also listened to Blackstar several times this week. It's been very comforting. The Next Day got a spin as well.

And I've immersed myself in the many tribute that have been posted online. So many great ones. Glen Hansard, Lena Hall, El Vy and the church bells/organists have been my favorites.

15. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

The Next Day

Low

Hunky Dory

Scope J likes this.
  16. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Blackstar and Santa Monica '72, with The Next Day, Aladdin Sane, and Diamond Dogs on deck for a spin. I could've sworn I had a copy of David Live, but I've been unable to find it.

Video-wise, I've watched the BBC docus Cracked Actor and Five Years.

17. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Don't know about international distribution of Tin Machine II but the American label went bankrupt. Was it reissued? Stateside, the album was heavily criticized and sold poorly. As for accessibility, it strikes me as less forceful than the debut, meaning that there is more variety, more space, tempo variations. One reason the album was criticized was "Stateside," a standard blues song with Hunt Sales singing lead. If I recall correctly, there is video footage of the band playing a country song... Bowie singing... at a Japanese concert. That was a misstep, too.

18. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Blackstar and Changesbowie

19. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Blackstar pretty much two or three times a day and also Hunky Dory (my first Bowie album given to me when I was 12 in 1986), The Man Who Sold The World, Aladdin Sane and The Next Day got a few rotations as well.

It's been a sad week.

20. Roli

Roli Forum Resident

Best Of Bowie - 2DVD

21. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

All of it.

22. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Scary Monsters ....and super freaks

23. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Nothing. His passing hit me so hard, I'm not listening to any Bowie yet. I have to give it some more time. Didn't even find a copy of ''Blackstar'' yet. Listened to it last weekend over the internet many times over and loved it. Was planning on bying the black vinyl edition on his birthday, but it snowed so heavily, so I had to stay home. Don't have any record store in my town. When monday came we got the bad news.

24. weirdmikebeard

weirdmikebeard Forum Resident

Blackstar a couple of times this week.
    Young Americans, Black Tie White Noise, Tin Machine, Let's Dance, BBC 2000, Iggy Pop The Idiot.

25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I'm guessing you've seen / heard the version filmed at the BBC invite-only concert in 2000? It's just wonderful, sublime. I can't yet watch it since his death though.

I haven't listened to much. I was kind of burned out on Bowie until about two weeks before he died. His 1970-1981 and 1995-2002 "eras" were and are part of my lifeblood, but I rested from them, until about a week before he died, when I had a huge urge to hear the entire Scary Monsters album and did so, very loudly as I walked across West-Central London to some tasks.

Since he died, apart from clips I've seen on TV, I have at chosen, separate moments in my thoughts, sat down with only..

Seven (Marius De Vries mix)
    Heathen (the Rays)
    Dead Against It
    Under Pressure
    An Occasional Dream