What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I finally got back a vast quantity of my old CD collection, among which was the now out of print deluxe edition of Station to Station. Listened to that in full. Also listened to the Let's Dance album in full for the first time, got a re-mastered 1998 CD. Otherwise I've heard various Bowie songs from 1964 to 2013 every now and then throughout the week, among other artists.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hunky Dory, Young Americans, Station to Station.

3. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

So far I've listened to Blackstar, Low, Diamond Dogs, Station to Station and Scary Monsters. Today I will listen to David Live which I found in a used records store yesterday.

4. I played Station To Station and Hunky Dory a few days ago. The first thing I reached for though was Young Americans, that was the first thing that came into my head when I heard the news...'am I still too young?'. Then I moved on to the Baal mini album. Not his songs or music but just brilliant interpretations of Brecht's bitter-sweet poetry. Magical.
    I played side 2 of Low this morning. I'm not so sad now, just thankful for the beauty of something like 'Subterraneans'.

gr8trak, JL6161 and richard a like this.
  5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

The Best Of Bowie 2 cd from early 2000`s? I grabbed it to play in my car and even there this mastering sounds really off.I love the music,plenty of late 80`s 90`s stuff I lost awareness of wich is all really great music to discover all over again.I`d love to track down better sounding records.

6. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

This week: Bowie At The Beeb, Low and Blackstar.

Sean likes this.
  7. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Oddly the When the Wind Blows soundtrack on vinyl. Bowie's only on the title track.

weirdmikebeard likes this.
  8. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Hunky Dory was the first album I played Monday evening when I got home from work, having heard the news. That's the first Bowie album I bought, back in 1982. Then I played Low, for the first time in ages. What an album! Today it's been Blackstar and Hours so far.
    Have been really sad this whole week. Now I'm planning to revisit albums I haven't listened to in a long time. And everything else, in no particular order. Bowie all weekend for me.

deany76 likes this.
  9. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Working in order just finished Tonight (not as bad as I remembered, just horrid production)

Young American's, Pinups and Lodger are vastly underrated records and Scary Monsters remains one of my fave pop records of the 80's sadly after the trio of hits opening 'Let's Dance' things start to get ropey until Black Tie.... Then it's a pretty solid run.

His 70's run of records are terrific and remain his best work (though Blackstar is way up there)

10. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

He was my first musical hero in the 70's but I've still not seen and heard a lot of newer music.

I was lucky enough to see him 7 August 1990 at the old Manchester City football ground, fantastic live show, one of my top five.

I'm going to get into Blackstar.
    Watch 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' for first time (free on amazon prime UK)
    and source this amazing value DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Bowie-DVD-David/dp/B000N4S8VQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452941190&sr=8-2&keywords=david bowie dvd (I would much prefer a iTunes copy though so may wait)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  11. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

"47 tracks and a playing time of 4hr 12mins + Easter Eggs" ^

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Also listened to Bowie Rare, side 1 of Low and Santa Monica 72 while searching for Hunky Dory.

14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

The Man Who Sold The World
    Hunky Dory
    Ziggy
    Aladdin Sane
    Young Americans
    Let's Dance
    Scary Monsters
    The Next Day
    parts of Nothing Has Changed

next up, my Pinups vinyl copy

15. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

One of the first albums I bought, released 20 May 1976.

I bought it around '78 aged 14.

The album was ranked number 425 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

I have made a Playlist in Google Play music (inc "John, I’m Only Dancing (Sax version) (from the non-album single of the same name, 1972) )
    so will enjoy again, thanks for posting iconic photo album cover.

All songs written by David Bowie unless otherwise noted.

Side one
    1. "Space Oddity" (from Space Oddity, 1969) – 5:14
    2. "John, I’m Only Dancing (Sax version) (from the non-album single of the same name, 1972) – 2:43
    3. "Changes" (from Hunky Dory, 1971) – 3:33
    4. "Ziggy Stardust" (from Ziggy Stardust, 1972) – 3:13
    5. "Suffragette City" (from Ziggy Stardust) – 3:25
    6. "The Jean Genie" (from Aladdin Sane, 1973) – 4:03
    Side two
    1. "Diamond Dogs" (from Diamond Dogs, 1974) – 5:56
    2. "Rebel Rebel" (from Diamond Dogs) – 4:30
    3. "Young Americans" (from Young Americans, 1975) – 5:10
    4. "Fame" (Single edit) (Bowie, Carlos Alomar, John Lennon) (from the single RCA 2579, 1975 and Young Americans) – 3:30
    5. "Golden Years" (from Station to Station, 1976) – 3:59

OldSoul and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

man who sold the world
    low

17. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Low
    "Heroes"
    Lodger
    Station To Station
    Scary Monsters
    Heathen

And I listended to "Outside" for the first time in years and actually liked it though it is still too long.

German TV aired a show from 1996 (Rockpalast) last week, which made me listen to "Outside" again.

OldSoul and Maurice like this.
  18. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

For those who are interested, it's this show:

19. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Santa Monica '72. A peak. With Ronno.

mark renard likes this.
  20. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Still processing Blackstar but I've also been heavily listening to live Bowie, particularly Stage, a live set from 1996 in Loreley, Germany (please someone make a legit release of this!!), the live Nassau Coliseum show from the Station to Station deluxe set, and the live BBC set from 2000 that came with Bowie at the Beeb.

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I went back to my DVD-A 5.1 version (remixed by Visconti) of David Live and enjoyed it. He definitely wasn't afraid to reimagine his arrangements pretty radically at times, which probably explains why this album met with a mixed reaction--it has a very different kind of feel than the old Spiders stuff--but I think that the experiments work more often than not. It's an interesting transitional document as he moved from glam/art-rock mode towards a more soul inflected sound.

I've been going more for the early 70s classics like Hunky Dory and Ziggy so far this week. My friend will be over tonight and I daresay we'll be paying tribute to the great man over a bottle of wine.

22. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

It's been Blackstar, Low, Station to Station deluxe, Young Americans, Diamond Dogs, David Bowie 1967-68 album, Heathen, and, I'm probably cheating here but Philip Glass's Heroes Symphony too.

23. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Lots of Blackstar, plus Hunky Dory, Low, Ziggy (started bawling during "Starman"), and selections from Re:Call1 .

shadow blaster likes this.
  24. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Blackstar and Low, mostly

25. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Or The Next Day, even....

Low
    Heroes
    Blackstar