What Cartridges are you using on the Technics SL1200/1210 GR TT's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm thinking of going with a Ortofon Blue or Bronze and having a second headshell with the Ortofon Mono 78 mounted (That way TA adjustments will be minimal between swap).

Thoughts? I'll be mostly playing used vinyl in VG or better shape. Plus some 40's and 50's 78's

wgb113 and punkmusick like this.
  2. Mobs

Mobs Forum Resident

3. DaleClark

4. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I currently have a Soundsmith Otello on the tonearm - love it!
    I also use an Audio-Technica VM750SH - sounds great!
    I've used a Shure V-15 Type III (JICO SAS HE stylus), and like that one, too. It is my most "polite" cart.
    I've tried an Ortofon 2M Red, and that cart sounds loud and unrefined compared to the others - especially if I'm listening critically. If I just have the music on as background, it is acceptable in a pinch.

5. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'd do bronze all the way - skip blue.

* I don't have a 1210 GR. What is good for any 1200 is good for these decks as well.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    domfjbrown and wgb113 like this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I have a 1200GR and I use a 2M mono and a 2M Bronze. I had a 2M Blue in it before, and while the Blue is very good at its price, the Bronze is clearly better.

wgb113 likes this.
  8. DaleClark

Great info

9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

If I would have gone with the 1200GR I was planning to pair it with either a Nagaoka 200 (or higher), or a HANA SL.
    Although your idea of going with the 2M line for 78 stylus is practical, I wouldn't base your decision on that. One of the best parts about having the 1200GR is the swapable headshell. Sure, you might have to reset the tracking force, but unless you're listening to a ton of 78s I just don't think it would be that practical. Pick your primary cart based on what you want. Then if they have a 78 stylus that's a plus. I wouldn't let the 78 stylus guide the decision though.

Drewan77 likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

What phono preamp are you using? The Audio Technica AT33PTG/II is a nice match for the Technics tonearm if you can handle LOMC cartridges, and a pretty nice deal at around $450 or so. Not sure how the height compares to the Ortofons, but I wouldn't think that's really a big deal with a marked VTA adjustment dial. Listening to it on my Micro Seiki with about 2-3 more grams effective mass than the Technics and it sounds really great, resonance on the low end of the good scale, but would move up a bit with your tonearm.

displayname likes this.
  11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Nagaoka MP-500

12. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Vintage Stanton 881S and Pickering XSV3000 with original stylus which sound fantastic.

13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

That Pickering is cool - old school - I used to lust after those - along with Shure V15s.

14. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

There is a seller on eBay, "witsolutions" who specializes in vintage cartridges, from whom I purchased 2 -XSV3000'S with low hour stylus for around $300 a piece. Great deal IMHO if you compare what you pay for new cartridges. He also has a ton of Shure for sale. He sells very high quality stuff.

15. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I can reccomend the Soundsmith carts. I use an Aida MkII on my 1200GR and have been loving every minute of it. Better in every way compared to my previous 2M Blue and less surface noise to boot.

displayname and patient_ot like this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

used an Ortofon 2M Black, Audiotechnica ART9, Dynavector DV20X2L and the long term player is the Ortofon Cadenza blue on the 'GR.
    Every cartridge listed sounded excellent and much better than they did on my previous VPI Traveler table.
    The Ortofon Cadenza edged out the Audiotecchnica ART9 by a hair, even though it is much more expensive.

17. LH5

LH5 Well-Known Member

Denon DL-103, the included in the box phono cables and Musical Surroundings Nova II. Any hum issue I have had before with the 103 are all gone. Magical sounding and nearly CD quiet. I am open to try out a different cartridge that's not over $500 and not an Ortofon.

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

VM740ML

I also have a KAB Concorde with ortofon 40 stylus

rebellovw and luckybaer like this.
  19. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Technics at audio shows use Ortofon 2M PNP ( Plug & Play ) with built in headshell & quick & simply to swap out stereo & mono or 78
    2M red/blue/bronze/black/mono/78
    [​IMG]
    .[​IMG]
    .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    james likes this.
  20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I also use an Ortofon 2M Bronze/Mono combo on my GR. The Bronze is a clear step up from the Blue and isn’t as finicky with setup as the Black. I have them mounted on the new Technics headshells so it’s a simple swap and slight adjustment to tracking force and anti-skate.

21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

No mention yet- Grado baby - they test all their carts on a sl1200. Sonata woody is apparently the sweet spot - I went with a Master - my best cart.

BrentB, HiFi Guy, displayname and 2 others like this.
  22. DaleClark

Will the PnP’s have correct overhang distance for a technics tonesrm? Does not look like there is any adjustment

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

It should, using the technics recommended value of 52mm.

Sterling1 likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I would suggest caution if going to the Black as there is no azimuth adjustment. And the combo is rather heavy.

25. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

V15 III or IV with Jico SAS. I use these on my 1200 mk2 so they would be my obvious choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.