What Cartridges are you using on the Technics SL1200/1210 GR TT's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks.

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Where do you get that 11g from? I ask in hopes the answer is that somebody has reliably measured it so we finally have an answer...

3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find it interesting that the 1500C has a different oem headshell (the headshell model numbers are different) than the GR. I would have figured Technics would have just used the same one.

4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I like the Shure V15V-MR. But, since this cart is 15mm tall and the Technics SL-1210GR's VTA adjustment mechanism only accomodate carts from 17mm to 23mm in height, I needed to shim the cart with a 2mm spacer to make it compliant with the Technics VTA scheme. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    patient_ot likes this.
  5. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The 1500c has a different VTA adjustment geometry than that used on the SL-1210GR. It supports 14mm to 20mm tall carts, whereas the 1210 supports 17mm to 23mm carts. This range is with as issued headshell, therefore if the headshells for these models are dimensionally different in height, interchange would change the range of each unit's VTA scheme. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the 1500c has the azimuth adjustment feature which is built into the 1200's headshell?

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Since the SL-1210GR has an azimuth adjustment feature built into the headshell it might be better to just buy the non PNP. BTW, there is now a Mk2 version of the PNP, making the additional balance weight unnecessary.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Big Blue likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not sure how they differ in materials or build, but it could be as simple as them deciding to put the Technics logo on the headshells for the latest models (G and GR don’t have the logo on the headshell).

8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is the mark2 versions identifiable?

9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yeah, the cartridge is marked.

10. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

sorry, more searching , I come up with 12g

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Rust Am

Rust Am Forum Resident

How did you adjust arm height? cartridge height is less than minimum for this arm. I just used another technics mat (6mm instead of original 3mm thickness) and dial arm height to 2.

Wonder what others do...

Sterling1 likes this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm running a slightly thicker than standard mat, so this has not been an issue for me.

Rust Am and Sterling1 like this.
  13. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Seems the high mat gets the job done. I went the shim route since I have multiple carts all different enough in height that shimming was a simpler and less expensive fix.

Rust Am likes this.
  14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

For me the mat was never intended as a fix for the VTA. It was just a happy coincidence that the best sounding mat which I have tried also happened to be a bit thicker than the stock mat.

Sterling1 likes this.
  15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

hey guys, and anyone else out there around for a random thread bump!

On your G/GR, what VTA setting do you have your concordes set up? I haven’t played mine in a while, but I plan on rolling it for fun. I always had it set to 1 because it appears ortofon runs prettt standard at a height of 18mm across all their line, but just searched their site and saw they have the concordes listed at 14mm lol. They way they measure it is the effective height which is like from center of the head of the concorde which means that figure doesn’t apply using the technics listed chart in the manual (they measure height of cart from the actual top of the cart itself). I don’t have a real way of measuring other than a notecard, so I’m curious what VTA value you settled on.

16. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have a SL-1200 MK2 that I use a v15 III or IV on. Both are equipped with a Jico SAS and if I were to purchase a 1200G or GR I would use the same cart/stylus combo.

Sterling1 likes this.
  17. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I was lucky....I acquired 2 V15 III's and a IV at reasonable prices. The Jico SAS styli that I bought for them, not so much.:D

18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

How thick is your mat? The SL-1200 MK2 that I have with the 6mm mat accommodates a 15mm cart just fine.

19. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I haven't used mine in a while, but if I recall I either used "0" or "1" with the stock 3mm mat. I've seen that 14mm measurement too, but they seem to be measuring from a different point. I think it's more like 17mm. In any event, the lined notecard measurement works pretty well. I'd start at "0" and just get it close to parallel with the lined notecard.

recstar24 likes this.
  20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

3mm

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

thanks! Same with me, it has been awhile since I’ve used it, as it plays backup to my at vm740ml, but the AT is getting relatively close to the fabled 1000 hour mark based on my little hand counter (covid19 has definitely accelerated that) so I’ll run the Concorde in when it’s time. I think originally I did 1, but ultimately dropped it to 0 based on how the notecard lined up.

snorker likes this.
  22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I was thinking about getting an AT next. Let me know how you think the Concorde 40 compares.

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I compared originally when I first received the AT. The Concorde 40 is more midcentric, the AT has much better high extension and sweetness, bass goes lower, and overall is more detailed and less colored. The Ortofon has a thicker, warmer, rounder tone, but I don’t feel it is as sweet on the top.

snorker likes this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

herbies 4mm mat and stock headshell.

25. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

A generic 1210 mk ii run with an AT VM540ML. Had to up the tone arm height

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.