What CD or Vinyl will you use to impress your guest.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy.

guy. Active Member

Joan Armatrading on our first date - now married for thirty odd years :cool:

Spin Doctor likes this.
  2. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice collections!

By the way I listened to Bette Midler on movie only not with CD or vinyl.

I may try her album to find out how good it sound.

3. thomaskong

[​IMG]

I try to be young.

Ed Sheeran - X

I received this CD from England today.

It sound marvelous with fresh vocal and wide soundstage.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  4. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

This Analogue Productions 45 RPM Elvis Presley "Elvis '57" is simply stunning if you've never heard it. Highly recommended!

[​IMG]

Nearly lost to history, Elvis 2-track masters saved by chance
    Now presented as a
    double LP cut at 45 RPM and pressed on 200-gram vinyl at Quality Record Pressings!
    Mastered at Sterling Sound
    Deluxe gatefold jacket

The discovery of these 2-track masters comprising Stereo ‘57 - The Essential Elvis Volume 2, is nothing short of a miracle, and this 200-gram pressing cut at 45 RPM from Quality Record Pressings sounds so astonishing, your jaw will hit the floor!

From the moment Elvis began working with a new song, sound engineer Thorne Norgar had the 15 ips mono tape machine rolling simultaneously with a 2-track protection copy. The machines weren't switched to pause until Elvis was satisfied with the take.

A couple of years before the advent of the stereo LP in mid-1958, major record companies were experimenting with stereophonic recordings, often refered to then as binaural. Studios were using the new Ampex 2-track tape recorders for other purposes, such as for recording session back-ups. But few Elvis fans know how close history came to permanently losing these precious audio glimpses of a young Elvis engrossed in the creative process.

Founded in 1933, Radio Recorders of Los Angeles was the preeminent recording studio of its day, and its director of recording, long-time engineer Thorne Nogar, engineered all of the Elvis sessions from 1955 to 1961. Some of popular music's greatest hits: "Jailhouse Rock," "All Shook Up," "Loving You," and "Teddy Bear," are just a few of the blockbusters that Nogar oversaw Elvis record at the studios, located at 7000 Santa Monica Blvd.

Elvis would be right in the center of everything, at every recording session, Nogar would later recall. "Like with the Jordanaires when he sang, we would set it up with a unidirectional mike, so he would be standing right in front of them, facing them, and they would have their own directional microphone and they would be singing to one another."

The 2-tracks from which this record was pressed could not have sounded better, and there was no one more careful, more experienced and technically skilled to record these historic sessions than Nogar, says Acoustic Sounds' founder and CEO Chad Kassem.

Yet one day years later when Thorne was "cleaning out" his tapes closet, remarkably, he set these 2-track backup tapes aside, intending to dispose of them. Noted producer Bones Howe had worked for Nogar as a tape operator at Radio Recorders, and thanks to him the tapes were saved from a final resting place in the trash can. Bones took the tapes home with him. He'd put them safely away in a bank vault.

These 2-tracks have "erase" clearly written on the master log sheets. They're from January 1957 sessions at which Presley produced material for two EPs and the film "Loving You" soundtrack. They're the only known ones surviving from the pre-stereo era.

RCA's Essential Elvis series was a vehicle for the release of Presley's alternate takes. On this double LP set, listeners hear Presley at work, refining band arrangements and working through the nuances of his vocal performance. The LP reveals the Jordanaires voices' sparkling with a natural lifelike sound that's both sonically rich and detailed.

The Jordanaires, a vocal quartet originally formed as a gospel group in 1948, gained fame largely for being Elvis' background singers, both in live appearances and recordings, from 1956 to 1972. If discovering these rare, almost lost recorded treasures weren't enough, the sound reproduction puts this release over the top! When the Jordanaires sing "Peace in the Valley," you'll swear you're hearing a melody sent from heaven. An audiophile's prayer come true!

There are a number of first and second takes, during which Presley and his backing musicians make tentative passes at the material. As the record progresses, arrangements take shape and Presley, growing more confident that a keeper take is imminent, sings with more enthusiasm. Throughout, Presley is heard directing the proceedings and demonstrating a lot of "aw shucks" charm in the process, goofing with band members and laughing through his and others', flubs.

Like other reissues pressed by QRP, this magnificent 200-gram LP is notable for its absolutely silent background. The vocal harmonies are tingle-inducing, life-sized and utterly natural.

For serious Elvis fans and anyone else interested in the creative process, Volume 2 meets the first definition of "essential" as well as the second: it's indispensable stuff.

5. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Diana Krall - All For You (A Dedication To The Nat King Cole Trio) on XRCD. Gorgeous sound.

6. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I’ve seen your system on a few different threads and read your posts and thought I’d like to come over and listen! But if you played me Ed Sheeran I’d be on the first plane back to England glad there was one less of his CDs there....
    Sorry, said in good humour, each to their own. I’m sure I could horrify you with big chunks of my CD collection (and maybe my hifi as well!).

Dayfold and George P like this.
  7. thomaskong

I also like Elvis's warm voice.

It is really nice to know good collections.

Timeless Classics likes this.
  8. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I've put this on my discogs want list thanks to your recommendation. I'm also wondering if Volume 1 is worth getting but noticed that AP haven't done that one. Are the original 80's releases worth picking up?

Timeless Classics likes this.
  9. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I unfortunately don't know about the sound quality of those 80s release, nor about the sound quality of Volume 1. Yes, it is strange that Analogue Productions only did volume 2. You'd think they'd be able to get the rights to volume 1 as well, but maybe those tapes somehow aren't available? Not sure. Volume 1 does appear to be all mono, where Volume 2 stereo, but that shouldn't make any difference. I do also have the Analogue Productions Elvis 24 Karats Hits, and can speak that it is also fantastic. Hoffman did a DCC version a while back of this as well. Best of luck!

Dayfold likes this.
  10. rockstarFotog

rockstarFotog Forum Resident

It took me awhile but I see this is American Beauty by Grateful Dead. Truly from the 1960s.

11. thomaskong

I would be happy to experience your nice collections when I visit England again.

I had been to only London once.

Silverwolf likes this.
  12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

How about something the person 'already knows'.

fluffskul likes this.
  13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

whenever i have a guest over who is remotely interested in hearing my system, i'll ask them what they want to hear... since i don't do music streaming, it shows my confidence in my physical collection! i practically always have what was requested, or something that is an easy pivot. Most common request is Led Zeppelin... people are usually surprised when I reach for a CD. You don't get to hear my RL LZ II until you've proven to me you can sit through an album and be good company :)

George P likes this.
  14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Beatles Mono Masters

15. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Like most here, obviously something they’re familiar with and enjoy...I ask or let them sift through my records for something appealing.

It’s also entertaining to play different masterings and/or formats of music they like, if I have them.
    (e.g., good sounding rock (Dire Straits, Steely Dan), bluesy (Ry Cooder, SRV), or some Brubeck, Miles standbys.)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.