What ' Classic ' Album Have You Never Heard ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

This seems to be turning into "artists I've never listened to" rather than "classic albums" - there are enough lists out there for people to look at...

2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Dont know of any VH album that's regarded as a stone cold classic anyway!

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ARK, Synthfreek and intv7 like this.
  4. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Na! An album only really well known for a short snippet song called 'Eruption'. It dosnt have anything else that one would call a classic rock song.

5. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

I've never listened to any Led Zeppelin album front to back...lol I even have the full catalog in a box set. Never opened it. I do like many of their songs though:shrug:

6. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

Most of the Beatles classics
    Grateful Dead got by me too; a few tracks from In the Dark and the radio hits are all I know from them. (and I even saw 'em once!)
    The Clash's first album.
    Haven't heard Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin On?' aside from the hits
    I could go on and on, but here are a few.

7. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

I consider myself a big Zeppelin fan and own or at least heard all their albums by now, but Led Zeppelin III....only know the hits. Don't think I ever heard the whole thing.

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Probably the vast majority of them. I focus on individual songs that I like, and most albums don't have more than one or two. Even an album I have heard, I probably haven't listened more than once or twice unless I like a fair majority of it.

9. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I do try and make an effort to listen to artists I'm unfamilar with and think I might like, normally by listening to a track or two on You Tube. If I like those tracks, I'll listen to a few more, do a bit of online research and then buy an album to listen to repeatedly. It's just there's so much good music out there, that I really try and be quite selective and only invest time in music I'm confident I'm going to want to lown and listen to repeatedly, given I already own lots of music, most of which I rarely get around to actually listening to.

FWIW, this year I have bought albums by (the largely new-to-me) Asia plus one by Triumvirat (70s German proggers I hadn't heard of until recently ). a 9-CD box set of Bruckner Symphonies (I'd heard just one of these once before) and I'm currently working my way through a 7-CD box set of Nigel Kennedy predominantly playing violin concertos - all of which are new to me. I've also bought two new albums (by Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic) and currently have two more new releases on order (by the Neal Morse Band and Big Big Train.) The difficulty I have is finding the time to listen to all this new music (about 24 or 25 hours in total) to the point where I'm familiar with it - for classical music this takes me a long time - plus all the other music I already own. It's a nice problem though. :)

10. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident

I never listened to the whole tago mago album by Can.

I only listened to the first album of the double lp.

I never got familiar with these sound collages on record two.

It's the same thing as on Ummagumma by Pink Floyd.

The live album is great, the second album is terrible , unhearable.

If U don't believe:

11. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.

School friends (not very working-class) used to play "Working Class Hero" all the time but I never listened to the album all the way through. Couldn't have identified the album cover until I looked it up.

ARK and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  12. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident

Live Peace in Toronto by Lennon/'Ono

First side is amazing, side two is awkward.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Damn, I know it's all about opinions, but have you even heard this album? Eruption is the least of it. :D

That said, my favorite Van Halen is Women and Children First.

As for Classic albums I've not heard - there are four major artists that are out there that have Classic albums I've not heard. I must say though, that's because every time I've sampled their music, it just hasn't done anything for me. Those artists are Neil Young, John Martyn, Joni Mitchell, and Van Morrison. They have a scattering of so called "Classics" that I have therefore not heard in their entirety.

14. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I don’t know if this available outside the uk but there’s a British radio show called ‘’I’ve never seen Star Wars” whereby well known people do things that are commonplace but they’ve never tried.

BBC Radio 4 - I've Never Seen Star Wars - Available now

Ex cabinet minister Ann Widdicombe goes camping, grande dame of culture, Joan Bakewell listens to Arctic Monkeys and satirist Ian Hislop buys his first pair of jeans

15. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Bon Iver - Tried a few tracks but bored me senseless. Not sure why this is so highly rated.

Any supposed classic albums by Oasis and Blur. Never will.

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother. Maybe one day.

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead.

Television - Marquee Moon

Prince - Purple Rain

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  16. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Do you actually own a means of playing albums? :confused:

17. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Blonde On Blonde.

Dylan just doesn’t do it for me.

18. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

Whatever classic albums Elton John has. I've never listened to an Elton John album.

19. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Unless I missed it I don't think Velvet Underground and Nico has been mentioned.

ARK and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

That's complete nonsense.

Its classic status has nothing to do with your personal taste. Plenty of albums are considered "classic" that I don't happen to care for, but it'd be silly for me to say that everyone else was wrong just because it wasn't my cup of tea.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

From what seem to be regarded as classics on this board I've never heard a full album by The Clash or The Who. Haven't enjoyed the singles enough to check out the long players.

I'm not overly fond of jazz so I've avoided Miles Davis though his guest spot with Toto back in the Eighties was painless enough.

22. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Never Mind the Bullocks, Here’s the Heifers

bataclan2002 likes this.
  23. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Any which has “Parental Advisory” on the cover…I heed the advice and don’t listen to it. :goodie:

John B Good likes this.
  24. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

It’s Sunday tomorrow.
    I’m going to take 3 albums I’ve never listened to in the RS top 500 and see what I get. It might become a Sunday habit.

Edit: Looks like

What’s Going On
    Purple Rain
    Nevermind

bataclan2002, wellhamsrus and carlwm like this.
  25. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I own Who’s Next (the only Who album I have) which is outstanding and I’d recommend wholeheartedly and London Calling that I’ve listened to bits of but have never got into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.