What classic TV show would you like to see on DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by voicebug, Nov 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I will also like to see ABC's In Concert series. So many great live performances from the early to mid 70's - a time when the only rock n' roll on US TV were lip synched appearances on variety shows.

I used to also be fond of Then Came Bronson and would like to see that again. I wonder if it aged well (the whole "drop out of society" concept seems a little corny these days).

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Incidentally, i just saw an ad for the DVD release of the very funny, short-lived BEN STILLER SHOW. Recommended for fans of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, SCTV, and THE ANDY DICK SHOW. I think they got 13 episodes in before being cancelled.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Oh Wilbuuuurrr!

Thanks Michael.

4. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Excellent call Reechie!!!:thumbsup: That is by far one of the funniest animated series ever to be on TV. I love "The Tick" and have been frustrated at Fox's half hearted support of that show when it was originally on and when they eventually put out one(that I know of) VHS tape of the first two episodes. The complete series would be awesome!!

Another favorite of mine that I'd love to see on DVD, but is pretty obscure is "Fractured Flickers". It was created by Jay Ward and Bill Scott, the geniuses behind Rocky & Bullwinkle. They took old silent movies and put dialog and sound effects to them and I used to fall over laughing at what they did. One of the best was when they took the old Rudolph Valentino movie "Blood & Sand" and turned it into a parody called "The Death Of An Insurance Salesman"!!!:laugh:

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sure wish it was a Season Box Set...Not a "Best OF"....Oh well, better than nothing:):thumbsup:

6. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

I would like to see Robert Stack's old series "The Untouchables" on DVD.

Charlie

7. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Coming from me: how about "Run Buddy Run" starring Jack Sheldon.;)

8. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

The only reason I bought a DVD player----
    M*A*S*H

9. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Ummm...aren't there several Seasons of this Series on DVD boxsets already?

10. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

You are right. I already have seasons 1-4. I guess I didn't read the question too carefully. Sorry 'bout that.....sometimes I color outside of the lines.

11. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

First and foremost, "Police Squad! In Color"! No question about it. You could put all six episodes on six discs and charge me $100 and I would still buy it.
    Would also love to see season boxes of Mission: Impossible, Get Smart, Hawaii 5-0, Perfect Strangers (though I wouldn't buy it, just laugh at it fondly in the store), and, of course, the short-lived and BAD (but still Richard Roundtree) Shaft tv series.

12. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Yes!! Mission Impossible!! Couldn't afford the video tapes and when they show them on TV, they edit them to get more commercial time in...

13. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Didn't mean to nit-pick. I don't think you need to worry about the remainder of the Series coming to DVD either. I would assume FOX is committed to releasing it in it's entirety.

14. handle

handle Forum Resident

Freaks and geeks is the one I am waiting for. Looks like it's going to happen, but with the music rights it seems the set will cost 100-125 dollars all the episodes.

I'd like the remaining sessions of Larry Sanders to be issued as well.

Also, I say forget the extras, jus trealease all the Simpsons now.

A best of the People's Court with Millian would work for me oo. just get rid of the cases that involve both sides speaking pidgin english. Maybe 3 disc sets on topics such as "Bought her a cellphone", "got insurance for him', and "It was a 3000 gift , not a loan."

-Tom

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Kids in the Hall!

I forgot to mention this earlier. I loved this weird, crazy show from Canada! I have a few episodes on tape that I never get tired of seeing.

"I'm crushing your head!" :)

Dan C

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Fridays would be a good one also, especially the skits with Michael Richards (think that's his name), as the pharmacist.

17. Phantom409

Phantom409 New Member

who needs reality tv??

A very good resource, which I consult every couple of days, is the TV Shows on DVD website, with lots of news about current and classic television shows:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

I'm happy as a clam and pleasantly surprised with many of this year's releases and releases announced for next year:

CRIME STORY (Very reasonably priced)
    WISEGUY
    YOU BET YOUR LIFE
    THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW
    LOST IN SPACE
    THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE (even with some of the retro tinkering - it's a very welcome release)
    SCTV
    NAKED CITY
    COMBAT
    BARNEY MILLER
    MR. ED
    THE OUTER LIMITS (!!!)
    GREEN ACRES
    DANGER MAN
    THE HONEYMOONERS
    THE MONKEES

Stuff I'd like to see released:

ROCKFORD FILES - My all time favorite show!
    ROUTE 66 - Well written early sixties drama. Great concept and great guest stars - in beautiful black and white.
    HONEY WEST
    SGT. BILKO
    THE FUGITIVE
    THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW - Aside from all of the public domain releases of the same episodes in poor quality, why hasn't this extremely popular show gotten a DVD release? Can you imagine them with commentaries??
    LOVE THAT BOB - Remember seeing great re-runs of these fifteen years ago on CBN - from the auteur of GREEN ACRES
    THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
    BATMAN (Not very likely, but can you imagine the colors?)
    MILLENNIUM
    THE TIME TUNNEL
    FERNWOOD 2NIGHT
    THE BOB NEWHART SHOW (70s first, please!)
    MAVERICK (At least the ones with James Garner. I'd snap up any of the classic Warner Brothers series from the fifties and sixties: CHEYENNE, HAWAIIAN EYE, 77 SUNSET STRIP, LAWMAN, etc., etc.)
    THE ADDAMS FAMILY
    HE AND SHE (I don't have a clue who owns this...)
    MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT (or this one either...)
    JONNY QUEST (60s)
    NIGHT GALLERY
    HARRY O
    HAWAII FIVE-O
    SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (Complete shows)
    More MARY TYLER MOORE SHOWS
    Live fifties teleplays such as PLAYHOUSE 90...
    Uncountable variety shows and rock'n'roll shows...

And in the spirit of the poster who asked for RUN, BUDDY, RUN (which I vaguely remember and would snap up in a minute)

PRIVATE EYE - a very well written 80s private eye show set in the 50s, with great guest stars, that just starting clicking when it was cancelled.

18. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Exsistance of Hootnanny

A friend of mine "in the industry" told me the entire run of the series is in the UCLA Film vault.I know of at least 6 episodes in "circulation". I don't know if any of the dealers have them,but a couple of my friends do.I've seen them.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Someone mentioned "Quark" at the beginning of the thread....yes, I remember that show from my youth. Well, actually just the blond twins on the show. And Richard Benjamin and that space-garbage eating spaceship.

Like to see the Brit TV show "The Persuaders" on DVD, with Tony Curtis and pre-James Bond Roger Moore. And for unknown reasons, would also like to see the 80s Brit TV show "Dempsey & Makepeace" on DVD as well.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Re: Exsistance of Hootenanny

I just searched the UCLA film and television archive for possibly related items. Here's what they had:

21. Phantom409

Phantom409 New Member

THE PERSUADERS came out around Thanksgiving in a box set from A&E. Here's a link to a review of the set:
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8547

22. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet (1952 - 61 in sequence)
    Leave It To Beaver (in sequence)
    Gunsmoke - the half hour version in B&W (1955 - 1960 in sequence)
    M Squad (Lee Marvin)
    Maverick (James Garner episodes)
    Richard Diamond, Private Detective (David Janssen) (1957 - 60)
    The Untouchables
    The Roy Rogers Show (1951 - 57)
    Fury
    77 Sunset Strip
    Have Gun Will Travel (in sequence)

23. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Thanks, Eric! That's excellent news. Now i know what to get my big sister for Christmas. She and i used to watch that show when we were (much) younger. This'll take her totally by surprise. Who woulda thought that i'd get gift ideas by reading the SH Forum?

24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Another vote for Batman.

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Actually, I believe that Mark Blumfield played the pharmacist ("take a pillll"), Michael Richards played the kid with the army men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.