What comic-book-based movie would you like to see brought to the big screen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solitaire1, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

While we've had quite a few comic-book-based movies brought to the big screen in recent years, there are many characters/series that still haven't been used, characters who haven't gotten much attention but should. Which one(s) would you like to see?

My nominee: American Vampire (a Vertigo title, Vertigo is an imprint of DC Comics).

Brief Summary: Features a mutant species of vampires who come into existence in the United States. Unlike traditional vampires they don't have to avoid the sun, wood (such as wooden stakes) don't affect them any more than they would affect a normal human, and they don't have to sleep in a coffin during the night. The traditional vampires consider them an abomination and want them exterminated. The series was so good that Stephen King, who was originally just going to write a foreword to the series, liked it so much that he wrote one of the first stories for the series.

2. I’d love an adaptation of Fantastic Four issues 91-93.

As the previous FF films have been… lacking I hope this counts.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I would love to see all the recent ones redone...any future new ones will be ruined. just my opinion. : )

Dyland likes this.
  4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Any of the stories in Scott Snyder’s Batman run

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Scalped (2007-2012) Vertigo Comics

"The series focuses on the Oglala Lakota inhabitants of the fictional Prairie Rose Indian Reservation in modern-day South Dakota as they grapple with organized crime, rampant poverty, drug addiction and alcoholism, local politics and the preservation of their cultural identity."

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

There used to be this very strange comic book in the earky to mid 60s called ' Herbie'
    Herbie was a fat kid who was always being consulted by world leaders for advice. Women of all ages and nationalities were attracted to him. Desoite alk this he just seemed to be a lazy kid who was always sleeping.
    I don't remember sny specific comic book storylines bit I used to biy it regularly..
    Wish I could run across some copies of it now.
    I think it wiyld make a good move or limited series in an odd way.
    Anyone remember Herbie?

blivet, Ghostworld, unclefred and 4 others like this.
  7. Michael

I don't remember that? I have to look into this. I should know this.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Let me know what you think about him.
    I was very young when I bough those comics ( about 6 years old) and I found them very strange.

DISKOJOE and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

will do. My curiosity is heavy!

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

When I was clearing out my dad's house after his death, in the basement I found a box that contained all my old comic books. Oh, my, what a bunch of lameness. During my comic-buying days, my mom had a strong hand in what I was allowed to buy, and my selection was pretty much limited to a wire revolving rack at a local drugstore, so nearly all of my comics were things like "Timmy the Timid Ghost," for example. Lots of "Classics Illustrated." The only thing that might actually have been of much interest to a modern collector, I suspect, was a run of a few issues of Aquaman--I really, really liked Aquaman, and no, I've neither seen nor want to see the movies, as I've learned the hard way not to mess as an adult with childhood memories--but for some insane reason little me had stripped off all the covers but one and then stuck them together inside the one unmutilated copy to make an improvised omnibus, of course doing no good to that remaining cover in the process. And oh, by the way, much to my frustration, my local drugstore never did get the final one in that story series, so to this day I have no idea how it turned out. I assume Aquaman won. (But then, I don't remember anything about the story except that it left off on a cliffhanger with Our Hero chained to a piling as the tide either came in or went out, putting him at mortal peril--I forget the details.)

I found one, though, that stood out from its undistinguished surroundings: a single issue of Enemy Ace. It's about a German World War I pilot, clearly modeled on Baron von Richtoffen, told from his point of view. More than a little dark, and his name is Baron von Hammer, "The Hammer of Hell"; how I slipped that one by my mother I simply can't imagine. Now, that one issue, which I read out of curiosity when it cropped up, struck me as just the sort of thing that could be adapted into a first-rate World War I movie. Even to my aging eyes and taste, it seemed a distinct cut above the average. I actually came close to hanging onto it. In the end, though, I came to the conclusion I am not a comic book collector, and it's just one issue, and it's something I really should let some other kid slip by his mom's watchful eyes and enjoy with wonder, so I let it go in the estate sale. But that would definitely be my nominee for something to be made into a well-executed comic book movie. Done right, I think it could be a real winner.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    beccabear67 likes this.
  11. Solitaire1

The Inferior Five (1960s series published by DC Comics)

Summary: A team composed of five individuals who are the sons and a daughter of superheroes. Unfortunately, they aren't very competent. They consist of:
    • Awkward Man: The son of an underwater superhero. Due to that he is both super strong and extremely awkward.
    • The Blimp: The son of a super speedster. Unfortunately, he has gained so much weight that all he can do is float.
    • White Feather: An archer who is extremely cowardly.
    • Dumb Bunny: She has the strength of an ox, and is about as intelligent.
    • Merry Man: Has no superpowers and is the leader of the team. Unlike the others he knows that he looks ridiculous and so he wears a jester costume.
    If done right it could be a fun movie, especially if they choose villains who are just as bad as they are.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Terry Moore's Strangers In Paradise. He's got a real knack for capturing women characters, and not just the visuals.

aroney, EVOLVIST and Doggiedogma like this.
  13. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

A James Gunn Legion of Superheroes movie could be interesting

14. Solitaire1

I strongly agree. The Legion of Super-Heroes has the potential to be an epic franchise like Star Trek and Star Wars. If they did it, I'd like to be set in the Giffen era before The Great Darkness Saga when The Legion was at its best.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I forget who on here it was that said it but leaning into Jonah Hex and other similar characters (are there any?), making superhero westerns, might be fun.

16. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

I think that comic book based movies are way too limiting when it comes to story telling. There are a few that worked and worked well. James O'Barr's The Crow worked because the series wasn't that long and it also worked because it is literally shot for panel of the comic book. Probably the BEST comic book based movie I have seen. If a comic book series has more than 12 issues in it, for me, it doesn't work. Everything seems rushed to tell the origin and then get to a story plot of usually good vs evil. That being said I would be more interested in TV series than movies when it comes to comic book based entertainment. I'd love to see The Spectre, from DC Comics, done as a TV series. And specifically the series done by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake. It got close to actually seeing him on TV for an extended run of episodes if NBC would have renewed the Constantine TV series. Constantine was a really well done series that only lasted for 13 episodes. Much better than the Keanu Reeves movie ever was. And I liked that movie.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Flaming Carrot

Doggiedogma, beccabear67 and ubiknik like this.
  18. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Swamp Thing (again)

19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Nocturnals, which was a 90’s creator-owned comic series put out by Malibu.

I don’t remember much about it, but it has a lot of cool visuals. A horror / action director like Del Toro could make something terrific out of it.

[​IMG]

The Nocturnals revolves around the mysterious quest of underworld enforcer and occult figure, Doc Horror; his supernaturally-gifted daughter Evening (aka Halloween Girl) who carries a pumpkin full of haunted toys; the Gunwitch, a silent, two-gun revenant with an itch to kill monsters; the lissome wraith Polychrome, and a host of hard-boiled inhuman players battling hidden evils lurking on the outskirts of human knowledge.

Nocturnals Omnibus Volume 1 HC :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

That was a superb run, Greg Capullo's art was incredible. Instead of continually flogging the Frank Miller years for movie stories, I hope they move on to some 21st Century Batman comics for these next several movies. Lots of good material there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    ghoulsurgery and Mooglander like this.
  20. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

What's the one where Superman lands in communist Russia? I pick that one, although it would probably be a better tv series.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  21. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

The only problem with Nocturnals is that it is Malibu. I think almost EVERYTHING that was produced under their umbrella has legal issues. Marvel hasn't done anything with the company's assets and they own Malibu outright. Or make that Disney now owns Malibu.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

-American Flagg!!
    -The Secret Six (original team)
    -Legion of Superheroes
    -THUNDER Agents
    -RASL

I would also love a Huntress movie featuring Helena Wayne as the Huntress on Earth-2…but that will never happen.

23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That’s a shame, since there is a lot of good IP there they could use—kinda like how DC absorbed Wildstorm, but they actually used the characters in the comics.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The Gold Key characters. Turok Dinosaur Hunter is almost a no-brainer at this point. We only have one dinosaur movie franchise now. There's room for another. And Hollywood is trying to bring more racial diversity to superhero movies, but Native Americans are still quite underrepresented. Prey went over very well as an action/adventure movie with Native American leads recently too. Turok also had a hit video game in the '90s, and video game adaptations are in now.

The other big Gold Key ones are Magnus Robot Fighter, set in the future with a guy fighting robots, natch, and Solar Man of the Atom, which is basically one of the antecedents to Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. You could make that a straight action movie or give it more psychological depth like Dr. Manhattan had. I don't know much about Warhammer, which Henry Cavill is making as a movie, but it looks and sounds a little bit like Magnus. Henry would've made a good Magnus too. You need a guy who can convincingly punch robots. Even as a human in Mission: Impossible, he looked like he could pack a mean punch.

The fourth one in this image is Doctor Spektor, who I don't know much about it, but seems similar to Dr. Strange.

As far as who owns these characters, the assets changed hands many times, but they were last purchased by Dreamworks and Random House in a joint deal to buy the company Classic Media and all their assets. Universal later bought Dreamworks. Random House appears to own the trademarks of these characters now. It's unclear if they and Dreamworks took joint ownership, or if they divided the assets between film and television vs. print between them in distinct chunks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Walt and unclefred like this.