What comic-book-based movie would you like to see brought to the big screen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solitaire1, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

That era of The Spectre was my favorite. At that time, because of his inaction during Crisis on Infinite Earths (he didn't take action to prevent the original Multiverse from being destroyed), he was busted in power to just being the most powerful ghost on Earth, Jim Corrigan was returned to life, and The Spectre was bound to him and had to return to Corrigan's body every day. The series had a moody feel that suited the character well.

I agree about the issue of storytelling in the movies. The problem with bringing comic book stories to the big screen is that in the comics they can build on previous stories without having to directly mention them, you can just go straight into the action. Although it's not comic book movie, an example of this is Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan. Since we already knew everything that had been previously established, they were able to jump directly into the story. With exception of Saavik we knew every character and the basic setup already.

2. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I remember Herbie even though I was about 4 when the comic was around. Here’s something from the Internet Archive:

barryalan and beccabear67 like this.
  3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The only one that matters...

[​IMG]

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Grimjack by Tim Truman (probably better as a series though) and also Scout.

Mooglander and Doggiedogma like this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Beanworld starring Nicolas Cage!!!

[​IMG]

He could play the guy with the big fork.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Thanks for posting these...
    I did'nt remember any specific storylines but just reading these reminded me how weird that comic book was.
    Could make a great movie! But who to play Herbie?

DISKOJOE likes this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The only 'war' type comic I have is this reprint of the first two stories... you can probably find one very cheapish. I agree it could make for a great film, but with so few flying WWI type planes now I'd fear they might CGI it to pieces.
    [​IMG]

8. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

They have been in pre-production for at least the last 3 years or so. I would love to see a Grimjack movie. Also, Tim is a really great person to talk to at shows. Very humble.

Morpheus likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

But at least nobody would be running around in a funny looking spandex suit, right? ;)

Done right, CGI isn't necessarily bad, I suppose, but if that's an issue, maybe an animated feature--since we're dreaming here, preferably hand-drawn in the style of the original comics? Certainly, there's precedent by now for animated comic book movie adaptations.

beccabear67 likes this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Be nice to see Thor done properly - a Tales of Asgard type movie, perhaps a little Game of Thrones meets those two Lee and Kirby Thor influences, Hamlet and Prince Hal. And get shot of the beard.

ubiknik likes this.
  11. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Death of Superman
    [​IMG]

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Xenozoic Tales--might be better as a series, but yeah, more dinosaurs, etc.

Kings in Disguise--depression era comic about a young teen leaving home during the Depression as there were too many mouths to feed, so he hits the road by rail.

beccabear67 likes this.
  13. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Conan was a series of novels by Robert E. Howard before the character was adapted into comic book form.
    It would be really cool if they could do a film / series based on his original stories coupled with the visionary look of what Barry Smith did with the character for the first 21 issues of Conan the Barbarian.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Mooglander, smilin ed, aroney and 5 others like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Two come to mind...

Sandman Mystery Theatre which would make an excellent Max and/or HBO show ala True Detective

Starman, the Jack Knight era.

EVOLVIST and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

Ninja High School (Antarctic Press)

Summary: Jeremy Feeple is just an ordinary high school student who lives in the town of Quagmire...but the people around him are not. Among them are:
    • Ichy-Koo: A highly skilled ninja princess who has to get Jeremy to ask her to marry him for leadership of her clan.
    • Princess Asrial: A princess from the Salutian Empire who has to marry Jeremy to establish diplomatic relations with Earth. Her original form was that of a humanoid skunk, and in human form she still has tiny skunk ears that few people really notice. She's extremely strong.
    • His Mother: A ninja adopted into Ichi-Koo's clan who left to marry Jeremy's father, a rat catcher trapped in an alternate dimension.
    • His Younger Brother: A skilled ninja who loves the ninja lifestyle.
    • Professor Steamhead: A professor of steamology who can do just about anything with steam.
    • Rivalsan Lendo: The rich heir to his company who is Jeremy's rival for Ichi-Koo's hand in marriage, is very handy with a sword.
    • Sammi: A young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that her father wouldn't have to pay off a massive bet (he bet his entire office building that she would be a boy). Before it became obvious that she was a girl, her father sent her to Quagmire to live with her Uncle so he wouldn't have to pay off the bet. Her father warned her not to let her Uncle find out that she's a girl, he has a weak heart and the shock might kill him.
    Much of the series is an homage to many anime and manga series.

16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

They did it loosely in Batman vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice. It just sucked.

ghoulsurgery and Doggiedogma like this.
  17. Doggiedogma

They also had Doomsday in the Kripton TV series and intro'd Doomsday in season 2. It also had Lobo and Brainiac, it was just starting to get very good, and SYFY cancelled at the start of Season 2. I really wanted to see more and wanted a season 3.
    But a multi-part Death of Superman, with a good story lead-in, and ending with burial cliffhanger would do well IMO.

Curveboy likes this.
  18. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I liked the death of Superman sequence in Batman v Superman much better than his death in the comic book, which is still one of the worst comic books I've ever read. Absolutely plotless.

19. zane7570

zane7570 Forum Resident

Golden Age- James Robinson

beccabear67 and Curveboy like this.
  20. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Curveboy likes this.
  21. Doggiedogma

The plot is the death of Superman. Whether you liked/disliked the premise or story flow is understandable.

22. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Howard the duck.

JediJones likes this.
  23. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

The freak Brothers.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd cast Nicolas Cage!

Lightworker likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think DC's Hawk & Dove by Steve Ditko and Steve Skeates, could make a nice low-budget film that would resonate today with our polarized culture. Two siblings endowed with powers that mimic each other, but motivated by different ideologies, make for an interesting conflict that hits home today - in fact, practically every time that weird recluse of an uncle comes to your house for Thanksgiving!
    [​IMG]
    The original casts them as brothers, although the property has been re-vamped as brother and sister...which I find unnecessary. If returned to its' original vision, it might make for a great television series in the same manner and budget-range as Daredevil.

Doggiedogma and nutsfortubes like this.