What comic-book-based movie would you like to see brought to the big screen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solitaire1, Feb 11, 2024.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

That character reminds me of Harvey Pekar

Dillydipper likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

American Splendor the movie was an excellent vehicle for Paul Giamatti, by the way. :agree: An excellent comic-based movie that actually retained the character of the comic, but still shines as a great example of a biographical feature as well.

3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

They've revised Hawk & Dove a number of times. The original were brothers, but then Dove died and he was replaced by Dawn Granger as the new Dove (Hawk doesn't know this but it appears that Don Hall died because his powers were transferred to Dawn). Then Hank Hall died and he was replaced by Holly Granger as the new Hawk. Later, Holly died and Hank Hall came back to like and returned to being Hawk.

They also explained their origin. A Lord of Order and a Lord of Chaos fell in love, and decided to prove that Order and Chaos could work together (normally Order and Chaos trade positions, one then the other becoming dominant). The Lord of Order created Dove, and the Lord of Chaos created Hawk. Unfortunately, Don Hall tended to defer to his brother, so the Dove spell was transferred to Dawn Granger. This was the most successful pairing.

4. Solitaire1

Empire (published by Gorilla Comics and then by DC Comics)

Summary: So often supervillains try to take over the world. In this comic one supervillain, Golgoth, has succeeded and has absolute control of the world. He uses teleportation technology to send his forces to immediately deal with any threat and will take ruthless action when he thinks it is needed. Unfortunately, there's a problem: Golgoth realizes he is ill suited to run the world and wants to quit. The problem is he is surrounded by people who would kill him in an instant if he/she could get away with it.

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Oh my, yes! Perfect stuff!

I'm going to add Alan Moore's Miracleman.

6. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Paul Chadwick's Concrete...

Dillydipper and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Big issue with this is the same as X-Men: tying-up several big-name/big-budget actors for varying shooting schedules and changing motivations within the studio. Could prove to be a nightmare, even if just one movie causes a sudden desire for a sequel.

8. Dillydipper

Hasn't there already been at least one staged version of this book?

9. Solitaire1

One option would be to do it with CGI, in the style used in Star Wars - The Clone Wars or as in Green Lantern - The Animated Series. To me, both series looked great and I didn't find the CGI distracting. Plus, being animated it would avoid the distraction of special effects in a live-action movie and characters who would look strange in a live-action film would blend in in an animated movie.

It would allow the big-name talent flexibility when it comes to availability, and most could do all of the voice work in an afternoon or two. As an example, in Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker Angie Harmon (Commissioner Barbara Gordon) literally recorded her lines in a phone booth in New York. Likewise, for Star Trek - The Animated Series as is typical when it comes to animation the voice actors often record their lines separately. Although not animated, in the film Farce of the Penguins the DVD extras show Bob Saget reading Samuel L. Jackson's lines (as the Narrator) for other actors to react off of, with his spoken lines replaced by the Samuel L. Jackson in the final movie.

10. Dillydipper

I'm afraid I'm just not there yet. Never even saw Batman: the Animated Series.

11. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

Ogden Whitney was the artist. He appeared in Forbidden Worlds, and then got his own title. Herbie also was a superhero called "The Fat Fury." He had the lollipop and wore long johns and a plunger for a hat.

The thing about Herbie is...the joke is now lost. In America, you look around, and about half the kids are as big and slow moving as Herbie was.

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I always liked Kull - again, could be a GoT thing. Much preferred him when he was actually King with Severin art before Marvel tried to retool him into Conan Mk 2 with art by Ploog and then everybody and their brother

Mooglander and ubiknik like this.
  13. Perhaps a movie based on obscure Marvel character Machine Man - a humanoid robot invented by the Army who becomes sentient and escapes, and tries to figure out what it means to be human while being hunted down and getting in various scrapes. It was a spin-off of the short-lived 2001 comic and developed by the legendary Jack Kirby.

Doggiedogma and JediJones like this.
  14. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Legally, it's surprising that Marvel would continue to own a character introduced in the licensed 2001 comic book. Maybe Arthur C. Clarke just didn't notice?

15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I think it started out on stage.
    The story as presented in the comic has a lot of potential for a film or series at least in the visual sense anyway.

Dillydipper likes this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I liked Kull as well but I never did the deep dive like with Conan, in the books he became a king of Aquilonia (or something like that).
    The books basically told the life story from young wanderer to becoming a king and being old, so I guess I got swallowed up in the 'epic' story.
    Fafnir and the Grey Mouser was another great series of books along those lines.
    My little brother was into Machine Man, I could've swore it was out well before 2001 and featured some art by Barry Smith (I think).
    My favorite robot story is Roderick at Random by John Sladek which tells the story of a robot with the capability to learn and grow that follows it's life journey -good stuff.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Pussey! is a comics serial and graphic novel by Daniel Clowes. It was originally serialized across nine non-consecutive issues of Clowes's alternative comic book Eightball.

It would be funny as hell. And easily doable. A send-up of comic book nerds.

[​IMG]

Mooglander, Chrome_Head and ubiknik like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Defenders.

Not the Netflix version, I mean Dr. Strange non-teamed up with Hellcat, Son of Satan, Nighthawk, Gargoyle, Devil-Slayer and Valkyrie (Barbara Norris version).

I'd also like a Power Man/Iron Fist reboot. A little less TV-MA. Approved by Comics Code version, you dig? Christmas.

Mooglander and Curveboy like this.
  19. Michelle66

Michelle66 Forum Resident

Brother Power the Geek.

20. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

My wife even liked it, and that says a lot.

Dillydipper likes this.
  21. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Robocop vs. Terminator, baby!

[​IMG]

And Batman vs. Predator!

[​IMG]

Walt, Doggiedogma and Curveboy like this.
  22. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Jim Belushi was once slated for a failed feature film project. I can see it...

[​IMG]

Dillydipper likes this.
  24. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Two series come to mind that are not your typical super hero formula series that I would love to see made into movies:

We3 - a short mini series about 3 escaped lab animals that have been turned into hi-tech living weapons:
    [​IMG]

...and Planetary - a very dense, extremely well written 27 issue comic that was probably aside from maybe Preacher, the best comic series of the 90's-00s. The budget for this even if somehow condensed into 2-3 films would probably be astronomical...
    [​IMG]

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It was; I think he means 2001 the comic book.

I'd also be up for a Daredevil set in Hell's Kitchen and directed by Martin Scorsese, but keeping ninjas to a minimum (or prefereably not at all) and not featuring DiCaprio in any fashion (other than maybe as the Kingpin)...

Doggiedogma, JediJones and ubiknik like this.