What commercials grind your gears?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by throbbin tower, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Sorry, but I don't like Flo from the Progessive Insurance commercials. She's kinda creepy looking and definitely annoying. Yet, in the commercials they make it seem like everyone knows her and likes her.

2. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I hate transmission repair company ads where they show cars that shouldn't be fixed.

3. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Love or hate her, everyone KNOWS her. She's been the most successful campaign on TV in at least a decade.

4. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I'm not fond of the Progressive commercials, but they don't bother me nearly as much as those utterly stupid Geico commercials.

AJH

MikaelaArsenault and Dave like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the endless bodily function commercials...

6. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ads with famous multi millionaire actors doing the voice-over rather than an out of work voice actor....would anybody really notice the difference?

7. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I hate the Geico commercials such as the Paul Revere spoof and the basketball player (whose name I can't think of right now).

I also hate the Tide commercial where the wife tells her husband that he sucks at folding.

MikaelaArsenault and Parvati like this.
  8. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

She's the Thighmaster's mistress

A very effective ad. It caused me to never go to BK again.

A recent one from BK with Peter Griffin shouting out short orders and a toilet reference followed by the BK push. I cannot imagine why anyone would think that tying urine to food was smart marketing.
    If Tyler's spot hadn't soured me, that one surely would have.

I haven't had to endure it lately, but that blue tax (?) spot with the animated dork with the sped-up speech had to be the most annoying I can remember.

I've slammed them before because the spokesbots power talked nonstop (it was like being tickled by Godzilla), but the Everest college ads have backed off the hard & loud sell.

Any commercial that orders me to do it now, call this number now, or repeats the damn number 2 or 3 times will be my defense if I ever see any of these jerks on the street.

9. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I'd notice the difference for the better.

throbbin tower likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Who said? It's not in the forum rules.

11. Grant

You got any stats on that? I disagree. I say it's the cavemen from the Geico ads.

12. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Buick ads with Shaq O'Neil or Payton Manning....I realize car companies have been using celebs for many decades, but I have a hard time picturing
    mega- rich athletes/stars driving around in a common Buick! o_O

13. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Wayne "Trapper John" Rogers trying to scare seniors into reverse mortgages.
    William "celebrity wood chopper" Devane trying to scare Grampa Simpson into buying silver, gold or other mattress stuffing.
    For that matter, anything, really, that preys on the fears of the frail or desperate.
    Ads that imply that the only people who listen to blues suffer erectile dysfuction. I'm 41, love blues, and my parts work, ladies.
    Ads selling online education (sorry, Shannon Doherty) or any quickie certifications (hello Phoenix, Art Institute, etc.).
    Ubiquitous FiOS, GEICO, Progressive and similar ads.
    Any AMC ad that tells you to contact your cable provider or you'll NEVER SEE THE WALKING DEAD EVER AGAIN.

Lots of others, but those come to mind.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Manual transmissions are not for everyone. Not everyone can use one. Not everyone can drive a sports car as their main vehicle neither. I can not drive a manual transmission at all. ffracer, what's boring for you is freedom to some people. The automatic transmission for me is liberating technology. And so is power steering, power brakes, and hand controls, knob on the steering wheel.

15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

99% of all radio commercials.

16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

How about the current trend where white males are made to look stupid, immature, ignorant, weak, and feminized?

MikaelaArsenault, sewerdog and Dave like this.
  17. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

It would be interesting to see the demographics of commercial viewers. Do women watch more TV than men?

18. Grant

Around this part of the country, it's Alan Cranston with a goatee, or Henry Winkler. The reverse mortgage commercials are of a much softer tone. I understand that even cable channels can show different commercials for different parts of the country.

In this area they use Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity on the radio spots, but they are only on conservative talk radio stations.

Like that chair that's rigged to go up stair cases.

But, do you take tub baths in the wilderness? :D

The Phoenix Institute got in bad trouble a few years back for screwing students, but I know a lot of people who did great with ITT.

IronWaffle likes this.
  19. Grant

All I know is that the over 65 crowd watched the most TV because fewer of them get around. many are shut in and have nothing else to do. But, from what I see, most just watch game shows, Judge Judy, or traditional prime-time dramas.

20. Grant

I don't see those. Got any examples?

21. Grant

I can drive a standard transmission, but the other features you listed are essential...except the knob on the wheel. I'm not disabled, so I don't need one.

22. marblesmike

That's what I think, or that women are more susceptible to TV ads then men?

MikaelaArsenault and vconsumer like this.
  23. marblesmike

I don't want to offend anyone, but usually the progressive ads feature men that seem very "light in their loafers" so to speak. They are so numerous that I can't remember off the top of my head. Admittedly I typically try not to watch ads.

Most others have fathers being outsmarted by their wives and/or children. Next time I see one I will post it in here.

24. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Spare yourself the unpleasantness if it means watching TV. It's not worth making the point :D

25. marblesmike

I'm sure I'll one or ten tonight while watching the hockey game. But yes I'd typically agree with you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.