What Concert Did You Attend That Was Eventually An Official Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Freebird, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

EELS - Tremendous Dynamite, live at First Ave, 2010/2011

And then I bought my copy at the merch table when they played First Ave AGAIN in 2013!

2. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Billy Joel Live From Long Island. Third concert I ever attended when I was 18. I remember being annoyed by the bright lights that were on the entire concert because it was being filmed. But still great concert

3. davers

davers Forum Resident

Pearl Jam - A Drop In The Park (Seattle, 1992?). Released on LP as part of the Ten deluxe reissue.

DavidD likes this.
  4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The "breakfast show", Thanksgiving day matinee. Seats were upstairs, but we snuck into the orchestra.

classicrocker likes this.
  5. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Toots & The Maytals - Santa Monic Pier, August 7, 1997.

It was a part of the free summer concert series. Toots and the band played for over 2 hours with an intermission. Around an hour was released on DVD in 2001.

Toots is still one of the most energetic performers I have ever seen. He was in his 50's at that show and the crowd had trouble keeping up with him. I saw him again about 10 years ago and he still had the same energy.

danasgoodstuff, DavidD and uzn007 like this.
  6. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Quite a lot as I worked underground & F.M. during RocknRoll radios golden era 1969-1979 with that said here are a few that really stood out...

1.James Brown / Say It Live & Loud Dallas 1968
    2.Stones / Oakland 69
    3.Grateful Dead / Fillmore East 2-70
    4.Dylan & Band 74 Tour
    5.Lynyrd Skynyrd / One More From The Road
    6.NY&CH / Weld...sides 3 & 4 were recorded in Dallas
    7.Band / Watkins Glen Festival (1973)
    8.New York Dolls @ Gerties Bar '74 in Dallas, I believe the record has been released as official rather than the 1st bootleg issue
    9.Stones / Ft.Worth Texas 72 was Ladies & Gentlemen movie
    10.Nugent / Double Live Gonzo...Electric Ballroom on back cover & some of the tracks were recorded at the EB in Dallas Texas

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Was also at The Clash Concert at the GlasgowApollo which was featured in the Rude Boy film

8. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I attended both the Nanci Griffith shows at the Paramount here in Austin when they were being filmed for the official video release of Other Voices Other Rooms in 1993. Our view was blocked by a camera on the first night, so we were given free passes to see her band play at La Zona Rosa following the end of the tour (the night after the second performance). All three nights were fantastic!

The two nights at the Paramount ended up being released on VHS and LaserDisc.

[​IMG]

DavidD, canadian73 and rikki nadir like this.
  9. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I was Christine Lavin's show at the Cactus Cafe back in 1993 that was recorded for radio broadcast and later issued as an official CD. It was a great night!

[​IMG]

canadian73 likes this.
  10. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Ramones It’s Alive. Recorded at The Rainbow Theatre London New Years Eve 1977.

Great Line Up The Rezillos, Generation X and then finally De Brudders! Awesome.

11. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

...Melbournes' brilliant but short lived Mackenzie Theory. One ' Live in the Studio' set titled " OUT OF THE BLUE" staked the claim to 'ahead of their time ' compositional and performance excellence, only let down, as a recording, by an indifferent studio audience.
    Recorded at the beautiful and acoustically perfect DALLAS BROOKES HALL ( now destroyed) " BON VOYAGE" ( May 14th 1974) was a recording of the final concert by the band before tossing it in. Never receiving the blessing of Rob or Cleis, who felt it was sub-standard, it still sounds excellent. I was three rows from the front.
    If you ever enjoyed Jean-Luc Ponty, and can imagine him ignoring the staff and going for the vision, this is one to look out for.
    The full concert presumably languishes in the vaults of MUSHROOM RECORDS , along with their epic SUNBURY ROCK FESTIVAL performance.

DavidD and Linus like this.
  12. wavertonwood

wavertonwood Forum Resident

13. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

......June 13 1971, Melbourne Town Hall. The city at this stage had a " don't blow smoke in the face of the nice Police Officer" policy re jazz cigarettes, so this was, as I recall, one very stoned evening. Bily Thorpe later found some recognition in the U.S. for his " CHILDREN OF THE SUN" album, but this is Billy on home turf inventing pub rock, but in a Town Hall.
    Think of Neil Young back in the saddle with CRAZY HORSE, and that is what happened when Billy was at home with The Aztecs.
    Rough as guts recording. Some very raw musicianship, but this is where Melbourne found its signature sound.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  14. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Bauhaus, Royal Court Theatre, Liverpool, 31st October 1981 - some of which ended up on ‘Press The Eject And Give Me The Tape’.

15. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Black Sabbath- The End

footlooseman and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  16. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Marillion - Recital of the Script DVD, Hammersmith Odeon 18th April 1983. They played everything they'd released up to that point including the whole of the Script for a Jester's Tear album and all single A and B sides - including Grendel!

edenofflowers likes this.
  17. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

Jethro Tull, BBC In Concert Hammersmith 1984, plus a few tracks from Hammersmith 1987 on the 20 Years box set.

DavidD, footlooseman and mBen989 like this.
  18. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

We’ve done this before, but here’s my list again:

David Bowie — BBC Radio Theatre, London, June 27, 2000 (CD)
    David Bowie — Glastonbury 2000 (CD+DVD)
    Queen+Guests — The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (DVD/BD)
    Pleasure Club — Here Comes the Trick (CD reissue, includes a bonus disc recorded 2002-05-18, New Orleans, LA)

Stray tracks:
    David Bowie — Liveandwell.com (CD) — one track recorded 1996-07-18, Long Marston, U.K.
    David Bowie — Limited Edition 3 Track Sampler (French promo CD) — two tracks recorded 1996-07-18, Long Marston, U.K.
    Various Artists — Phoenix: The Album (CD) — one David Bowie track recorded 1996-07-18, Long Marston, U.K.
    David Bowie — Earthling in the City (U.S. promo CD) — two tracks recorded 1997-01-09, New York, NY
    David Bowie — BowieNet (subscription-only CD) — two videos recorded 1997-01-09, New York, NY
    David Bowie — Survive (CD single) — three tracks recorded 1999-10-14 Paris, France
    Roxy Music Live (CD) — one track recorded 2001-09-21, Glasgow, U.K.
    Bob Dylan — Not Dark Yet/Dylan Alive Vol. 2 (Japanese CD single) — one track recorded 1998-06-21 Glasgow, U.K.

There could be other stray tracks that I’m forgetting.

drift likes this.
  19. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Jimi at Winterland.
    Don Ellis Live at the Fillmore.

jerol

20. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Having lived that cassette/album as a 18yr old, I can only imagine that scene. I’m sure it was a Halloween to remember...and the people watching had to be fantastic!!!

21. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel Secret World Live

ARK, DavidD and footlooseman like this.
  22. weirdoc

weirdoc Forum Resident

Spiritualized at the Royal Albert Hall, October 10 1997

reverendjim likes this.
  23. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I was at one of the 4 shows that were recorded for the Allman Brothers' "At Fillmore East" album. I attended the 8pm show on Saturday, March 13, 1971. I don't know which songs, if any, from that show made the final cut for the album. I do know that was I saw was great. I had hardly heard of the Allmans before that night. We went to see the headliners - Johnny Winter And.

ARK, footlooseman, drift and 3 others like this.
  24. Yes - Symphonic Live DVD
    Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live DVD/Bluray (they filmed both nights in Rotterdam, I was there the first night)
    Toto - 40 Tours Around the Sun DVD/Bluray
    Genesis - Live Over Europe 2007 (2 songs were recorded in Amsterdam, I also visited their Brussels show but sadly no songs from that night)
    Rosemary & Garlic - A Step Outside EP (several songs were recorded at Tolhuistuin in Amsterdam)

And maybe:
    King Crimson - Concertgebouw, Amsterdam 2018 (nothing released yet, but on the 2nd evening they had signs "by entering the show you're agreeing to be filmed and recorded for a DVD/bluray", no such signs the first night)

MungoMusic likes this.
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Phish Clifford ball box set
    Phish island tour 97
    Springsteen buffalo 09
    Formerly the Warlocks 89
    Grateful Dead nightfall of diamonds
    Grateful Dead Albany Nassau Copps (spring90)
    Grateful Dead giants stadium box
    Grateful Dead Copps 92(30 trips)
    Grateful Dead Albany 93(30 trips)
    Jerry Garcia Band Long Island sound 89
    Pink Floyd Nassau

footlooseman and Freebird like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.