What DAC are you using?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sneaky Pete, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

All DACs could use a transformer on the output stage straight from the DAC chip

2. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

The quiet style

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

FPGA DACs don't do the actual guts of the DAC processing. The FPGA is more of a higher level controller that controls the circuitry that does the guts of the DAC processing and that also is powerful enough and programmable enough to also do the upsampling, noise shaping, and digital filtering processing.

The Chord DACs are a pulse array DAC (as opposed to R-2R or traditional delta-sigma designs). The FPGA controls the pulse array circuitry. Without that external pulse array circuitry the FPGA can't be a DAC. All FPGA DACs need external circuitry to actually do the guts of the DAC processing. So really there is no such thing as an FPGA DAC. Just like there is no such thing as an Intel i9 DAC.

In the R-2R DACs that are using FPGA they are using the FPGA to control the R-2R ladder and to also do digital filtering and other processing. The FPGA is just a fancy powerful controller that is programmable. The FPGA is not a DAC chip.

Dignan2000, jpelg and jonwoody like this.
  4. Ham Sandwich

Good audio quality transformers are expensive. And not without their own issues (like having a droopy bass response and sound). If all DACs could use a transformer then there will be no more high quality sub-$1000 or even sub-$2000 DACs. Good transformers are expensive. Which is why good transformer coupled tube amps are also expensive.

jpelg and Tone? like this.
  5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

true

6. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I just started to use a vintage Lucid DA9624 DAC

7. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

Thank you for the detailed write-up... I hadn't considered the OG given the praise the LIM is receiving online. The good thing is I'll have the chance to AB all 3 versions against each other.

For Denafrips, I'm afraid it's too laid back? I would consider my amp to be fairly neutral but my Freya+ in tube mode to add a touch of warmth. I don't want to overwhelmingly go in one direction. Alone i listen to mostly Vocal Jazz, Blues, and such but the rest of the time we are enjoying music as a family and energetic/dance music makes up most of that genre. Including watching live concerts. Those two don't sound like they would jive well.

For the Gustard, i would likely never touch the "network" aspect of it. I have a Wiim Pro that I'm very happy with. Use it with Qobuz/Tidal. I also use DLNA through my Plex Server for ripped content so DSD is not an issue. Plex handles that very well.

From what I'm hearing, the Yggy is going to be the best jack of all trades in my situation. I just need to get down to the store and listen to the OG version and compare.

8. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I will say, and I've said this here before, my last CD player and my best one was a Tube Technology Fusion CD64 using a slightly simplified version of the original FPGA Chord DAC64 married to a tubed analog output stage. A really special player that sadly died on me.

9. Ham Sandwich

The Yggdrasil OG has been around for a while. The LIM and MIL versions are new so will get more hype in current reviews. The LIM and MIL versions with TI chips were developed so they'd have a backup plan in case they couldn't get any more of the Analog Devices DAC chips (Analog Devices has been having supply issues). I still view the OG version as plan A and the LIM/MIL versions as plan B.

There is also the Holo Audio Spring DACs. A used Spring 1 or Spring 2 would be in a similar price as the other DACs. And they're good DACs if you like NOS DACs.

Chord are also neat DACs for acoustic music like classical, jazz, vocals, etc. I like the way the Chord DACs do imaging and layering of sounds. I say the Chord are neat for acoustic type music just because acoustic style recordings tend to have the spatial cues in the recording to let the DAC show off the style of imaging and layering it can do.

10. rexp

rexp Forum Resident

DAC's sound different depending which input is used so the Wiim only having toslink/coax may not be optimal for some. For example I tried a IFI Zen DAC with the Wiim and it sounded considerably worse than when it was connected to my phone/laptop via USB. Some DAC's prefer the i2s connection as seen here:

11. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

I was unaware that's the reason for the LIM & MIL models of the Yggy... seems appropriate that the OG remains their priority model and I've heard nothing but praise for it other than the usual measurement bashing. MIL seems to be unfavored by most as sounding very "narrow". LIM appears to be in the middle of the OG and MIL and Schilt refers to it as their most preferred version?

Regardless, I'm heading over there today to check out all 3 models to make a decision and hopefully come home with one of them. The goal is to eventually pair the new upcoming URD CDT with it and retire my Yamaha CDS303.

I've heard that i2s is preferable but at this point it's taken a back seat to my CD's. I'm looking forward to the synergy Schiit is promising between their upcoming URD CDT and the Yggy via USB.

As for the streamer, it will probably be last on the upgrade list after we splurge on a nice set of speakers later this year. I just need to work on unloading some of the gear in storage lol.

Wenthrope and Designsfx like this.
  12. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I use a Cambridge Audio DacMagic circa 2010 (which is probably the first version), for Squeezebox and dvd/blu-ray duty, I have Naim and Meridian cd players, but no idea what DACs are inside :).

Sty82 likes this.
  13. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

1. Lampizator Golden Gate II
    2. The most analog sounding digital I've ever heard. That sentiment has also been shared by anyone who has heard it.

Earthbound2 likes this.
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Nice! Those who have models higher in the line (Pacific, Horizon) seem awfully pleased with theirs as well.

Earthbound2 likes this.
  15. Bob Voldar

Bob Voldar Forum Resident

I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 BUT I currently have one item hooked into it. An Opus#1 high resolution player is hooked into the DAC via the optical link. Sound is a bit more detailed than hooking the player through my preamp's aux input. I also have an Oppo unit and a Sony Blu-ray player but I use their RCA analogue outputs.

16. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

That’s interesting- your Opus has two internal dac chips (CS-4398) as opposed to the single Wolfson dac in your Cambridge. Not that there’s anything wrong with that method of use but wondering if you’ve tried a higher quality cable from the balanced output on the Opus to your preamp?

17. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

@timztunz-
    I’d be interested in hearing more about you Lampizator experience. Did you start with the GG2 or move up from an earlier model? What tube selection have you found to suit your tastes since purchasing it? I had just sent a message of to Lampizator this morning inquiring about an Atlantic Plus Balanced they have for direct sale. As I have no experience with them it would be great to hear more- PM if you have a moment.

18. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Still using a Schiit Audio Modi3 as it works for me. I'm sure I could use an upgrade, but if I don't hear better in my system to get discouraged I'm good to go.

19. Bob Voldar

Bob Voldar Forum Resident

I'll give it a shot. I have one on order. Should arrive mid-week.

Designsfx likes this.
  20. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

I have the Terminator Plus and you don't live that far away (I'm in NE Portland) if you are interested in a listen.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  21. EPG1

EPG1 New Member

I use a Lab12 Dac1 Reference (recently acquired); I was using an RME ADI-2 fs prior.

I'm a vinyl guy (I use a Technics turntable with a Lyra Delos/Kleos and a Hagerman Trumpet MC tube phono preamp) and just found that with the RME (although pristine/amazing clarity/amazing options/EQ, etc.), I eventually found myself avoiding listing to streaming/digital completely after a while. Thus, I was searching for something more "analogue" style sounding (not as precise/digital sounding) and came across the mention of the Lab12 while researching online about tube units, R2R, multi-bit, etc etc. I almost took a leap of faith and went with a Denafrips Termintor II but the tube based Lab12 intrigued me more.

Anyways, BIG soundstage (in comparison), more depth, non-fatiguing/non "digital" sounding, "bigger/plumper" in the bass than the RME (not as precise sounding) - more of what I was looking for. However, there isn't one-fits-all solution with a dac, just preference. In fact there were one or two songs where I liked what the RME did with the vocals better (pushed them out more). However, what I also liked about the Lab12 is that it had upper end clarity and wasn't "rounded off." Everything had more meat on it and acoustic guitars sounded like they were right there in front of me. Drums were still amazing as well, etc. Electric guitars had more body and sounded more realistic, again like I was plugging into one of my tube amps (I play guitar and drums etc).

Anyways, my chain is Bluesound Node 2i streamer (via SPDIF coax)-->Lab12 Dac1 Reference (balanced out)-->Custom 6SN7 linestage-->Nord Acoustics Hypex Based monoblocks-->Magnepan 3,7i's with REL subs. Streaming from Qobuz and NAS.

I don't want to fill this response with superlatives but so far the Lab12 yields what I was looking for in the "more analogue" regard:)

Highly recommended if that's more what you're after:)

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive Thread Starter

More analogue is good!

23. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I also went from the RME to the LAB 12 DAC 1 Reference and you nailed it ! More meat on the bones , sweet highs. Huge image. I love the LAB 12. When I bought it I really thought I would return within a year and trade up to something 2 X the money. It's very unlikely I will in June. It has an addictive quality that is hard to put your finger on. Just very natural and easy to listen to for long periods of time.

24. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I just got back into vinyl so I'm spinning a lot of LPs lately but that DAC keeps me up late at night.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  25. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

A Prism Dream...44.1 and 48 k..