What do all ya vinyl folks use for phono stages?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JPartyka, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy New Member

Mr. Zoo

What speakers are you using with your Rega?

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Currently some old Advent 1's (circa 1978?) and some ancient Dynaco's (not sure of the model number).

I'm in the market for something with just a bit more bass though, the advents are really meant to be in the Den, not the music room.

3. Andy

Andy New Member

My nephew is using a Mira to power a pair of Polk RT35i speakers in his dorm. Sounds really nice. The speakers are small bookshelf size units. The frequency response is listed as 50-25000Hz. It’s not the kind of bass that will rattle the windows, but they sound very nice.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Are these little bookshelves, or big 'uns? I have plenty of room, so size isn't a problem.

Hmmm... guess I should just go look them up on the web!

thanks Andy,

HZ

5. Andy

Andy New Member

Little ones think a football and a half. Maybe two.

6. IceNine

IceNine New Member

Phono Stages

It is amazing how many really good phono stages are out there; but a lot has to do with the cartridge you are using. Obviously, MC cartridges require a lot more "work" from a phono preamplifier; but they are usually worth it.
    Right now I am in the middle of auditioning the brand new Lamm LP2, and it is really fabulous. Extremely quite, and a really deep soundstage. The Asthetix IO that I currently own needs to be upgraded (wanna buy it?); but it, too, does a great job.
    I prefer tubes; but there have been great reviews of the Krell and the "Groove" from Tom Evans in the UK...:cool:

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

eBay can be a great toobe source. Really! About 80% of my NOS tubes came from Ebay. Just like Tom Port says about vinyl, yes, you CAN buy Mullards, but you might find your best tubes are the underdogs, and tube underdogs sell cheaply on eBay when you look. Make sure they're tested well.

Lots of people finding Grandpa's last career as a hi-fi radio repairman pays off, and lots of eBayers don't know the real value of a common tube sold inexpensively. They'll just buy up the red bottomed 5691s. :rolleyes:

8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High Thread Starter

I am actually about to receive a Monolithic PS-1 to try out. Anyone here heard that one?

9. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I use the Musical Fidelity LP^2

This is the 3 can deal from Musical Fidelity. It is dual mono with PSU power supply. I bought it used, but I think it was a great deal. Does justice to MC and MM cartridges. Just to tell you how good it is, when I received it, I had a Shure V15VMR on my Linn. I had always thought it sounded some what uninvolving compared to my MC's that I have. When I installed the LP^2, I was taken aback by how much better this Shure sounded. I was tapping my feet, and really enjoying it. The detail was cleare, the bass was slamming, and it had very good pace. So, it made me rethink the V15VMR!:D

10. mazort

mazort New Member

phono stages

Boy are you in luck. We are in the Renaissance of inexpensive external phono stages!

Check out the Lehman Black Cube, the Monolithic, the Phenomenon and the Mistral.

Suggest checking www.amusicdirect.com, ebay and www.audiogon.com for both new and used units.

Have fun!

11. Andy

Andy New Member

How does the Monolithic PS-1 sound?

12. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I have been using the Lehmann Black Cube for about a year now, and I am very pleased with the sound.

Arne

13. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High Thread Starter

I'll be able to let you know reasonably soon, Andy ... Mine should be arriving some time over the next couple of days. Once I've got it hooked up and broken in, I'll report back ... I decided to try it after reading lots of great customer reviews, and reading a 3-way review in The Absolute Sound; the reviewer seemed to like it better overall than the Black Cube and the Plinius Jarrah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.