What Do You Plan to Buy Over Next 12 Months?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ontheone, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

In the next 12 months, I'm planning to buy a lot of food, water, and gasoline. Toilet paper, too.

May buy a pair of Sander 10E speakers, too. I don't know.

I haven't been home much this year, and now that I'm back in front of my system, I'm thinking I may just stand pat. Maybe add Hsu ULS-15 Dual Drive subwoofers to my Harbeth M30.1's or get a Benchmark AHB2 and HPA4. Might get a pair of ESL 57's from Kent McCollum.

We'll see. Right now listening to Paul Desmond's Easy Listening and feeling pretty content.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It is almost certainly class A for a few watts only. 'Normal domestic' conditions suggest you may not need to go into class B for normal listening but for recordings with good dynamics I doubt it. Essentially this is almost certainly a class A/B amp with bias into class A at low power outputs. With efficient speakers it will be mostly Cass A and sound 'class A' by design. Boutique brand so I imagine expensive watts ?

3. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Nowt but music, I think...

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Just waiting on my next passive preamp to arrive tomorrow! A one off piece, so that'll be interesting to give a spin.

5. Christophe999s

Christophe999s Forum Resident

I'm happy with my setup, so I'll think I'll invest in some room treatment and maybe a dedicated Roon server
    And a lot of CD's and LP's of course :wiggle:

6. vo_obgynmd

vo_obgynmd Forum Resident

Thinking about updating my older Linn Sondek LP 12 Turntable to Arkuate level. Needs:

Kore sub-chassis and machined armboard
    Lingo power supply (latest) and motor control unit
    T-Kable Tonearm Cable
    Trampolin Aluminum Baseboard

Not sure yet.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  7. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Yes the wording on the website notes that their power amp is pure class A - this is high bias class A but is A/B.

If no music signal is sent it shuts off the class A into a standby mode. It runs quite warm and has rather large heat sinks on both sides.

It is dual mono.

What I find interesting is that this store also carries Accuphase another one of the few good SS amp brands that I have liked.

Of course I run 96dB speakers so the amp isn't getting a huge workout for me as I buy based on sound quality over sound quantity. So far it is a terrific sounding amplifier and what it also allows if for me to listen to lesser recordings without sounding dreadful - like most SS amps I have run across.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Not taking banana plugs would be an issue for me! Nice remote. Obviously the auto shut down is the reason there is only an on/off switch on the back. In principle there is a lot in common with my M6500i which is a lot more powerful. Especially the grain free SS sound. That fancy casework will add unnecessarily to price asked.

9. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

This Technics GL-700 Network/SACD player is on my radar to replace my Marantz cd player which will go into a second system. Not available yet though, it was due this summer I think - a sign of problems maybe? If the reviews are good and I can find one to listen to then it'll likely be my next purchase:
    [​IMG]

10. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I don't know if I totally agree - the great nemesis of amplifiers is heat - especially SS amplifiers as tube amps dissipate heat largely through the tube. Hot running class A or high bias class A - the heat needs to go so a top mesh design might be a pretty good idea.

Though for me I tend to buy amplifiers based on sound quality not the look. I can count on one hand (regardless of price) solid state amplifiers that I have liked. Usually I now just audition a company's flagship amplifier and if that is good then I will look down at stuff I can afford to see if those units are also good. Amplifiers that are Solid State that I have liked are usually $70,000+ like Technical Brain, Analog Domain, and in the affordable range Sugden and Accuphase and now Pureaudio.

It is not inexpensive at $10,000 but then there are a lot LOT more expensive solid state amplifiers that have not impressed me in the least. So that sort of counts for something. I can think of no less expensive SS amp (or many tube amps) for less that I like better. Well so far - I am still going through a lot of recordings.

My friend Jack Roberts formerly of dagogo now running his own site called the Audio Beatnik reviewed it here

Part 1 https://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewing-the-pureaudio-one-integrated-amplifier-part-1/

Part 2 https://theaudiobeatnik.com/pureaudio-one-integrated-amplifier-review-part-2/

11. Classicrock

I can't agree that mesh makes a difference. The heatsinks should do the job and are just covered by the mesh rather than exposed on the sides. A few vents in the top casing will do as well as the mesh plus that design is a dust trap and will need the caswork removed occasionally to clean. I think you can get a similar performance for around $5K. Price is very much associated with branding and limits on quantity built. Some manufacturers appear to price to restrict sales. It certainly is unusual looking and may sound exceptional. Ultra expensive SS amps do not have some exclusivity in providing a grain free, powerful controlled sound. You mention Sugden but there are also Musical Fidelity, A1000, KW and their descendents as well as the Yamaha models enthused about on this forum.

12. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I recently bought a used Audio Research 150.2 after my Bel Canto went south and in for repair. For $950 the 150.2 is impressive and after being powered up constantly sounded much better after 24 hours.

I'm building my own speakers and today I decided to build a 12" sub in the near future.

Looking at buying another DAC. The rest of my system is staying.

13. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Well I was unable to get three, fairly closely matched Raytheon 5751s, or Sylvania triple mica black plate 5751s, or even three RCA triple mica black plate 5751 tubes. :shake: But I *was* able to get three genuine NOS, new-in-box GE triple mica black plate 5751 tubes, two from 1956 and one from 1957.

Even though the 5751 tubes are rated at 30% less output than the 12AX7 type, I could detect no decrease in sound volume with them (they replaced three Tesla E83CC tubes). In fact, the sound now bristled with dynamics, and volume level just the same as with 12AX7s. The preamp is designed for three 5751s, but 12AX7s can be substituted.

The three 5751s comprise the first amplification stage of the Tavish Design Adagio preamp, followed by two EF86 (Telefunken EF806s in my system) and one 12AU7 (Brimar 13D8) in the second amplification stage. Since the three 5751 tubes are the first tubes to receive the signal from the cartridge, they are very important to the sound, as every amplification stage afterwards amplify that signal and its sound character.

And what a sound character they produce! At first they needed to settle in a bit, I had to keep adjusting the volume as sometimes it seemed too loud, and then turning it down it seemed too soft. But now after about 15-20 hours of use they are settling in, and are amazing me more every time I fire up the system and play records. They are still breaking in. Superb clear and extended high frequency reproduction, very realistic voices and instruments well delineated in the midrange (where we live), and just plain delicious bass reproduction, deep, powerful, hard-hitting and so satisfying! My system has never sounded so good. They really knew how to make vacuum tubes back in the 1950s!

They have taken my Adagio phono preamp to a new level of performance.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Maybe a pair of Guru Junior loudspeakers. An acquaintance of mine described them as "Like LS3/5A's, but with real bass and without the BBC dip. Fun speakers!"

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  15. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Looking to upgrade my old linear tracking Technics TT. Probably get the Fluance 85, but wish I could find something in flat black.

Also want to get a sub to go with my AV123 Rockets 850. Maybe a ULS-15 MK2 in cherry. The room is 10 x 10 so the HSU is probably overkill. I'm limited in floor space so it might have to go on the dresser or I might have go with something smaller like an SVS 3000. Not a big fan of black. If anyone knows of a 13 inch in cherry let me know!

16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Still nothing. I like what I have and I'm more interested in listening than buying more gear that I don't want or need.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Another passive preamp at some point.

18. NicoD

NicoD Well-Known Member

For me, it has to be a pair of Neumann KH 120! :idea:

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A wood case for my new to me, McIntosh MA 6100 integrated amplifier. Music which interests me. An ATN 120e stylus for my Signet TK5Ea cartridge, a comprehensive stylus selection for my Shure M 75 EJ, another M 75 body, a few Technics headshells.

20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Have those speakers come out yet? I’m very interested.

21. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

AND that is what I did almost.. moved my beloved, heavy, Panasonic G10 Plasma (THX certified) to the new apartment and paired it with a Sony soundbar / wireless sub combo with Apple TV and a new Harmony 665 remote. Super simple and easy for my wife to use. Also moved my active Tannoys and Klipsch sub to my new office using the Audient ID4 as the interface with my MacBook. The Yamaha AVR and Monitor Audio system got packed up and moved to storage for a while.

22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I ended up buying a new turntable earlier this month after passing on it last year but I feel pretty complete with my audio systems these days. I'm getting to the stage in life where I'd like to start getting rid of things not acquiring more things.

bever70 likes this.
  23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

A real record cleaning machine :cheers:

24. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

I am buying an Ortofon Cadenza Blue as a Christmas gift for my self and in the spring an integrated tube amp for my Audio Note j.
    Probably an Audio Note OTO or Soro.

25. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Thinking about a really good set of headphones. Any suggestions? Right now have some Senn. HD600's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.