What do you play these on?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyH, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member Thread Starter

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I haven't seen those before and can't say how they are intended to be used. Perhaps they stuffed a Quad mix into two channels. With a digital output to an A/V receiver or pre/pro, you could engage a Dolby Surround mode. Of course, you could do that with any CD.

3. vex

vex New Member

Yeah, these are probably stereo mix-down from quad source. It's funny that they put the "Quadradisc" logo on the cover when none of these titles were ever released in that format. I wouldn't bother with these.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

vex said:

I was wondering about that too.

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Guys,

Those are not DTS discs are they?

Bob:confused:

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Nope.

Imagine was needle dropped from an SQ British quad LP, and poorly at that, as there is a skip on side 1.

Band On The Run, Venus And Mars, Walls And Bridges and Goodnight Vienna were taken from quad 8-track tapes with the 4 channels funnelled down to stereo.

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Yikes!:eek:

Thanks - John!

Bob:)

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Actually though, I wouldn't mind hearing that quad mixes durived from the quad eight tracks even if they are 2 channel fold downs.

There's lots of differences in the mixes on all of these (a lot fewer on Imagine.) I do have an original quad 8 track of Walls And Bridges, but nothing to play it on.

The mixes differences are all listed in The Beatles solo companion book Eight Arms To Hold You.

By the way, at least the quad 8 track of Band On The Run doesn't chop of the first 3 notes of the title track like the DTS disc does.

9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I would think these are bootlegs. I only say that because of the logos used and the discs say "promotional copy - not for sale".

There have been DTS conversions of Imagine, Walls and Bridges, and Goodnight Vienna taken from the British 8-tracks posted on usenet.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Anyone want to guess why the seller is in the southern U.S. and the items are listed on eBay in England? Different rules there?

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Those are inferior fold downs. They SUCK. And they SUCK too. Stay away. And yes, I've heard em.....They're normal redbook CD bootlegs. They didn't even sound like QUAD mixes from what I remeber. :(

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

These are boots all the way. They have the wrong logos on the wrong product. As VEX has stated, non of these were quadradiscs. The quadradisc logo that they are using is from Japanese Only CD-4 albums. The Apple Quadrasonic logo was only used on the John Lennon Imagine Green Q8 (which was later replaced with the standard Apple gold sleeve and a purple cart) and it never had an "S" at the end.

I would be very leary of these CDs at any price. If you want these in quad and have no quad 8 capability, you can go to matrixquad or elsewhere for the DTS conversions.

13. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

That's just because the links were posted by JohnnyH and he is over here on this side of the water searching for things available to the UK - same way that things posted by Dave tend to be on ebay.Ca even when the sellers are in the US.

All the best - Andrew

14. sgraham

sgraham New Member

IIRC there *was* a standard for quad CDs. I don't know if anybody ever actually made any, though, or what would happen if you tried to play them on a standard player.

15. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Correct; the Red Book spec actually allows 37.5 minutes of 4-channel audio... but it appears that no such discs have ever been created.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.