What do you think is the most complex structured pop song under 3 minutes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I have to admit it.. Abba's SOS is really a progressive group number done up as a pop song. Several people on initial hearing wondered why Genesis had a new set of girl singers.
    (compare sound and style with parts of 'Return of the Giant Hogweed, for example)

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Dionne Warwick's "Promises, Promises" is under 3 minutes. That's got the most complex time-signature I can think of in a major pop hit, with all the twists and turns that only Bacharach could manage more than 40 years ago.

But complex alone doesn't make a hit song great. There's tons of avant-garde compositions that are musically complicated, but they aren't exactly the stuff that makes your toes tap.

3. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Several Beach Boys from Pet Sounds fit the bill.

How about I Know There's An Answer or I Just Wasn't Made For These Times?

4. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Genesis: Harold the Barrel, under 3 minutes, 2:58, pretty complex, almost pop

5. il pleut

il pleut New Member

a lot of those jobim tunes are quite complex, and the original recordings (often by gilberto) very short.

i think "this whole world" was the best choice so far.

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

It would be more useful to think in terms of numbers of bars, numbers of sections, bars per section, etc. than in terms of the time of a recording. Tempo, introductions, and repetitions will influence the length of a recording, but they do not speak to the complexity of the composition.

But back to the question as posed, I would say that in terms of music that has achieved widespread popularity, Burt Bachararch wins in this category, hands down.

7. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

No one mentioned "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" the Beatles which I think is a prog-like song. It has four contrasting sections with various music styles, various vocal styles, mulitple time signatures and at one point having a Polyrhythm which was not really that common at the time in rock music.

8. ShockControl

The next song on the record, "Martha, My Dear," is even more complex, in that it doesn't repeat any sections for many, many bars and has a more challenging melodic structure.

9. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

In looking at changes in time, there are several Laura Nyro compositions (And When I Die, Stoned Soul Picnic, e.g.) that I think would qualify.

10. Forget all your overproduced pop and snippets of prog; I say, "Talk Talk" by The Music Machine! It whips arond jarring changes in tempo and arrangement that almost make it sound like two different songs edited together, slowly building tension, but it works wonderfully and is out the door in under two minutes. And it dosen't hit the chours until the last five seconds. Not bad for mere garage rock.

11. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It runs to over 3:20 though.

12. Jobim is a master of the minature, kind of like an Erik Satie for the bossa nova years.

13. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident

A little longer than 3 mins, but easily the winner: Space Opera's "Holy River".

14. Bingo!
    I opened this thread to check if there is Beach Boys mentioned and I was right. (as always :D)
    Waiting for Beatles

15. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

My choice: Fleetwood Mac's "Man Of The World"

16. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

California Girls

17. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

And the Spring remake has a whole OTHER section in there as well!

18. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

I completely agree. "Martha" beats "Happiness is a warm gun" because one doesn't notice how complex it is. It's totally natural.

Also agree with "In Dreams", and stuff by Randy Newman, Jimmy Webb, Laura Nyro, etc.

19. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Great, great song. Luv it too.
    Still it’s missing on many compilations! Can’t see why …

20. ShockControl

Complex in terms of arrangement and production, relatively simple as a composition by Brian Wilson standards.

21. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

That was my nomination was well. An amazing pocket symphony.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I also agree wholeheartedly with Autumn Almanac which seems to incorporate song ideads that could have sufficed for 6 other songs.

More candidates:
    The Byrds - Lady Friend (2:30)
    The Who - Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (2:40)
    Pink Floyd - See Emily Play (2:54)
    Fifth Dimension - Up Up And Away (2:45), Rosecrans Boulevard (2:54)

23. John54

John54 Senior Member

24. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Scarborough Fair/Canticle - 3:10

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I know it runs over three minutes,but I love the way ABBA's "Our Last Summer" twists around. Special mention for the essentially strophic but nonetheless gorgeous Like an Angel Passing Through My Room.

The Beach Boys This Whole World is a great pick. Don't forget Wonderful from the Smile sessions—much prefer the original to Brian Wilson's later performance on the 'completed' Smile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.