What do you think of Blue Oyster Cult?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steveo, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Going to see BOC outdoors here Sunday night. Have always loved them. Last saw them here
    a few years back opening for someone and I was astounded how Buck has lost nothing; he was
    amazing. `Tyranny And Mutation' is a top-5 album for me.

2. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Love them on Tour Forever !!!

3. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

They're my favorite band

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The first three "black and white" albums are as good as it gets, and one of the few instances of a Rock band where the lyrics matter to me enough that they elevate my over all opinion. The "middle period" of Agents, Spectres and Mirrors is different (less darkness and mysticism), more Pop), but on a very high level as well. The latter years (trying to get back to harder Rock), from Cultösaurus onward, are spotty

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I saw them once back in '86. One of my favorite bands, and Buck is a big influence on my playing. I love them very much. The whole band is pretty amazing.

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Very underrated band I own many of their LPs and I bought this when it first came out and I understand now that it is a bit pricey, by the way love B.O.C.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  7. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

You know, I used to think that, too, until I saw a little interview with Eric Bloom a while back. He basically said "...look, we know our type of music is out of fashion today and many of our fans are much older. But there is still an audience for our music and shows and we still like touring and playing. So that's what we're going to do".

I saw them in big arenas during the laser years, saw them at the Chandler Ostrich Festival in the late 80's and all types of stops in between. I think they just love to tour and love their fans, both old and new. And Buck Dharma is still the fastest guitarist in rock. Ever.

So they got that going for them...

8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I like 'em - a lot. In fact I'm going to go see them play in about an hour or so...:D

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

What do I think? Well, I think their pretty awesome. I saw them at a seedy dive in 1993........they were pretty low (popularity wise) at that time, but I enjoyed every second. I think I got in free.:righton:

Doggiedogma and Steveo like this.
  10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

First 3 albums I could put up against anything and they hold their ground. After that for me its a bit spotty I love individual tunes but not entire records.

11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

never got into them.saw them early on probably around time of first or second album and didn't buy what they were selling.

Crimson jon and Steveo like this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I own Tyranny and mutation.
    Awesome album, for me

Somesurferdude, Steveo and Erik Tracy like this.
  13. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

I think I have a somewhat unpopular opinion abou them since the first 2 albums do nothing for me but I love Secret Treaties and their middle period (Agents, Spectres and Fire).
    Did not really like Revolution By The Night and everything after that.

hutchguv and el supernautico like this.
  14. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

One of my all time favorite bands. That Ted Stryker show on TV where they did almost the entire Agents of Fortune album live was excellent. Sound quality and playing was great.

Alex D, boboquisp, No Static and 2 others like this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

First three albums are perfection. Truly excellent musically, lyrically, conceptually. No heavy rock band was more artistic and thoughtful. After Agents of Fortune (nearly as good as the first three but not quite as spiny) they started chasing dollars on the novelty bus. Nevertheless, there's always at least a couple of good tracks on any BOC album, at least the ones that I've heard. They shouldn't have split with the rhythm section though - the original band was crazy good and it was a shame that they didn't keep it together.

16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just picked this up recently and sounds good

[​IMG]

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I did unfortunately not buy it when it first came out, but way after it had gone out of print, I thought it would come down in price if I waited, this was a very costly mistake... :(

tinnox likes this.
  18. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I was a teen right around the time BOC got big with Don't Fear the Reaper. I had Agents of Fortune, Spectres, Some Enchanted Evening, and Mirrors.

BOC was at my second or third rock concert, a Day on the Green at Oakland Coliseum in 1978. Ted Nugent and Journey were the headliners. Cheap Trick and AC/DC opened up. BOC was the middle band. I was able to get pretty close for BOC, near Eric Bloom. BOC was much better than I expected..they just had a great stage presence, and songs like E.T.I. were so much better live than the studio version.

After the early 80's, BOC dropped off my radar until about 5 years ago (and 30 years mostly collecting jazz). Picked up Some Enchanted Evening again, and really enjoyed that, and also found the Workshop of Telescopes compilation. I played some BOC for my wife, and she liked it..and does not usually like hard rock. I think BOC is really different than a lot of other bands in their music (variety), vocals and lyrics.

It's pretty cool that Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma are still out playing, and bringing it to their fans.

geo50000, Joti Cover, DME1061 and 4 others like this.
  19. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I saw them in a small venue many years ago. They were billed as Soft White Underbelly and they were great

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Love 'em

Steveo likes this.
  21. Steveo

I have SEEvand Workshop also Pickef up SEE as a kid and was hooked ever since !!

markp likes this.
  22. Steveo

Love it !!

tinnox likes this.
  23. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Ahhh.. The Transmaniacon Motorcycle Club.
    Heady, twisted and fun.
    Great cool
    So under rated they are underbelly.

kevinsponge, Doggiedogma and Steveo like this.
  24. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Have everything through Imaginos but I tend to stop at Cultosaurus Erectus with my listening. The first three albums are classics and really aged well. Hard to ever get tired of those three. Saw them on the Cultosaurus Erectus tour and the Fire of Unknown Origin tour way back in the day. They were a really great live band too; lasers, mirrors, motorcycles, leather...

Doggiedogma and Steveo like this.
  25. Steveo

Sorry about that !!