What Do You Think Of the MUSIC of The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Someone who's self important gives off an aura of wanting to be thoroughly recognized as being important and significant. I never took him as self important...more like, "you can take me or leave me but I couldn't care less either way".

2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

The Doors are one of those bands where the sum is way bigger than the parts. Jim absolutely needed the other three for his vocals and lyrics to shine, while the other three didn't manage to stay relevant without Jim.

3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

any band that eschews the bass guitar chair in favour of interplay between a classically trained keyboardist and guitarist in support of a poet-singer with an undergraduate degree from UCLA's film school and a fascination with Nietzsche's views on aesthetics, morality, and the Apollonian/Dionysian duality is more than just all right in my book.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This applies to the vast majority of "the great Rock bands", no?

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Li
    Lizard King!

a customer and Mark L. like this.
  6. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Like all artists, it is always about the music (for me).

And The Doors are up there as one of the best ever. Distinctive, surreal, visceral, and a signature group of their time.

Ray Manzarek, especially, was such an integral and distinctive backbone of their sound.

And like all great artists, the music itself sounds just as rewarding today as then. Probably more so.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Been a fan since 67 and their music is timeless for me. Even more so than the Beatles.

Vanderwolff, Mark L., MC Rag and 13 others like this.
  8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Maybe my fave group. I really don't know if I have a favorite anymore, but I guess the Doors are as close to that as possible. All their albums are great, save maybe The Soft Parade, and even that one is better than its reputation suggests.

9. If I Can Dream_23

This for sure. Jim was actually very quiet, as a person, and probably one of the least self important singers out there.

What fans or critics project onto him is not Jim's issue.

Not that he was a Saint by any means, on stage or off. But that's a whole other issue. And one not monopolized by Jim, but could likely be said of virtually any rock and roll star out there! :)

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's my favourite Doors album. I don't think they have even many bad songs. There's nothing on their albums I don't at least enjoy.

11. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I have always enjoyed the doors, just don’t listen to them around your friends they’ll think you’re strange.

Carl Swanson and Jonny W like this.
  12. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

You are lucky.

I didn't "break on through" until 1995.

13. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree.. I think some people don't like Jim because of his fans.

In every interview I've heard (and I've heard everyone available) he comes across as observant, intelligent, curious, humble, and kind.

14. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I don’t rate Densmore or Krieger very highly as instrumentalists, Manzarek tended to overplay & I’m not crazy about the choice of organ sound, & Morrison was a better writer than singer. Having said al that, I really enjoy most of their catalog.

It just goes to show it’s the songs that really matter in the end, & The Doors have a lot of great songs.

bluejimbop and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I’m not a giant fan. However, Musically they had it all. They were pretty innovative and without thinking too much about it, Jim was a bonafide singer in the style of Tom Jones and maybe later Elvis.

16. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Love them. I used to hate them but I’ve changed. I hear Manson and Satan and Freud and Huxley and a bunch of Greek gods. They have some awful songs but their greatest hits is killer. Jim was a fantastic crooner.

17. If I Can Dream_23

Indeed.

I think many that do not like the Doors have an issue with the ethereal nature of the poetry, but one always has to remember that Jim was a poet within a framework of a pop band. Not a musician dabbling in poetry. I think most critics of the group have an issue because they want Jim to be the latter (which is more normal and expected in popular music).

It is perfectly fine if one just doesn't care for his lyrics (his poetry), but Jim was simply being genuine in the priority of his ambitions and craft.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  18. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Yes and no. Some bands became even more popular after their singer left (Genesis for example), but yes, I do agree that the Doors were a great rock band.

BeatleJWOL, Crimson Witch and DK Pete like this.
  19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Really fine music and playing. Solid tunes.

Jonny W, D-rock, Humbuster and 2 others like this.
  20. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

The Doors music is timeless in my opinion. Fantastic well crafted music from 1967 debut album all the way to 1971 L.A. WOMAN.

vertical, Mojo7575, Jonny W and 12 others like this.
  21. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Top band, and it always peeved me some that Jim got all the attention. However, beside the attention put on his lyrics and persona, he was also an integral part of the music they made. Krieger, a great and unique guitarist; Densmore, an interesting and dynamic drummer; Manzerek, a cool keyboard player and I love the many odd sounds he used. The sum was even greater than the parts though. They really cooked it up.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Vanderwolff, Mark L., D-rock and 5 others like this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Doors is (are?) one of those bands were I couldn't nominate a favourite album because it could either be "Strange Days", "L.A. Woman" or the debut. All six original albums are at least good.

I also happen to love their artwork btw. With the dia sleeve of "L.A. Woman" being my favourite. That's just a terrific, innovative cover design. And also cool as hell with the "electric Jesus" inner.

Penny24, Man at C&A, trd and 2 others like this.
  23. Quantum Reason

Quantum Reason Forum Resident

Love The Doors, the band with Jim. My favorites are: The Doors, Strange Days and L.A. Woman then Waiting For The Sun. After that, a toss up between Morrison Hotel and The Soft Parade. Sometimes, I prefer the order to be: The Doors, L.A. Woman, Strange Days and then Waiting For The Sun. But, loved the unique musicianship between the guys. And like the others have said, Jim needed the other guys and the other guys needed him. The two albums without Jim didn't sound like The Doors to me. But, then you take something like Ghost Song and you could hear the band shining through, well after Jim's passing.

24. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

I see what you mean (even though I love the Doors).
    Andy Kershaw on the BBC once said after a clip of the Doors was shown on the Whistle Test (I think it was) "No One Here Gets Out Awake"

a customer and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.