What do you want to see on a Please Please Me SDE?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SixOClockBoos, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie Thread Starter

Thought this would be a fun thread idea. In terms of what we've been getting on the recent Beatles SDE in terms of outtakes, what would be some outtakes you want to hear from Please Please Me? Also, what would you want to see included in terms of bonus content on the SDE? I'll start with my wishlist.

Disc 1: Please Please Me (New Mix): Since Sgt. Pepper was done in mono and was remixed based off the mono mix, I figured out a way Please Please Me could receive a new mix with the limitations of the two channel control desk. Since the album's stereo mix is in w-i-d-e s-t-e-r-e-o, possibly the channels could be squished together a bit more so the instruments and vocals aren't panned far to opposite sides. Some mixes can have the channels switched so the vocals will be primarily on the left and the instruments primarily on the right. Unfortunately, there can't be new mixes for "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You" (unless they use some mono to stereo technique).

Disc 2: Outtakes: Since the past SDE's included outtakes and snippets we've heard on the Beatles mini docs, anthologies, and other places, I feel like we're going to get the same type of outtakes, with more content (like in the "Rocky Raccoon" outtake from the White Album SDE). This is going to be based on the recording order of the Please Please Me session and we'll try to get at least one outtake from each song.

1. Love Me Do (Original Single Version): This can't be given a new remix and since no outtakes of "Love Me Do" exist anymore due to EMI's tape policy, we may be SOL with getting outtakes for this one.
    2. There's A Place - Take 1: Good inclusion to include the first recording of a song on the Beatles' mammoth recording session.
    3. There's A Place - Take 10: Album version before overdubs.
    4. I Saw Her Standing There - Takes 6-9: Three takes of breakdown before getting the final complete take of the song (Take 9 previously included on the "Free As A Bird" Single)
    5. A Taste Of Honey - Take 1
    6. A Taste Of Honey - Take 5: Before overdubs
    7. Do You Want To Know A Secret - Take 1
    8. Do You Want To Know A Secret - Take 6: Before overdubs
    9. There's A Place - Take 11: First harmonica overdub
    10. Misery - Takes 8 & 9: False start followed by a complete run.
    11. Anna (Go To Him) - Take 1
    12. Boys - Take 1: According to Mark Lewisohn, the song was faded on the album. This outtake would give us the studio ending.
    13. Chains - Take 1: Album take. Again, given a fade out when it was being mixed. Cold ending here.
    14. Baby It's You - Take 3: Before overdubs
    15. Twist And Shout - Take 2: Probably the most interesting outtake of bunch. Lewisohn does report that it was a full take.
    16. From Me To You - Take 3: Why not include outtakes from their March 5th recording session too? Takes 1 and 2 are already available on The Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1963, so this is the oldest unreleased take.
    17. From Me To You - Takes 6 & 7: False start followed by their final complete take.
    18. Thank You Girl - Take 6: Master take with the original ending intact
    19. One After 909 - Take 3: A breakdown, includes studio chat heard on Anthology 1
    20. One After 909 - Complete: Already on Anthology 1, but included for completion sake.

Disc 3: Original Mono album. Plus mono mixes of From Me To You, Thank You Girl.

DVD: TV footage, concert footage from the song included on the album, the "From Me To You" and "She Loves You" single.

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice post, some great ideas!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Many of the outtakes you've listed no longer exist in the Abbey Road vaults, so they cannot be included in such a set, unfortunately.

McLover and Bern like this.
  4. bjr

bjr Senior Member

That was a radio show.

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

The complete Decca audition and a handful live tracks from the era that were not on Anthology 1 is probably all that we will get. Maybe a few outtakes if they exist, but questionable.

I'm wondering if Apple will include a remaster of the original mono in the SDE of the early albums as well...

longdist01 and TaumpyTears like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What the **** is an SDE and can you catch it from your ex-girlfriend?

Spell it out, geez. Can a moderator fix this thread title so that more than 7 people will look at it? Thanks.

7. No, Steve, the "Special Deluxe Edition" is what your ex-girlfriend is now giving to her new boyfriend. :whistle:

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Poor guy. Hope he’s had his shots.

Sticks, Dave, pablo fanques and 9 others like this.
  9. SixOClockBoos

I originally thought that including the "Love Me Do" and "Besame Mucho" from the June 1962 session however since they include Pete Best drumming instead of Ringo, I didn't think that if a set like this was released that Ringo would approve it.

10. SixOClockBoos

Here's hoping they aren't circulating on the bootleg circuit and are just being tightly locked behind the vaults :angel:

PIGGIES likes this.
  11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

They're not.

12. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Unfortunately, most of the session tapes doesn't exist anymore.

5. A Taste Of Honey - Take 1
    6. A Taste Of Honey - Take 5: Before overdubs
    7. Do You Want To Know A Secret - Take 1
    8. Do You Want To Know A Secret - Take 6: Before overdubs

All this was on reel E48876, gone for good.

11. Anna (Go To Him) - Take 1
    12. Boys - Take 1: According to Mark Lewisohn, the song was faded on the album. This outtake would give us the studio ending.
    13. Chains - Take 1: Album take. Again, given a fade out when it was being mixed. Cold ending here.
    14. Baby It's You - Take 3: Before overdubs

Reel E48878, doesn't exist anymore.

15. Twist And Shout - Take 2: Probably the most interesting outtake of bunch. Lewisohn does report that it was a full take.
    Reel E48879, doesn't exist.

13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Don't forget the early take of Hold Me Tight, which is also gone for good.

14. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

What happened to them since Lewisohn heard them in the 80's?

15. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

The original <W-I-D-E> stereo album mix of all tracks with electronically reprocessed stereo of 'Love Me Do' and 'P.S. I Love You' in 24 bit 192 kHz mastering and more importantly song writing credits as McCartney/Lennon... :agree:

Dave, oxenholme and Sidewinder43 like this.
  16. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

The paperwork still exists so he was able to provide details but he didn't hear them.

Onder likes this.
  17. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Let’s start with what we know to exist

I saw her standing there take 1-12
    Misery 1-9
    Please please me unknown take
    Do you want to know a secret 7-8
    A taste of honey 6-7
    There’s a place 1-13

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

A Beatles sub-forum

rnranimal, Tommyboy and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  19. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Misery (Take 9) exists too. It's even out there on boots.

20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Decca Tapes, Hamburg, Quarrymen Home Recordings. Depends a bit how you stretch the definition. And on with the Beatles you can add the acetates that survived of songs written for other artists

longdist01 likes this.
  21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It always surprised me that there is quite a lot of these sessions on bootleg. Much more than With the Beatles, A Hard Days Night and For Sale. Was a tape stolen?

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

He didn't hear them, they didn't exist in the 80s.

23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Not stolen but copied.
    A certain DJ was the source.
    Then later a deceased former EMI employee's cache.

24. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Seeing that other tapes from the same sessions are missing, maybe we are lucky this copy was made

Bern likes this.
  25. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've been experimenting with a couple of tracks myself spreading out the instrument track with some stereo separation and keeping the vocals more or less mono. The result was reasonably good so I imagine if they did something like this and expanded on it they could do a reasonably interesting remix of Please Please Me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.