What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Except, this vegan is a chef who cooks and eats the 'new Double Bacon Triple Cheese Burger'.

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, especially when they got it so right in 2099.

Drifter, theshape and ToneLa like this.
  3. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

mmmm....I had to think about that for awhile.

4. john morris

In am not like some guy on Utube using all caps. I only use all caps to make a point because some members didn't get my post the first time. I had to state my point twice. The all caps is so I don't have to repeat myself.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What are you guys on about?

6. john morris

Some people like the remixes, some don't. My opinion on the remixes don't really matter. But all I have been saying is people should make up their own minds and not be swayed by one person's opinion.

I am biased - I love remixes. On the other hand you have persons on here who would hate any Beatle remix. And others who don't like any remixes at all. ( I hate all my remixes too but that is different.)

I don't hear this harshness. And this is on a Moon CD-1 with a KRK KNS 8400 Professional heaphones played through a Grado R-1 Headphone Amp.

The Doors 40th remixes, Yellow Submarine Song Book remixes, Rubber Soul and Help remixes, Love, #1...Mostly disliked on this site. I wonder why?

Gila and Michael like this.
  7. john morris

O.k great .....Well that's one.
    Can we have confirmation for this sir.

Michael likes this.
  8. john morris

I respect your opinion. I didn't like the mashup concept either. But the straight up remixes on Love like "Revolution" were great. Pitty they cut it short at the end.

Michael likes this.
  9. john morris

They came last night dressed in gorilla masks and beat me with the Quebec City Telephone book. And that thing is HUGE. (I used all caps in the last word because some members really like my ALL CAPS.)

I think some (I said some) of the members on here are so attached to the original mixes that it wouldn't matter what the remixes sounded like. They probably wouldn't like them. Ringo loves the new mixes because the drums are louder. And it was the CD version Paul and Ringo heard, not the vinyl which I hear is better.

Yes, the original engineers recorded a lot of those instrumental and vocal tracks with a lot of limiting already. This was to get a certain sound or effect. For Baby Martin to add compression to tracks that were already overlimited is bringing coals to Newcastle. Too many engineers just add compression to every track now it's crazy. No one would add heavy compression on a kick in 1975. But they do it now. Sucking the life out of the music.

Members on here think Pepper is overcompressed. Compared to 60's music - Sure. Compared to most of the new releases coming out it's not compressed at all. I have heard hundreds of amateur masters at work that have no dynamic range at all. most of them have a DR rating of 5-2.

For mastering they are supposed to leave at least 3 db of dynamic range left or preferred 6 db.
    All they do is max is out to where the thing is hitting zero and never comes down. And then normalize the volume down to -3 dbfs. This is not what we meant.

Compared to the crap I hear at work the remix of Pepper is an audiophile record.

c-eling and Michael like this.
  10. john morris

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...nothing is going to change my mind...giles is a detriment to the Beatles legacy...

EricSwan likes this.
  12. Michael

NOT ALL ...with a caveat for me...as long as giles isn't involved even in thought!

formu_la likes this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't even listen to the original mix anymore.

Giles Martin was warped my young old brain. God help us...in the future.

14. Michael

??? good for you...it's your brain and it's been gilesfied. LOL...

15. Hmmm...

16. Michael

what is it old or young? : )

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Depends on who you ask.

18. Michael

O' OK it'll remain one of the great mysteries...but, I know better...Neil Young is the answer...

19. john morris

At least Giles did a normal stereo mix. did you see the video on how he did the 5.1 mixes for #1 from the 4 tracks? Are you sitting down my fine Hoffman member ?

Baby Giles decided traditional 5.1 mixes wouldn't work for those early 4 track Beatle tunes. He reasoned that putting imstruments or vocals in the side or rear would not sound good. So he turned the rear monitors around so that the front of the speakers now faced the rear wall. He played his stereo remixes through the rear speakers and recorded the sound with two microphones set up in a stereo configuration. And that "live recording" of the stereo mixes coming out of the rear speaker facing the wall was put in the rear channels. This was Giles Martin's 5.1 mixes for The Beatle 4 track songs on N0. 1.....I am not kidding! . I can't find the video.

Someone tell me I got it all wrong because I still can't believe he did this? This is not remixing. Don't be a lazy gitface and do a proper 5.1 mix Giles. You could have mixed the song in a half circle. And he had most of the time 5 tracks, not 4. With a phase trick he separated the bass on a separate track. WT!@$*?!?!? You can't do a 5.1 mix with 5 tracks? And there is multichannel reverb and delay. For example you can put Harrison's lead guitar in the rear right channel but have a delay that hits the front channels. All kinds of tricks to make a 5 track 5.1 mix sound full and huge. He didn't even attempt a proper mix until he got 8 tracks. If I had done these mixes it would probably suck but at least people would have had a real 5.1 mix from the 4 tracks instead of Baby Giles' Magical Pseudo Remixing Bore. Anyone on here could have done better than recording the rear speakers.

This is not what people want in a 5.1 mix!
    What Baby Giles did can be done with DSP setting on Pioneer receiver from the early 90's.

Jet Age Eric and Michael like this.
  20. john morris

What if Giles brought you flowers and candy?

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

LOL...

john morris likes this.
  22. Michael

I know all about his 5.1 intensions....he said he wanted the 5.1 mix to emulate the superior MONO mix...LOL
    when did he do a regular stereo mix? I'm confused here???

23. john morris

Well.....Ahhh.......mmmmm......Ahhh.....You know......A ahhh....mmmm a regular stereo remix that actually has stuff moved around the sound Stage as opposed to his fake 5.1 mixes where no mixing happened at all. He took the new stereo mix and put that in the front channels and then he took his live recording of the stereo remix and put that in the rear channels. No 5.1 mixing here. I would call his multichannel psedu mix pretty irregular. Anything else is regular. Right?

24. Michael

I have no idea of his process other than I don't like his result. I'll take your word for it. : )

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"This is your brain...on Giles!"
    [​IMG]

Keith V and Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.