What does Steve Hoffman think of the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Personally I likes me Fabs original mix
    but a remix is ok for a different perspective....
    Like looking out the window of another room in the house on the backyard

When Yoko had John's catalogue remix years ago
    the result was illuminating!

2. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Here are a few reviews a quick google search found

The Beatles: Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary Edition review – peace, love and rock star ennui

The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's" never sounded better

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [50th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Version] by The Beatles

Review: The Beatles’ ‘Sgt. Pepper’s’ Anniversary Editions – Rolling Stone

There was a poll here - last time I looked the remix was leading the original. Giles mentions on the White Album trailer that the fans liked the Pepper remix. It seems to have sold well

Paul P. likes this.
  3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I don't believe the hype or the comments/reviews by some people in the press about the 50th anniversary.
    I much prefer the sound of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab UHQR vinyl (using original mix with special audiophile treatment) over the 50th Anniversary Remix vinyl.
    The UHQR has better presence and better sounding overall and that have made me appreciate the album more.
    The UHQR still remains as my go-to vinyl pressing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No argument from me. Overall, it's one of the best sounding tracks on the album..great drum sound, razor-sharp guitars and one of the most bass-driven Beatle tracks ever.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's a house shaker! LOVE IT!

6. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

So, four people and Giles? Awesome. A slam dunk. It sold well. Ah, yuh - it's the Beatles.

formu_la and DeRosa like this.
  7. leeroy jenkins

Watcha got?

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

The Beatles always played great as a band, but they rise to unbelievable heights when they get a hold of a Lennon rocker like Everybody........

Somerset Scholar and canonlon like this.
  9. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Mixing is by definition a bunch of artistic decisions. Therefore, any debate about which mix is 'better' makes no sense. You may like a remix better than the original mix, or vice versa, that's fine but we cannot pretend one mix is objectively better than the other.

A remix is an artistic statement by the remix engineer(s). I feel no need to listen to that kind of thing, because I'd rather spend my time listening to the original artistic decisions made at the time the record was created. But other people may enjoy remixes, and that's fine.

Electric, Somerset Scholar and Onder like this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Are you kidding ? I think it was 50/50 but certainly some people who insisted the remix was the greatest thing since sliced bread in spite of many experienced ears condemning it.

formu_la likes this.
  11. leeroy jenkins

No, not kidding. Even here, where the guy on the banner said he didn't like it, the remix is preferred over the original.
    POLL: Sgt Pepper's - 1967 or 2017 Stereo Version?

Outside of this forum, it was very well received.

A well respected man likes this.
  12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Yup, there’s a ton of people out there who thought it was great, with and without having “experienced” ears. I think it’s because they enjoyed listening as opposed to sniffing a cork.

13. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

For me this was the issue. So many chances to make Pepper mindblowing as a remix. Overuse of compression in what I believe was the mixing stage made all the difference. The opening of "Kite" just makes me go into convulsions. If they had dialed it back a little it would have worked. The concept and the stereo staging was fab. The sonics were the issue (and I really don't think you can blame the mastering fully when you compare the new record to the high digital files).

Having said that, after watching the promo video for the release, I thought Helter Skelter was promising.
    And I am good with how it sounds on the UK tube cut too - crankable goodness. In fact, I think I will put it on now!

14. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

Although I was hyping about remixing at first, after numerous comparisons with 09 stereo remaster my conclusions is: 2017 Kite is a total mess. IMO, it's not only this loud beginning, that "circus caleydoscope" sounds towards the end are actually clearer and punchier in 2009 stereo to me. I do like the 2017 bassy kick drum though, but the rest is just overcooked and the centered vocals are not really saving anything.

I always compare 2017 Pepper with famous Doors 2007 stereo mixes. L.A. Woman for instance, sounds very different compared to the original stereo, but it's not so abrasive or compressed. It sounds modern, yet it preserves dynamics. My only complaint would be a bit shy bass. Just my 2c.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    EVOLVIST and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool...: )

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  16. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

If Giles has anything to do with it, it's likely to be another loud Frankenstein mix. By his own admission, he engineered the sound of Pepper to appeal to what he believed young listeners would want to hear. The upcoming release will certainly be of interest by virtue of its previously unreleased material, and I hope that Giles doesn't screw that up as well.

17. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The 50th remix of Pepper has made me appreciate the original stereo mix more. I have picked up a few very beautiful NM copies for not that much money at all
    This, from a guy who prefers the Mono Pepper overall!

Contact Lost likes this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This was my experience as well. After the Giles wall of loud sound, the original stereo was like fresh air.

19. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

In prep for TWA 50th, I revisited the 5.1 mix for PEPPER. YES, it still sucked. I really hope that the 5.1 for TWA is about 97.8% better. But there is something I discovered. I had only listened to the remix on CD. I decides to try the LPCM 96/24 stereo on the bluray. I quite enjoyed it! It was about 98.2% better than the CD. Nice !

20. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Oh yeah? Those mixes were from earlier albums. Many audiophiles here believe From Sgt. Pepper on l, he got it right.

21. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

There were few earlier comments on some tracks, which were lopsided in the original stereo mix. I would say Fixing a hole is the biggest offender in this regard, where one of channels is over saturated and another one is empty (except guitar parts). So some sort of "repair" was desirable, but the final mix is unfortunately following the album trend - which is loud and compressed mix.

Many folks here say that the stereo wasn't a priority back in the 1967. Maybe. However, after listening to 2017 Pepper and Pepper songs from the 1999 YSS, I really think they nailed it on many tracks back in 1967. It's not only about stereo separation, it's also about sonics. Some 1967 tracks are better than the other (especially compared to F a H), but my go to versions are 2009 stereo, most of the time. I don't see any major issues where vocals are not perfectly centered. They aren't perfectly centered in Here come the sun either, yet this track sounds extremely enjoyable as it is. Leaving bass and drums in the center and that slow transitioning of John's vocals from left to right in the 1967 stereo ADITL, was also, IMO a great idea.

Clearly, they've put some effort into it back in 1967 . Regards.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  22. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I personally love the sense of space around instruments which is lost in the remix. Now, the original Pepper I find more satisfying on my home stereo than on headphones. Recently I have added to my collection of original stereo Pepper's. One of my new favourites is a Swedish press. The SQ really is superb. This surprised me somewhat. Thin vinyl but what a great punchy sound too! The remix sounds like a mess in comparison.

Contact Lost likes this.
  23. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

White Album 50th anticipation fatigue setting in so I'm listening to disc 2 & 3 of the Pepper's50th box

24. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I do not like the remix. The 2009 is my go-to.

25. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

my biggest complaint about the Sgt. Pepper re-mix is why Mr. Martin felt compelled to mix it like it was coming out of a huge cavern. I much prefer the less "verby" and tighter sound of the original mono and stereo mixes. I also don't like the idea of having everything up in the mix. The Beatles were very selective in what they wanted you to notice in the mono mix. To say this re-mix captures the spirit of that mono mix, IMHO, is simply not the case....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.