What equipment might you buy or sell in 2023?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Dec 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

Do you have any plans to change gear in the upcoming year?

I will take a close look at Janszen's new Nine.Five speakers. Cost and suitability for my room will be the deciding factors, assuming I like the way they sound.

No ideas about electronics, though, unless something breaks and can't be fixed.

Given my HF hearing loss, probably this will be the year I get hearing aids. From what an audio buddy says, they can increase audio enjoyment, so I guess I can consider them audio components.

2. Probably going to sell my Technic's GAE & ModWright 9.0 phono pre, after the New Year.

missan and Mike-48 like this.
  3. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Probably going to buy a preamp, based on the loan of a DartZeel NHB-18NS and its HUGE impact on my system. I'll probably buy (and maybe return) a HoloAudio Serene Kitsune, and borrow a friends Rogue RP-7 and *brands to be determined* from Hawthorne or Definitive here in WA state and have a nice shootout. Maybe I'll throw in something used from The Music Room. I've heard the Benchmark LA-4 and Topping D-90, and they won't be in the mix.

I think I'll end up with the HoloAudio piece, based on some recommendations from some audiophile writer friends recommendations, but I often find I don't end up buying what I was planning to, so...

4. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I'm selling off everything that's been displaced by new gear the past year or two. Preamp, amps , tuner, dac... Now isn't a great time, I usually wait until tax season . Holiday time has never been a good time in my experience to sell gear but when tax returns start coming in... oh yeah.

I am pretty content with my system so no new purchases planned

5. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Likely sell none as I don’t have much excess.

Purchases will probably be minimal.

Just made huge jumps in my TT and amplifier and finally feel like I’m getting what my speakers are capable of.

If I get an uncontrollable urge for more audio equipment my focus would probably be adding a sub or maybe reasonable upgrades on the digital/streamer side.

Lenny99 and Mike-48 like this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I just replaced my TT system to the tube of about $2K. So, likely no purchases in 2023.

Mike-48 likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I need another good cartridge because my best one is moved from the living room system to the other system that is my needle dropping system when I do drops. So I need a great one that stays put and not back and forth when I need a good one in each system. Maybe an AT 750 or something fairly high up in the AT chain but not excessively expensive.

I’d like to try out a nice but good low budget tube preamp as well, to see if that would bring a touch of warmth to the AT carts, yet retain that detail and soundstage one can get with those carts.

Mike-48 likes this.
  8. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Buy: A bigger REL sub.
    Sell: some of my TT's.

9. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Gonna sell my mccormack dna 225 eventually...always a pain selling gear...not looking forward to it.

10. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Hopeful to grab a new turntable in the first half of the year (leaning towards 1210GR). If finances permit (and I’m being a little cautious because weird economic forecasts and layoffs galore in my field) I’ll grab a new pair of speakers as well.

11. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I'm downsizing my Stereo from separates to an Integrated. I have acquired a new Amp and sold a pair of Monoblocks, so I'm getting started. Will be parting with some speakers and replacing them with a new smaller, more efficient pair.

12. james

james Summon The Queen

I would like to try a tube amp in my current room to see if that solves my woes. Probably the Willsenton R8.

If that fails, I’ll try Dirac somehow.

I’m afraid the real solution will be a lot of room treatment which I’m not interested in.

13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I’ll be buying a Wiim Pro after the first of the year.

14. macster

macster Forum Resident

This and this and have my Dragon overhauled. And finish my audioroom (it is considered part of my audio equipment right :sigh:)

M~

Dignan2000, Tim 2, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  15. macster

macster Forum Resident

They just sent me the link for the pro. I'm leaning that way myself, if funds permit.

M~

16. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Nothing left to sell. Not much to buy either other than a sub to supplement my P3ESR and upgrade the caps of my Cary SLI-80.

17. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Depends on what kind of vintage gear pops up at the local stereo shop, flea markets, thrifts... Possibly some Altec Model 14.
    Also lots of capacitors, resistors, parts for existing speakers and amps.
    Probably going to sell of a couple of TT and speaker pairs.

Mike-48 and Jim Hodgson like this.
  18. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

I hope to fulfill my wish and buy an Atoll CD Drive DR200 Signature. I didn't make it this year (2022).

Naka9, Tim 2, Mike-48 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Will probably sell my nearly new Woo Audio WA2 (Headphone amp) as tinnitus has taken all the joy out of my headphone listening,

MGW, Tim 2 and Mike-48 like this.
  20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I am moving to a new home several states away. I have the temptation to sell off gear to downsize before moving, but I am thinking harder about getting everything up there and seeing what works best in the new spaces. I'll have a big sunroom and a dedicated music room (for the first time ever). I have been disappointed by every pair of speakers in my current den as the room was just awful and it was impossible to get any decent bass response in there.

I will, however be selling off all my bookcases speakers, partially because I have two pairs of absolutely wonderful speakers from System Audio but practically no one in the US is at all familiar so I figure it may be best to let the local dealer that has sold them for years to consign them.

I also figure that since the new home if about 100 miles from Nashville the market for used gear should be larger than down here on the coast. Just not much of a market in New Orleans for good stuff!

Lenny99, Dignan2000, mreeter and 3 others like this.
  21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Might decide to get new speakers so my B&W 603, 602 and 601 will have to be sold.

22. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’m considering selling everything I’m no longer using daily. There’s an Audio Research CA50, a pair of Thiel CS.5, pair of Focal Cobalt 806S, PS Audio GCPH, 1:5/1:10 step-up transformer, Benz Micro LO.4, re-tipped Dynavector 10x4, Musical Fidelity V-LPS and V-DAC, and a Shanling PH300 headphone amp. We’ve been downsizing most of our stuff over the past several years, including selling a car and not replacing it.

23. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Various old dacs, bluetooth streamers, old speakers. Need to reduce overall clutter.

24. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I am tempted - but just tempted at this stage - to get money out of speaker-based and into a headphone-based system.

I almost never have time to listen at decent volumes to my speakers and, having heard what a truly great headphone system can do, have learned that the latter can take you straight into the heart of a recording in a way that it is difficult to do with speakers without enormous expenditure.

TimB, mreeter, pressureworld and 3 others like this.
  25. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

I get that. But maybe a little room treatment? When I started using it, it was remarkable how even the first panels made a big difference. Perhaps the first ones even made the biggest difference.

Whatever you go with, good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.