What equipment might you buy or sell in 2023?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Dec 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 312elements

312elements Forum Resident

@FuzzyNightmares I’ve got a few pairs of cans (went off the deep end early in the pandemic when I was working from home and supervising my kids doing e-learning. My experience is that first you need to decide over ear or iem. I like open back over ears better than IEM’s, but I prefer iems to closed back over ear headphones. HD6xx is a relatively inexpensive way to get into the game and I’m shocked by how much I enjoy them given their price relative to my Hifiman Arya (original version). The Arya is a completely different experience and are a little bit more fun given their huge soundstage, but they’re also quite large and it’s easy to feel a little ridiculous wearing them. I have a Woo Audio WA6SE and a WA22. The WA 22 runs double duty as my preamp in my main rig.

I wouldn’t say I have any real regrets in purchases, but I’d say that if I were starting over I’d probably just get one of the solid state thx amps and spend the extra money on better headphones. The noise floor of a tube amp is going to be higher (not noticeable unless there’s nothing playing). I think the upside is fairly difficult to appreciate. I think the differences between headphone amps are mostly in raw power and less in nuance. Not that it’s not there if you pay close attention, but I don’t find it to be a huge contribution to the overall experience the way that I do with speakers.

I’ll also say that if you do decide to go with a Woo Audio amp, Mike, the sales guy, is an amazing human and one of my favorite people in the industry.

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  2. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I'll be curious as to your feelings about these speakers. I am very happy with my AE 1 Actives!

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, I've already purchased (not yet received) the PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk 2. Now I really need to sell these other components--I've offered someone the first shot at the CSP2+ in a few months, but I need to put the Taboo Mk IV up. . . it's so hard to part with even though it's not in use!

mreeter likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Bought: Cambridge Audio 200M DAC

Selling: Linn Kolektor preamp

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Can’t figure anything I really need but I’m sure I’ll keep on tryin.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  6. 312elements

Just ordered another MP-7 from Darlington Labs and Keith mentioned he’d be in town for Axpona in April. I’m certain I’ll find something there to lust after. VM750Sh in route. Now I just need to settle on a turntable.

Hoping to offload a couple of schiit Aegir amps, an emotiva XPA-2, and an RME ADI-2.

Harris11235 likes this.
  7. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Are you adding a second table or getting rid of the Sota? Interesting to see the Aries won out against the RME for you.

8. 312elements

2021-2022 was a lot of learning and testing. In doing so... I ended up with a lot of duplicate gear. I think rather than get hammered on the used market, I'd rather repurpose what I can. Vinyl is a bit of a pain in the butt (constantly flipping and cleaning albums), but I've learned to really enjoy it. Most of the time spent in my listening room I'm also working so digital is often easier so I don't get to listen to vinyl as much as I would like. I spend a couple hours a day with background music on in the main part of the house and I feel like I'd be more inclined to listen to vinyl during that time. I thought about moving the Sota upstairs, but I'd be uncomfortable with other people using it and I'd eventually miss it in the main listening room. I think one of the Technics offerings will be a little more user friendly for the rest of the family. As for the Aries vs RME. In this room I could live with either, but I prefer the Aries II. The RME is probably a better DAC for the purposes of strictly converting digital to analog, but I much prefer the sound of the Aries. It has a sound signature where the RME doesn't, and I rather like it. It's smoother, slightly mid forward, and much more dimensional. It's being paired with a nice NAD C298 Class D amp and some LS50 metas.

Harris11235 likes this.
  9. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

The used unit I’m looking at is listed for $800, comes with backup tubes, and is the earlier model that can function as a preamp. Feels like one of those deals that’s hard to walk away from. With that said I’d probably want to get some beyer t1’s to pair with it and I wasn’t really planning on spending $1500 this month haha.

10. 312elements

@FuzzyNightmares that is a great deal. The Woo amps keep creeping up in price too. My 2 cents... test out those cans first and make sure they're your thing. OTL amps with headphones are kind of like flea watt amps and speakers in that it's all about pairings and you're fairly limited in what pairs well. I've never listened to the T1's and I have no reason to suggest or believe they're not amazing, especially with that amp, but if you later decide that planar headphones are more your thing, then you not only need new cans, but also a new amp. I think the threshold for OTL amps is something like 150 ohm headphones. So those T1's should be great, but HD6xx and HD8xx should also be good matches.

11. Harris11235

That's all very relatable. I think a lot of people (certainly me included) have been in the same spot, and other rooms in my house have benefitted from the upgrades.

I never use the turntable in my office anymore for exactly the reason you mention. Interruptions every 20 minutes aren't conducive to deep work. My listening in general keeps creeping more and more toward exclusively digital. The move from a RME to a Denafrips helped me with that too. I still think the RME is a phenomenal DAC, and it'll be moved somewhere else in the house. It's definitely a keeper. Maybe a headphone station next to that chair that sits in the morning sun...

312elements and Glmoneydawg like this.
  12. I think i will try a Rega Exact. Easy to install and i need something simple to install. Hands are not what they use to be!

312elements likes this.
  13. 312elements

@Harris11235 this might sound crazy, but my interest in vinyl is almost work related. I’m a photographer and I have each of my clients give me an album recommendation. I use it as a way to build a diverse collection, experience new music, and a little bit of marketing. After I’ve listened to the album I send them a note thanking them for the referral and a couple comments about what I liked about it. It’s a great way to build stronger relationships with these folks, it makes them feel appreciated, and it’s led to repeat and referral business. The plan is to create some social commentary on the album artwork and the physical album assets as well. Kind of a way to connect with folks on a different level. I’m about 3 months in and it’s been a lot of fun.

Oddiofyl, Slimwhit33 and Harris11235 like this.
  14. Harris11235

That’s a great idea! I checked out your website, you do great work!

312elements likes this.
  15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I just pulled the trigger on a SOTA Escape Turntable with Origin Live Arm and 1.5" platter . Toughest part is choosing a cartridge....

16. 312elements

@Oddiofyl congrats! MM, MC, or MI? So much of it seems to come down to budget. I’ve read a lot of threads. Seems like AT has a strong grip on the sub $500 market and things start to open up from there.

I ended up spending an extra $500 on the Darlington SU7 to get into MC territory and I always wondered if that money would have been better spent on the cart.

Oddiofyl likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

New portable music player to replace my aging FIIO device.

312elements likes this.
  18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I just bought a new preamp so I probably won’t make any big purchases. I might sell off some older gear though. My old preamp and a couple of unused receivers might be sent to new homes.

312elements likes this.
  19. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Thanks ! I think I'm going to order the Darlington MP7. Made right here in Baw-ston....

Any recommendations for a great MM cart ? I'm looking to spend $500 -$600. Not sure if a great MM over an entry level MC is the better choice ???

20. 312elements

On my Sota I went for the Hana SL and I’ve been happy. I’m setting up a second system. I’ve got a MP7 coming for it and I chose the VM750SH. Seemed to have a lot of positive reviews and a decent upgrade path at a price I could justify. Hopefully in a few years I’ll have enough experience to be able to make more informed decisions but for now… it’s relying on the input of others.

Oddiofyl likes this.
  21. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Selling the Holo Audio Serene I thought for sure (earlier in this thread) was going to be the preamp for me. It was amazingly transparent, and improves everything you plug in to it, BUT didn't have the gain/impedance match I was looking for. It's on USA Audiomart right now.

312elements likes this.
  22. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

It’s especially tough with turntables. Every part must work in sync or it can sound really bad.

What precipitated this purchase was digging my Dads old Garrard Lab 80 out of storage and getting it to work.

It actually “works” well accept for the bearing rumble and worn stylus.

It was nostalgic at best , but I remember how good my last table was. It wasn’t great by any stretch , an older Planar 3 with an Ortofon OM 30 but it was a good sounding table

312elements likes this.
  23. 312elements

@gingerly what are you leaning towards replacing it with?

24. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I actually did a shootout with 4 preamps and my Meitner MA3 using its built-in preamp here:

Preamp Shootout, Holo Audio Serene, Lab12 Pre1, PS Audio BHK Signature preamp, Primare Pre30

In my system the Lab12 Pre1 had more saturated color and gave me more of what my very transparent Decware Zen Select amplifier is cable of. The Lab12 is certainly the equal of the Holo Audio Serene Kitsune, but offers more impedance and gain on its outputs that is much more synergistic in my system. Having said that, I'd say that Holo Audio is better than almost any other preamp I have heard or auditioned regardless of price range.

312elements and Oddiofyl like this.
  25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

For the first time in years I have no plans to buy or sell anything related to my system. No pressing or minor needs. May do some open racks and add some LP storage and media organization in general which is long overdue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.