What ever became of....? Actor and Actress who you don't see anymore.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t give much credence to what a director who is known for being unprepared and clueless when dealing with actors like Smith has to say about her

2. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Molly Ringwald is the perfect example of why young actors need good management. She picked “prestige” garbage like Fresh Horses (1988), but turned down Blue Velvet, Pretty Woman, AND Ghost

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You might not have noticed the difference of the box office receipts between these individuals?

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

And you know this how?

Have you bothered to listen to Smith's rants about Bruce Willis? No, because that'd mess with your lame gender narrative.

Have you met Grant? I think you two would get along great. :D

4_everyman likes this.
  5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Willis rightly criticized Smith for rightly not knowing how he wanted to frame scenes before arriving on set. I’m sorry that pointing out misogyny triggered you so much

6. Strat-Mangler

It didn't. And I'll take your lame reply to confirm what I suspected already. Why bother to get all the info when you can stick with your narrative, huh? Yeah, I figured as much.

BTW, framing is what an AD and DP are for. Remind me how many films Bruce directed, again? Oh, right.

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Anyone remember Anjanette Comer? Lots of TV work in the 60s and 70s, some movies, too. I particularly remember an early 70s TV movie called 5 Desperate Women that also starred Stephanie Powers, Denise Nicholas and Joan Hackett, another WEHT actress.

badfinger54 likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

Quite unfortunate. But no different from many other actors who have turned down career changing rolls and have top agencies representing them.

Not that it means anything, because at the end of the day, it is the box office cash box which is the final determining factor, but I do enjoy "little" movies.

I didn't actually care for Fresh Horses when I first saw it at the cinema, but years later, I did come to appreciate it more.

Movie history is full of actors/actresses who win the Best Actor/Actress academy award and then go right directly to making "meaningful" movies, which almost age predestined to BOMB!

Personally "Betsy's Wedding" was scraping the bottom of the barrel, nothing redeeming there.

Something to Live for: The Alison Gertz Story, was only a TV movie, but Molly didn't compromise her acting, for TV.

Afterward she was in the TV mini-series, The Stand, which I personally thought was well done and entertaining.

Baja, was only released as a video.

But Molly undeterred by her career downturn, moved to France where she took up eating cheese.

She came back to the states, wrote books and returned to her roots in TV.

Molly is a talented individual, who has had an overall successful career, which is still going strong.

She is an accomplished Jazz singer and has toured internationally.

We all make a mistake or two along the way.

It is always hard to say, but maybe Pretty Woman and Ghost would not have been the huge success that they were, if Julia Roberts and Demi Moore had not been cast in them? I don't think that not being in Blue Velvet had a negative impact on her career path.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I always felt like Molly was done as as a major box office draw by 1987 anyway. Not to take away from her talent in other realms, but in film, I always saw her as a one trick pony.

10. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I recently saw her playing a child psychiatrist or something in a really awful Netflix horror movie. It was a bit part, kinda felt bad for her.

11. SandAndGlass

Her lifetime achievements speak for themselves. She definitely wasn't a "one trick pony."

In the movie business you are in demand one moment. Have a couple of "duds" at the box office, and your demand decreases considerably.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never thought of Ringwald as a box office draw on her own. She prospered in John Hughes movies and that was it, so she was a "system quarterback"...

13. SandAndGlass

Back then she was a teen. Teen movies by their nature tend to be ensemble movies that deal with other teens and school, which is what your life revolves around, when you are a teenager.

I would say that you are correct. She was the teen queen, the quarterback star of John Hughes movies.

I don't think she really made the transition to adult movies.

I also don't think it was that much different with other teenage stars from the eighties.

Where are Molly's costar's after the brat pack movies?

That is not just then. Look at the 21st century teen stars, like those in the Harry Potter and Twilight movies. Only Emma Watson and Mackenzie Foy have moved along in their careers.

Molly was fortunate starting out in TV and making her transition to the movies. Most child TV stars careers don't go anywhere once their TV series comes to an end.

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Daniel Rattcliffe has been busy since Harry Potter, both in film and theatre.

And to some extent, so have Tom Felton (Malfoy) and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) with bit roles in TV and movies (Felton has had some starring roles too.)

15. SandAndGlass

Daniel Radcliffe did well moving into theater. Not that Dan, Rupert and Tom are unsuccessful in their careers, but most are in TV and Movies that nobody sees.

Where Emma and McKinsey have gone on to larger movies and are likely to have some staying power in movies are are more visible to the general public.

Twilight's Robert Pattinson, has had a good movie career outside of Twilight and will make his next major appearance as Batman.

16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Wizard of lies was a good HBO movie

Jrr likes this.
  17. a customer

Ben Stiller and jim Carey are not funny?

18. a customer

Broadcast news was a good film too.and the doctor. I think he had massive ego issues.

MikaelaArsenault and Purple Jim like this.
  19. a customer

the puppet movie didn't help either

20. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Whatever happened to Kevin Sorbo? The last thing I saw him in was a Hallmark Christmas movie several years ago.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

madeleine stowe?

eric stoltz?

johnod and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Guy's a talented actor/director. He's done a few good things since then. Get The Gringo is a good action flick, a sort of sequel to Payback which I quite liked. I skipped the Expandables series but heard he did well in the 3rd installment.

All of his directorial endeavors were critically acclaimed and liked by audiences.

23. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

He's making friends with people on Twitter. :whistle:

24. She retired and moved to Nova Scotia decades ago. I don't know if she's still there.

bassordrum? and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.