What ever became of David Palmer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

With a couple of Steely Dan threads in the main forum, I figured there'd be room for one more.

David Palmer was a member of Steely Dan for only one album (Can't Buy A thrill). He did the lead vocal on "Dirty Work" and "Brooklynn". What did he do after he left/was fired? Did he go on to record with anyone else, and where is he today?

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Good question.

Anyone know?

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I did a Google and came up with Zip, nada....of course I got 10000 hits on that name.

mud-

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Re: David Palmer

I thought Martin Sheen was the Prez?

mud-:D

5. Mike

Mike New Member

Google Master

I found an interview from 1/97. With this info you can search for more if you want to update.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/caroleking/palmerqa.htm

BD: What other projects have you been working on since the 70s?

Since the '70s I've written songs for The Pointer Sisters , The Neville Brothers, Randy Travis , Laura Branigan , various other artists , T.V. and movies. I'm still very much involved with "the business". I work a lot with a producer and writer out here : Steve Tyrell. I spent two months in Europe this past year traveling with an artist Steve produces and manages named Jamie Walters. Jamie played the "bad boy - musician" on "Beverly Hills 90210" and had a very successful CD out here and in Europe.

I have a home studio these days which enables me to record my own demos and send them to other artists.

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I thought you were talking about Jethro Tull's string arranger.

7. stever

stever Senior Member

Yea, I was listening to the remaster of, "Songs From the Wood," last night, and wondered, too, if it was the same David Palmer.

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

9. Matt

Matt New Member

In all the reviews I've read of the first Dan album, Palmer always gets trashed to an unfair degree. He only did two songs, and people usually complain how the whole thing is marred by his vocals. Furthermore, he did one of the best tracks, "Dirty Work." Yeah, he does oversing a bit, but c'mon...

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I thought you meant David Powell, a poster here on the Forum!

As for the Steely Dan singer, who knows? Disappeared off the face of the earth.

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: Google Master

That's a great link, thanks Mike!

My favorite part of the interview:

Interviewer: Why did you leave Steely Dan?

DP: There were two reasons for me leaving the Dan: first...I was asked to. Second...when you have a singer as great as Donald Fagan was and is, you don't need another lead singer in the band. I'll always be grateful to Donald and Walter for giving me a break and also for their musical integrity...the word "genius" is bandied about a lot in pop music but those two are the genuine article...

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Didn't he go on to form Big Wha-Koo?

13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Doh!

Should have noticed the link....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.