What factors contributed to the drastic pivot of popular music after 1979.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hypockets, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yeah, there was a few shallow years from 86-88 but by the early to mid 90s there was a lot of good music to hear. As I say I switched out of new music some time in the last 10-15 years for the most part, unless it was an artist I already liked, but that just comes with age. I shouldn't neccessarily like what the young kids are liking, same as my parents didn't share my music taste for the most part.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

uzn007 and Mbe like this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I don't see a drastic pivot, more evolution of changing tastes and new musical ideas.

Mbe likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes but in every instance was there a good tune to go with the good clip?

Old Rusty likes this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Unless you count Blondie, I don't think I ever heard a rap song until the mid or late 1980's. Actually, I don't remember anything before The Fat Boys' Crushin', but I may have just forgotten.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I used to watch Duran Duran videos with the volume off. I've came around to them, somewhat. Still hate The Reflex, though.

7. Can't say as to what constitutes 'good'. Again, a matter of opinion. For example: VMA 1984 - MTV Video Music Awards - MTV

8. hypockets

hypockets Forum Resident Thread Starter

I un
    I consider "Don't Stop..." and "No More Tears" as (generally accepted as) disco songs. And there were still a lot of other disco songs that were hits that did not reach number one.

9. hypockets

Same phenomenon happened with movies during that same timeframe, I think.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Yes, definitely, and on a smaller scale with comic books, and probably other media as well.

11. hypockets

Oh, you are so "too cool for school".

12. hypockets

I dropped out of new music about 20 years ago. I hear a lot people state that they dropped out of new music in the late nineties.

mozz and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

In 1970 I heard Gil Scott Heron do "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised". It was brilliant and got a lot of airplay. I had hoped that was where Rap would go but it didn't turn out that way.

14. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I think anyone feeling an energy drag after 1979 may be projecting.

notesfrom likes this.
  15. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Being a poor college student probably saved my life.

16. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

I had just about stopped listening to top-40 radio by 1980. The more Disco there was, the less I listened. When the Bee Gees went Disco, I lost total interest in them. I can appreciate the sociological value of Disco, Rap, Hip-hop, but I don't want to listen to them. I'm just not that interested in dance music, and music where rhythm is more important than melody. I have pretty eclectic musical tastes, across many eras and genres, but there are limits to what I can get interested in. I like poetry, but Rap nearly always sounds like doggerel to me. Rhyming feels like a backwards move in literature. Rap/Hip-hop isn't made for me, though I have no ill will for those who like it. Even I think the Hamilton show was cool, but it has songs, not just Hip-hoppish stuff in it.

Punk and New Wave I never got. I didn't want to be a punk, or sound like a punk. I was never clear which wave was the old wave.

From 1980s on my listening more and more moved to acoustic musicians and groups I got to hear in person. Most of whom are not famous. Also, I deepened my interest in various historical music. On the car radio, I listened to classical or jazz or folk if I could pull in those kinds of stations, or listened to cassettes of dubbed from favorite albums.

mozz and lazydawg58 like this.
  17. Sums it up perfectly.

uzn007 and Colocally like this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

In the Styx Behind the Music Tommy and JY said they called the radio promo men penguins because of all the snow.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The crap that currently infests the top 40 owes a hell of a lot more to Disco than Punk.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I can't even imagine anyone claiming to like "rock and roll" not liking AC/DC. They're pretty much Chuck Berry on amphetamines.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

I suspect that one's musical taste is formed in one's teens. My taste has evolved and expanded over the decades but there is still am immutable core. Which is to say I'm not above still listening to "Louie, Louie". Different generations have different core staring points and find it hard to relate to the music of previous generations. Anyway, its music so its all good.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I would say that it was the slow Japanification of youth interest. I firmly believe that Atari and Nintendo play an essential role in stripping pop music of its cultural dominance. Those gaming systems inevitably led to anime in place of cartoon, manga in place of comic books, Pokemon in place of Dungeons & Dragons and all of these exports laid waste to American/British styles of music. My high school students are obsessed with Japanese commercial culture - it is seen in their drawings, their storytelling and their style. While the cultural shift doesn't overly bother me, the lack of conversations about it does. If you're a parent or a teacher, the things that your children or students most love, and spend the most time thinking about are not American/British. This has changed how dominant music is in our society - this is a fascinating topic, and one which is nearly never discussed.

mozz and 2141 like this.
  23. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I also think politics played a part in the musical zeitgeist of the time. Remember this is right when the "Reagan Revolution" of the 80s began. It also coincided with punk gaining real traction, which was a direct affront to the hippie ethic of the 60s and 70s. Change was in the air and music changed too.

altaeria and illinoisteve like this.
  24. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

I don't like Chuck Berry either. Can barely tolerate Elvis Presley. No to James Brown. I guess R&R is not my cup of tea.

25. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

What's he saying - that 1979 was the last decent year in music? :laugh:

Colocally likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.