What failed series from the 50s, 60s and 70s would you like to see again?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Nov 17, 2021.

1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

2. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

He and She the 1967-68 Richard Benjamin - Paula Prentiss sitcom (with Jack Cassidy and Kenneth Mars) about "a cartoonist who must deal with a lead actor when his creation becomes a television show." Only 26 episodes and never released on DVD. I see there are a couple of episodes on youtube though.
    [​IMG]

3. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Obvious bootleg - considering how many of them there have been, you'd think it was worth somebody's while to give it a real release.

unclefred likes this.
  4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought an off-air recorded set a number of years ago from British TV that looked great. Can't say the same for the stories unfortunately.

5. James Slattery

Great show. I have a set of them which is a combination of 16mm film transfers and off-air recordings from Canada and USA Network.

6. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

That's Life, 1968

JohnO likes this.
  7. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

The Second Hundred Years

Monte Markham plays woodsman somehow transplanted from the 1800s to the 1960s. His son is now older than him, by a lot.

I thought it was a good show, as a kid anyway. No idea how it would stand up today. It's been 60 years since I've seen it myself.

8. parman

parman Music Junkie

There was a show called something like THE Cat that I liked but don't remember anything about. It was on about the time of Man From UNCLE

phillyal1, rockclassics and barryalan like this.
  9. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

parman likes this.
  10. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

There were three anthologies that I think sound intersting.
    channing 1963- it was anthology show set at a private college.
    what really happened to the class of 1965?-1977. it was an anthology series centered around the stories of graduates from brett harte high school.
    bob hope presents the chrysler theatre -1963 -1967. I never saw this one in syndication. what is interesting about the show is it covers many genres. one week there could be a serious melodrama and two weeks later there will be a light comedy.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

With William Windom! Loved that show.

My wife would very much like to see the show The New People from 1969. The show was 45 minutes in length, which probably impacted its ability to be syndicated, of course coupled with the fact that there are only 17 episodes before it was canceled.

Manapua likes this.
  12. James Slattery

I watched a few at UCLA. Terrible show. I've had the pilot episode for around 30 years but that's the only one that I ever saw a 16mm print of.

13. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

That was based on the book w/the same title that came out in 1975 about a high school class in Southern California that was originally profiled in Time Magazine in 1965. The football QB, who wasn't in the book, was actually Russell Mael of Sparks.

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Nichols. But as it wouldn't have Garner, don't bother

15. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Time Tunnel

4_everyman and HGN2001 like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks. I watched it with my wife...it did not age well.

Hooperfan likes this.
  18. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Could Aaron Spelling have been anymore counter-culture with The New People?

Also, it looks like an early version of Lost.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The first dragnet.. it seems gone

20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Go Girl with Luan Peters. There used to be an episode on Youtube but it was taken down. Music was superb.

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I remember watching those moments when broadcast, how great to see them again, thanks!

Hooperfan likes this.
  22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The Paley Center for Media in New York or Beverly Hills might have them, but you would need to view in person at those locations.

In L..A I’ve been to many of their live events bringing together the casts and creative personnel behind a series. They do the Paleyfest each year, always a good time, and now viewable online. One of my favorites was in 2002 for Dark Shadows with the entire living cast except for Jonathan Frid who played Vampire Barnabas Collins. It was notable as the very first event for the show that Alexandra Moltke (Victoria Winters) participated in.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  23. James Slattery

Luan Peters was so beautiful and a good singer as well. AFAIK, they only made one episode of that show.

24. James Slattery

Great series. One of many that NBC bailed on in the 70s before it had a chance to build an audience.

25. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

LOL @ The New People. I don’t know what’s funnier - the acting from the kids, the look on Richard Kiley’s face in his final scene, or the completely incongruous theme song at the end.