What happened to AmazonUS Autorip?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Bill007, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In addition to recent lack of song samples i don’t see Autorip available on several recent classic rock cds. Have they stopped it permanently? It is also still not clear as of today, even if it was still available, how you know in advance on a pre-order of a cd, if you will get it. Does anyone know what’s going on with either change (and yes I get the jokes about Amazon, but Autorip was a nice feature and ability to sample songs too)?

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Just checked-
    Had a couple recently I bought that came with it.
    Amazon Music--->Open Web Player. It will give a history of all your auto-rips and options to download if you want.

ScramMan2 and Electric Sydney like this.
  3. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Every time I purchase an album from Amz that has an autorip I always get an email with a link to claim my download. However, DO NOT download the digital files *until* you've received the actual album and confirm that you won't be returning it. Once you download the digitals you *cannot* return the physical album for a refund.

4. Mossmind

Mossmind Well-Known Member

That’s a great point. Some of us have had to learn that the hard way!

5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Why would I want a refund, though? I've gotten autorip with vinyl purchases, used it asap, and was able to replace defective vinyl.
    I can't think of a case where I'd just want my money back.

6. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

I have also noticed the lack of song samples - does anyone know why they removed those as well?

7. Bill007

As just an example of the lack of both autorip and ( I believe) no samples either I am pointing to the 2 new cd sets that were released today -Goats Head Soup 2 cd deluxe edition, and the new Fleetwood Mac box set.

John Porcellino likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I tend to think Auto-Rip along with digital download codes are just marketing freebies. I don't take them for granted. You aren't really paying for them. They are enticements to get bring you into to their ecosystem. In the case of digital download codes, this was a way of adding some value to vinyl which isn't easily ripped to digital without some additional investment of gear and software. I first remember digital downloads included with vinyl when iTunes became a thing. You could buy the album off iTunes or buy the vinyl album and it included the mp3 files, so the extra cost of the physical media would be offset by the inclusion of the price you would pay had you bought the download alone. It was the indie labels that included these download first. This gave them a competitive advantage over the Major labels who weren't even selling much vinyl in the early '00s. Buying an indie record gave you some value. When the Majors reentered vinyl, they matched the mp3 to remove the indie labels advantage. Shortly after, Amazon added Auto-rip. They kind of went crazy, in fact. Auto-rip was retroactive. When the program first started, I had about 50 albums in My Albums from Amazon. Anything I bought previously was added to mp3 downloadable cache at Amazon. It wasn't just vinyl. I had SACDs, too. I don't often use my Auto-rip catalog. I use it mostly when I'm traveling. I can stream albums from my car if I want to. So, it's nice. But I also know that with my Prime membership I get access to a lot of other albums that I don't own. I can't download these, but I can stream them. I use the same app either on my phone or my computer to access these songs. I can search for a song or an album and it'll be presented. If it's unavailable, I'm quickly reminded that I can upgrade to an Unlimited subscription or I buy the album as an mp3 to add to my Auto-rip collection. It's all marketing. To get to your free stuff, you are further exposed to the marketing whims of Amazon. You have to enter their marketplace to access what you already have. You're trapped (well ensnared is probably a better term since baiting is involved). So, the fact that a particular album doesn't include Auto-rip doesn't annoy me one bit. Big deal, I didn't get the free thing. I know all Amazon want to do is actually sell me things. This is what they do. Before you buying than on their website, they make offers to repurchase items you already own, or maybe something related to those things in your cart. This is what Amazon does. I fully understand that. And I don't doubt that Amazon is purely messing with it's customers. The fact that this thread exist proves it. People feel entitled to an Auto-rip and they feel deprived when they don't get it. But Auto-rip is a just another carrot dangle out by Amazon. Well, you don't get the free download or today streaming. But if you want it, it's just a click away and their happy to sell it to you or maybe you want to become an Unlimited subscriber, that's available too. Don't be fooled, Auto-rip isn't offered out of Jeff Bezos' benevolence. It's offered because they want sell you something.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  9. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Sorry to see this feature go. It was the main reason I would purchase music from Amazon instead of other online retailers.

10. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I Pre-ordered the TEARS FOR FEARS-"SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE" Super deluxe box and recieved the original album within minutes of pre-ordering in my Amazon music "purchased"....wishing it were all the disc's of course.

Bill007 likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You can still get a refund for the physical product, but often Amazon will charge you for the download version.

seaisletim likes this.
  12. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I think it's cool & hope it's still available.
    Last album I got that way was maybe three moths ago.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It was still working in August. Got an autorip of McCartney's Flaming Pie reissue, and a couple of other things. But it has never been uniformly applicable to all purchases; some things are offered as autorips, others are not.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  14. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i just got auto rip of 3 brand new albums that came out last friday.
    and then got it for something else a week before that.

but a few weeks ago i did notice that it wasn't listed with albums that had previously listed.
    now i am seeing some of them have it listed again.

i spoke with an amazon rep about it and they said that they were working with record labels and stuff
    on the rights and whatnot in being able to still use and provide auto rip, so some changes have been going
    on recently, but it's not fully gone on all options.

Bill007 and John Porcellino like this.
  15. It is a courtesy given to you by Amazon. Sometimes there is a delay with brand new product being available, and sometimes the label forbids it period.

Lost In The Flood and c-eling like this.
  16. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

I would use Autorip if I just couldn't wait for the delivery and wanted to listen asap. Otherwise I'd wait and rip the CD to Vorbis or FLAC formats. I prefer open source formats anyway.

17. Bill007

Are u sure this wasn’t already available as a free digital download for prime members prior to pre-ordering of the box set?

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

It was offered as part of the pre-order of the duper deluxe edition....its not on offer now I see....anyway I wasn't billed for it as far as I can see.when I pre-ordered the big BOBBIE GENTRY box set i recieved the entire contents of that set in my amazon music "purchased" list.i am not that tech savvy so it being added automatically is convenient.

19. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

It looks like Autorips are showing back up for some albums. However, I noticed that I never received the mp3s for the Kinks Lola Deluxe Set I purchased back at release. In the past when you ordered a Prime CD without Autorip, if the Autorip later became available for it, Amazon automatically provided the mp3s upon availablility. I spoke with a customer service rep who stated that this was no longer their policy. If the record does not feature Autorip at the time of your purchase you'll no longer receive them if Autorip is added later to the release.

In the past if I noticed this I could contact Amazon and they would add the mp3s to my library. No longer.

Bill007 likes this.
  20. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

If an Autorip is available I'm more likely to buy the vinyl version of an album - especially as download cards are becoming rarer or in many cases expiring soon after release.
    I just bought 2 Dream Syndicate LPs that came with Autorip -I'll listen to them in the truck before the albums arrive.

John Porcellino likes this.
  21. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Amazon makes me crazy sometimes.
    Their customer service chat is SO ****ING ****TY. Whenever I mention seeing AutoRip and then time going by and not seeing it they ask for a screenshot.
    I did have in the spring of 2019 where I ordered the 2 CD version of The Who Hits 50 (2014) and it didn't have AutoRip. Time went by and it got added into my amazon music - they must have changed it briefly where there WAS AutoRip or something happened (either way I was happy to have a free digital copy).
    To have it ONLY on a Vinyl version and not CD is the other stupid thing they do.

Bill007 likes this.
  22. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

You can still find the 30 second samples if you click on the streaming or mp3 purchase options.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  23. Bill007

You can only do that on the desktop version not mobile app.

24. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Got some Autorip MP3s yesterday, came with these cds I bought:
    Steve Miller Band - Sailor
    Neil Young - After the Gold Rush 2009 remaster
    Jimi Hendrix Experience -
    Jimi Plays Monterey
    Live At Woodstock (bought the single disc and got the Autorip of two disc set!)
    Of course they never mention Autorip under the picture of the album cover now.

Bill007 likes this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i've actually been noticing a lot more titles having the Auto Rip feature, and they are showing on the page, easily to read when i'm looking now.

Bill007 likes this.