What happened to Blu-ray Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by floyd, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Of course it is. I might not be mandated by the BluRay standard, but it is definitely required to be compliant with any sort of modern video transmission. And since there is no such thing as a BluRay player without video, I would be truly shocked to learn that any component BluRay players lack HDMI outputs. So I challenge you to show even a single example of a discrete BluRay player which does not have HDMI outputs.

McLover likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Blu-Ray is not a audio format for audiophiles. Especially those who do Stereo, have equipment
    To get RCA out, you have to buy a older or high end player to get that. Most commonly available Blu-Ray players today are HDMI OUT ONLY! NO RCA or Component Out available until you get into higher end models. You're partly right.

3. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

You're changing the meaning of what you wrote.
    What I am saying is that you do not need to hook up anything on the HDMI output.
    You can use bd-audio without any screen or HDMI hookups, just like a CD player.

Soundslave and PhilBiker like this.
  4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I listen to Blu Ray Audio in stereo only.

Daedalus, apesfan and Vinny123 like this.
  5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Unfortunately this post does not make sense and should be considered to be silly trolling. Blu Ray audio works perfectly well with RCA analog cables.

Daedalus and scobb like this.
  6. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I was an early adopter of all these disc formats. It would have been great if the media companies had really supported any one of them. Hybrid SACD, it seems to me, would have been a natural, w no video needed. DVDA would have been great given all the video players bought since the format’s introduction. Now Blu-ray could be a contender, but I really hate to say it but I don’t think the general public really cares about superior audio quality. I know many people who love music but not one of them has any interest in any type of hi rez. That said, I love all my discs, SACD, DVDA, and Blu-ray audio. For the most part, they all sound terrific. I just wish there was more music available on those formats, but I don’t see that happening.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    therockman likes this.
  7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

How right you are! I had thought the Grace Jones Blu ray audio discs gave a DSD option, however, loading one it is 2.0 DTS-HD MA what ever that is! I blame my dyslexia ;)

8. TarnishedEars

Perhaps I am not communicating very clearly today. If so, then I would like to apologize for my lack of clarity. However I was not trolling.

I said nothing about needing to use HDMI outputs to listen to the audio from a bluray player. I was merely attempting to point out that there is no such thing as a bluray player which lacks HDMI outputs. This was in no way meant to imply that HDMI was the only outputs from a bluray player.

LivingForever and therockman like this.
  9. TarnishedEars

My apologies for misunderstanding the meaning your post. I don't disagree with any of this.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yet seemingly everybody is buying-into the current "vinyls are the new hi-def" ethos. Whether this is a valid trend or not...how does this not carry over into all those video players already setting on the shelves in their family rooms? :confused:

Vinny123 likes this.
  11. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Good question. For whatever it’s worth, I think, for some reason, vinyl is seen as cool, retro, or hipster-like. I don’t believe non audiophiles are thinking about sound quality when they buy an inexpensive turntable.

soundboy and scobb like this.
  12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, you are right about that. Even my Oppo 205 has HDMI outputs, even though I use RCA analog cables. I have been into Blu Ray Audio for several years since I first bought my Oppo 83 Special Edition. I prefer RCA connections but HDMI is a viable alternative.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Define "serious production".

With a little over 2 weeks left in 2018, it is possible that there will be over 750 new SACD released worldwide this year. The number is kind of staggering given that the niche format is approaching its 20th anniversary in a few month and 2 prominent SACD supporters disappeared this year (Oppo and Marantz with its 800x series).

There are currently 3 SACD production facilities in operation: Germany (Arvato), Austria and Japan (Sony).

14. TarnishedEars

Everything you say is true. However, AF vanished as an SACD manufacturer this year, and both AP and MoFi have reduced their new SACD releases down to where it is barely even a trickle anymore. So unless all that you care about is classical, the SACD format is not looking nearly as healthy as it was even just a year ago.

Vinny123 and soundboy like this.
  15. For me BD-Audio is fine, I only have a bunch of them like Guns'N'Roses' Appetite For Destruction, Rush Moving Pictures (my favourite one because of the 5.1 channel, the stereo 96/24 track is an upsample as it was tracked to analog and mixed down to digital of the early 80's), Eagles Hotel California which I prefer to the Japanese SACD which I think is sourced from the same Hi Res PCM masters as the DVD-Audio and BD-Audio but converted to DSD which adds an additional conversion stage that sure adds distorsion, and my latest aquisition and jewel, this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holst-Plan...1544837138&sr=1-15&keywords=the+planets+holst[​IMG]
    It sound is OUTSTANDING.

PhilBiker, andrewskyDE and IronWaffle like this.
  16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Compared to bluray...but hey I stand corrected. Point taken.

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Sony didn’t help by keeping the SACD technology proprietary.

18. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

No they didn’t.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Had nothing to do with it. Sony helped subsidize SACD releases for any label that wanted to offer it. DVD-A failed a lot faster but all optical formats (and private property of media in general) face an uphill battle with the onslaught of streaming services.

20. Tartifless

is there a bd-audio of GnR Appetite ?

21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yeah it is on that overpriced box set saddled with the vinyl and swag!

22. Tartifless

I guess it's a normal bluray not an actual bd-audio

23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Same difference. The key is high rez sound.

Still if I had it I would rip off the menus and just play it straight.

24. It's a Blu ray Audio with 2 or 3music videos but to listen to the album and change between stereo or 5.1 mix you don't need to have a T.V. on.

25. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Sure, it is, even in stereo.
    Yes. Don't buy cheap stuff is you want quality. Better yet. Just rip the disc and play the files on whatever is your equipment of choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.