What happened to Blu-ray Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by floyd, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Recent Steven Wilson titles were released on Blu-ray Audio on release dates (I believe).

JediJoker, chrischerm and Tim 2 like this.
  2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Almost all the SACDs I buy/download are the original and only release so, by default, they are all the album's initial release.

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The Rolling Stones From The Vault series is released in both CD/BRD & CD/DVD.

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Lets hope that keeps up.

JediJoker and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  5. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Okay, so how does one extract the audio files off of the BluRay disc to FLAC files?

6. I did it once, I remember I first ripped the BD with DVDFab and then used Audio Muxer, and then never did it again. There must be easier ways to do it, this was over 2 years ago.

JediJoker, cement_head and bru87tr like this.
  7. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

One can pay a legal ripping service to extract the files.

8. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Yes the format is dying or dead just like all other physical digital media. There are other more efficient methods to transfer digital files.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Rip the Blu-ray via MakeMKV, then load the MKV files to Audiomuxer, select audio channel and extract in 'chapters' (which will result the individual tracks).
    The output usually is WAV but Audiomuxer also can convert the files to FLAC.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Sevoflurane and JediJoker like this.
  10. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Can you recommend one?

11. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

check out goldeneardigital.com

Ari has extracted files from my SACDs, DVD-As (2.0 and 5.1) at a reasonable cost the past two years. Great guy, knows his stuff, does a fine job.

I have no interest in his business except to hope he stays in business.

I have seen the instructions for DIY and find the process one I do not wish to learn, even though I have an Oppo that supposedly will make it happen. I don't do plumbing, either.

12. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

If you already have a Blu-ray drive in/attached to your computer, no need to pay someone else. If not, you might want to weigh the one-time cost of a plug-and-play solution versus the ongoing labor costs of a service. The ripping process is fairly simple:
    Or, backup the disc with MakeMKV ($50, or free with extra steps) and then load the backup into DVD Audio Extractor ($38.50), select your desired audio program(s) and output format, and enjoy.

andrewskyDE and marcb like this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is what I’ve been doing for some time now. Works fine for almost all discs.

JediJoker likes this.
  14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have been using MAKEMKV, but I do not know how to pay for it. How do I pay for it?

15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

If you try to register without a key I think you get a link to pay for it. I haven’t used it for a while, but I think it is still in beta, so you can get a temporary key with a bit of Googling.

MakeMKV hasn’t let me down so far when it comes to Blu Ray ripping.

JediJoker and marcb like this.
  16. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

You can buy it here. My apologies for the broken link in my previous post.
    This post is updated periodically (every two months?) with the latest working key by the development team, while the software remains in beta (will it ever get a "stable" release?). Paying $50 gets you a key that works in perpetuity—for now, at least—plus the smug satisfaction of supporting good software.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve been using the updated beta keys for maybe 4 or 5 yrs now...maybe more.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Surprised no-one mentioned DVD Audio Extractor as it will also rip Blu-ray in addition to DVD. A bit more straightforward than MakeMKV if audio tracks are your end goal.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

I also use DVD Audio Extractor and have found it to be very good, but also need AnyDVD to crack the copy protect on Blu-ray Audio discs. I have the old version of AnyDVD that doesn't work for recent discs. I've already had a free trial and my credit card company refuses to make payment to Red Fox for the latest version. Also it seemed a lot of money to pay for just one or two discs.

I found a workaround using free trial of alternative software. Unfortunately, I can't remember it's name. I'll post it when I get home, if it's not already been mentioned.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If nobody has mentioned it, it’s because it’s incorrect.

BD-A’s need to be decrypted - and DVD Audio Extractor doesn’t decrypt BD-A’s. You need to decrypt (with something like MakeMKV) before ripping the decrypted files with DVD-AE.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. Newton John

The programme was DVDFab. It worked, but I didn't like as much as DVD Audio Extractor

22. Newton John

What Norliss said was correct. He just neglected to mention the need to use another program to remove copy protection, as I stated in the previous post.

norliss likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually it was still incorrect. It was mentioned twice - including by me - just a few posts above his.

Bottom line - you can’t rip BD-A’s with just DVD-AE alone.

JediJoker likes this.
  24. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I did neglect to mention the requirement for AnyDVD (or some other decryption)....

25. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Apologies - I'd been away from this forum for quite some time and catching up on some of the threads has inevitably meant quick-scan reading and/or not reading every single post...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.