What happened to drummer Eddie Hoh?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jdmack, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendude

Kendude Member

Okay, I got it, Buddy. I know exactly what you're saying. Again, I'll ask him if he knows what track is who's. He's pretty amazing; he tells me he can't remember stuff because it was so long ago, but so far, he remembers everybody, and sometimes even what he ate on a given day. So he just may be able to answer your question. Most of all what I've learned about Eddie is he's just the nicest, most humble guy!!

WayOutWardell and BadJack like this.
  2. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Man, I want to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th this. To me it's a borderline tragedy that those guys didn't get more stuff out as a full-on electric band. The Don't You Wonder/I Had a Dream Last Night single (which I suspect is mostly Chip Douglas - can this be confirmed?) and Nighttime Girl are fantastic things. As is the clip of them doing Come On In on Shindig. Did they record that as well? Maybe Eddie can answer.

Jerry Yester apparently plays every weekend in the Eureka Springs AR area. A friend of mine lives there and says he's great, and a cool dude too. Need to make a trip down there sometime soon.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    cwitt1980 and WayOutWardell like this.
  3. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

Complete agreement! And how wrong is it that 'This Could Be The Night' was relegated to The Big TNT Show theme yet 1) MFQ wasn't in the movie itself and 2) the song wasn't released as a single??

agundy and cwitt1980 like this.
  4. Parlophony

Parlophony Forum Resident

YOU ARE SO AWESOME FOR DOING THIS!!!! Please convey to Eddie that I in no way was trying to rip on Micky's drumming--I actually love love love Micky's drumming (hence my profile pic). He's one of my favorite drummers because of his enthusiasm and unique style. One listen to Live 1967 or Japan 68 is enough to see that--I figured that Eddie overdubbed bits on top of Micky's (Very solid) drumming to spice up the track, in the same way one would add shaker or tambourine or something--Hell, Ringo did plenty of double drumming with Jim Keltner, and they were both awesome in different ways.

Please tell Eddie how much I respect his drumming on those records--I am curious as to what kind of kit he had--did he use a five piece kit, or a four piece, cymbals, maybe if he recalls how they mic'd his drums--they sound SO GOOD. His toms sounded AMAZING. I would love to get my copy of Pisces signed by him if he were willing to do so--it would be a real honor.

And as I pointed out in a previous post, that break on Salesman is the best ever. I copy it exact when I play in my Monkees cover band :)

Thank you again for asking him all those questions and posting them here--Very kind of you and him to do that for us!!

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Thank you. I completely get what you are saying. Heck, I'm not real comfortable around strangers myself. My main concern is getting the thing lost in the mail or something. I am not terribly far from Addison (about a half hour) but I'm not sure if Friday works for me. But we'll figure something out, I guess. I really appreciate it.

6. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Kendude, thanks for conveying our good tidings and good feelings to Eddie. I wish him well - and, like others, wish more than the cognoscenti were aware of him. The good news is that his contributions to PAC&J stood the test of time and are there, ripe for new discovery very time someone hears the album for the first time. I hope it makes him feel good to know that Pleasant Valley Sunday and Daydream Believer are played dozens (hundreds?) of times every day worldwide. The deep cuts and unreleased tracks he did with Michael (Carlisle Wheeling v1, Auntie's Municipal Court, Writing Wrongs, My Share of the Sidewalk, While I Cry) exhibit not only pure chops but finesse and feel for the material.

Parlophony and WayOutWardell like this.
  7. bonzoleum

bonzoleum Member

Kendude, can you post a pic of him? It's been so long since I've seen him!

jayjay331 likes this.
  8. Kendude

Kendude Member

bonzoleum, I have a selfie Eddie and I took at Christmas, but I haven't been able to upload it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's not uploading. I'm asking Eddie if I can make a facebook for him tonight, and if so, I can put pics there.

jayjay331 likes this.
  9. Kendude

Kendude Member

Eddie says, it was nice of you to say all that. The set you are asking about was a 5 piece Rogers.

Parlophony and cwitt1980 like this.
  10. Parlophony

Thank you so much , Kendude! His toms sounded so good on those recordings--It's so cool that you are conveying our messages to him!!

11. Kendude

Kendude Member

Varispeed, Okay, I have to admit your question had Eddie and me befuddled for awhile there, and that's partly why he hadn't answered it yet, however it was always on the docket. We think we have the answer, and I'll admit we had a bit of a laugh, thinking we were going to look like a couple of idiots, by answering the wrong thing to your question. But here is what Eddie thinks the answer is. When he walked into a session, there was nothing scripted for him. He says he played by ear, and by the music that had been written. What he did was, he took a look at the chords and from there could get an idea of where the song was going to be going. From there, he played by ear and made it up as he went along. Nobody steered him. I think giving how creative he was, this is quite amazing to hear. I asked him how much practice he got on a song with a group in a session and he looked me square in the eyes and said, "None. We didn't have time for practicing, there were a lot of tracks to lay down and time is money, in the music industry." Practice... NONE. The most incredible thing he's told me, yet. He said he doesn't know too much about songs that had been tracked multiple times. His job was to come in and lay some tracks and move on to the next; we wasn't in on any decisions to replace or blend one track with another. Eddie said, he went in and played, had a great time and then moved on to the next job.

I sincerely hope this is the answer to your question.
    Ken

12. Kendude

Kendude Member

So everybody knows, I'm going to be making a facebook fan page for Eddie. He gave me the okay, tonight and I think its because he loves hearing from all of you. I'm hoping this gets his name out to more fans and I can help more people be aware of who Eddie is and the talent he contributed in his time of fame.

13. varispeed

varispeed what if?

So cool! Thanks for asking him. I wish he were still playing. I'd be begging him to play on some of my stuff.

14. Parlophony

That's great news! Please let us know when you get it up and running! I will be sure to share on my pages!!

15. WayOutWardell

Awesome. And it makes sense, too, given how tight the schedule was for filming, recording, appearances, etc. Pisces is their fourth album in 13 months' time!

16. Kendude

Kendude Member

jayjay331, jdmack, JuanTCB and 4 others like this.
  17. WayOutWardell

Mister Charlie and Parlophony like this.
  18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I can confirm Eddie was in a Drug rehab facility in late Summer 1971 in Northern Illinois as that's where I met him doing some volunteer work there that year. I sat with him about three times over the course of visiting and was always astounded that he was there but I guess the whole scene did a number on Mr. Hoh.

I'm glad to hear he's still alive and kicking.

19. Parlophony

I just shared the link on my personal Facebook page as well as my band page. Awesome!!!!!

20. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Just liked the Facebook page.

21. Kendude

Kendude Member

Chico, I'm looking for you, to get you in contact with Eddie Hoh.

22. Kendude

Kendude Member

Thanks for "Liking" Eddie's fb page, everybody! As with the forum, he'll see it weekly, on visits. I'll work on getting new (Current) photos published.

jayjay331 likes this.
  23. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but like many others here...I'm a BIG fan. Glad to hear he's alive, kicking, and enjoying all the love we're sending him.

And just add my name to the list of the other drummers here that was influenced...and sometimes baffled (in a "how did he DO that??" way) by his playing.

Geez...I've been listening to Star Collector nigh on 40+ years now and I STILL can't conceptualize all that's going on in that drum part. Maybe Dolenz was also banging away with him, especially near the end? Great part. :)

24. Michael Kutilek

Michael Kutilek New Member

Eddie is quite alive and well and is living in West Chicago, IL as of January 2015. He has been helped out in recent years considerably by a old childhood friend who is a neighbor of my mother.

jayjay331, kevinsinnott and jdmack like this.
  25. Michael Kutilek

Michael Kutilek New Member

Eddie is quite alive and well and is living in a facility in West Chicago, IL as of January 2015. He has been helped out in recent years considerably by a old childhood friend who is a neighbour of my mother.

jayjay331 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.