What happened to drummer Eddie Hoh?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jdmack, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

What a fantastic turn this thread took! Glad to know Eddie's alive and well.

WayOutWardell likes this.
  3. Jahgust

Jahgust New Member

I would love to see him interviewed for Vintage Drummer magazine! Or an equivalant! He may not fully realize how inspirational his playing was and how it resonates. It it the reason I am a musician. PERIOD!

4. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

5. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

did anyone let Al Kooper know that Eddie is alive?

6. jayjay331

jayjay331 New Member

Eddie Hoh played drums on this Chicago recording.....the vocalists are the twins Ellen and Elaine from Chicago who were in several bands including The Neighborhood that charted with Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi"

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Mister Charlie likes this.
  7. jayjay331

jayjay331 New Member

https://www.facebook.com/fasteddiehoh/info?tab=page_info This is a link to Eddie Hoh's Official Facebook page...Several of his old music buddies post their thoughts and comments and apparently Eddie Hoh is able to see them through the admin who started the Facebook page for Eddie... by the way I am the one who posted the YouTube video of Eddie Hoh on The Creslyns single on the Beltone label "Boom-Chip-a-Boom" (written by songwriter Larry Nestor)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  8. Train

Train Active Member

Obviously late to the party here, but I've been thinking a lot about the Monkees lately. I'm pretty convinced that the main drum track (the one from the top of the song) is Dolenz, for a number of reasons: 1) "Door Into Summer" and "Cuddly Toy" were the first two Pisces tracks attempted in the studio, which would fit a narrative of those sessions starting out as a continuation of the Headquarters model, before Micky decides, for whatever reason, that he doesn't want to do the rest of the drum tracks. 2) That session was in May. They only return to the song three months later, finishing it in August. If we're presuming that Micky is indeed one of the drummers and that the second drum track was added in August, it seems really unlikely that they would have Micky add that part over an initial Eddie Hoe performance, especially given that he hadn't drummed on anything else all summer. But the biggest reason is simply 3) that whoever comes in at the second verse plays with a lot more authority than the first drummer -- he hits harder and gets a much better tone out of the snare, besides playing those very cool and subtle fills. That said, I agree with BadJack that this track represents Micky at the top of his game. It's really a very good performance. He's in a pocket from the start and makes the tune groove like nothing on Headquarters does. This and the live "Circle Sky" are two things he should be especially proud of.

BadJack and 905 like this.
  9. Tommy Barnes

Tommy Barnes New Member

Hey ya'll....Tommy Barnes here.....New member.
    I'm Eddie Hoh's cousin....
    We havent heard from him in years, and am surprised to learn that he was living back in the area.
    Today, on an FB group page, someone said that he may have passed away.
    Anyone have any info? The family would like to know for sure.
    Eddie was always "out there"...would show up every few years looking for a place to crash and/or score some cash....
    My Aunt gave him some scratch back in the 90s and we haven't seen him since.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you....Tommy. \m/ \m/

10. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Forum user Kendude has been in regular contact with him. Perhaps you could send him a private message here in case he misses this thread.

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

This thread was revived yesterday, and somebody edited EH's Wikipedia page to make Nov 7, 2015 his date of death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Hoh

(Cue "Twilight Zone theme", with overdubbed drum track...)

12. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

13. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I'm sorry about your cousin.

Eddie's sadly brief career will always be an influence. I hope he was able to find some happiness.

marmalade likes this.
  14. WayOutWardell

Heartbreaking.
    As BadJack said above, his short career has been and will continue to be an influence.

15. John Rey

John Rey Active Member

Copied from Where's That Sound Coming From?

"I'm very sorry to hear it and thank you for passing the sad news along. I hope Eddie knew the indelible mark he made on rock and roll with his inimitable drumming. I know I'll certainly forever love and be in awe of his playing. Rest in peace, Fast Eddie."

marmalade likes this.
  16. WayOutWardell

Lovely drumming by Eddie. Rest in peace.

17. John Rey

John Rey Active Member

May be a bit slow (E flat)? But Hoh is flawless.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  18. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Hey all, I missed this thread until today. Quite a read until the shock that Eddie died yesterday.
    Like you, I'm a fan and had the same thoughts and questions about Eddie's life, career, and whereabouts.
    Sorry to hear of his passing, but thanks to Kendude, Eddie got to know that his fans didn't forget him.
    That is a very special thing.
    Rest In Peace, Fast Eddie Hoh.

19. Parlophony

Parlophony Forum Resident

I'm very sorry to hear about Eddie Hoh's passing. A wonderful drummer, and certainly an influence for me as a drummer!

marmalade likes this.
  20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Bummer. I'm glad that he was found and that he learned his work was appreciated. RIP

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've long been a fan of this album and Super Session and very much appreciate Hoh's work. Sad to hear of his passing. Rest in peace.

22. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Me as well.

I'm still in shock. We just found him again! At least he died knowing he wasn't forgotten. It's still so sad... :cry:

Lost In The Flood and Parlophony like this.
  23. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

24. Les Gofishin

Les Gofishin Well-Known Member

25. WayOutWardell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.