What happened to Guy Ritchie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 11, 2014.

1. I doubt the Stones saw a dime of it -it all probably went to Abkco. Klein had a stranglehold on their music. I doubt it was all that much at the time compared to later decades--music licensing wasn't as big a moneymaker as it is now where they try and squeeze every dime from a project. The licensing issues/cost didn't really begin to be an issue until the 1990's as I recall.

Plinko and Ghostworld like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any appreciation for Revolver ?

Brenald79 and inperson like this.
  3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Never seen it. I did just watch King Arthur. Boy, is that a terrible movie. It actually showed some promise is a few spots, but it was 20 minutes of an idea stretched over two hours, and Ritchie clearly couldn't decide what tone he wanted to set.

John K.

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. alexpop

He's still working.
    Next movie is a musical "Aladdin" starring Will Smith. You heard it hear first. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Ghostworld likes this.
  5. alexpop

Who would have thought his street trader one note /grimace
    Jason Statham ( aka Turk) is probably doing better than Madonna's ex now.
    Beggars belief..indeed.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The Sherlock Holmes films are some of my favorites in recent years. They are preparing to make the third film, and if it is a quality film, it will be a great trilogy.

GeoffC likes this.
  7. alexpop

Rumored.
    But, inevitable.

Mind you there was a supposed follow to RoCKnRollA.

8. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Great film IMO, I liked Snatch, LSTSB & RocknRolla too oh and the Sherlock films.
    I do like Jason Stratham films, entertaining and not trying to be anything but. I did like his remake of the Mechanic.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

M2 was a bit iffy.

10. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Haven't seen it, so will take your word and after a quick search the low ratings on the web as well.

alexpop likes this.
  11. The only film I've seen that I actively hate by Richie is the remake of "Swept Away" (I'm not a fan of Lena Wermuller either) but even his weakest films have some memorable moments. Every director has moments where they lose their mojo and it seems accelerated compared to the 50's, 60's,70's. The creative period usually runs to the handful of first films. That Rush of creativity seems less restrained for most whereas once Richie became a bit more involved with mainstream Hollywood, there seemed to be some co promises made. If Richie had an actor like Rogert Downey Jr. Who supported his vision, it seemed less compromised.

12. alexpop

RD jr worked with him on two films.

13. Yes I know--my point was that the more power an actor had to help intervene the more likely things would go his way as far as full control. He has worked with other actors that have varying degrees of power to help him shape the film the way he wants.

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

I'd prefer a Guy Ritchie vehicle than a RD Jr film. Saying that GR last good one was Sherlock Holmes imo, but I prefer his London cockney movies.

15. alexpop

Next film he's going back to his London gangster roots ( about time )looks to be Sexy Beast meets Downton Abbey ..title
    Toff Guys.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    LEONPROFF and inperson like this.
  16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I love the scenes with Sorter. Him picking off those guys in the apartment building is so cool.

And in the restaurant. "Ch-check she's dead"

And in the backroom of the disco

alexpop likes this.
  17. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I liked it. The animation sequence was awesome.

18. alexpop

Animation: Tarantino homage?
    Aside, He's not worked with Jason Statham since, think the film was a bit of a flop. Another one I like of GR is Rock n Rolla..great cast.

Juan Matus likes this.
  19. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I thought I read somewhere that they both made the animation sequence around the same time not knowing the other was doing it.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Just hope it's nothing like the overrated Kingsman.

21. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Saw the trailer for that upcoming Robin Hood movie and thought it was a Ritchie film right up until they flashed the credits at the last second. It was so much in his style that it looked almost like a parody.

22. alexpop

King Arthur was alright as a medieval whatdoyoucallit, but I haven't liked anything he's done since Rocknrolla(2008).

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I liked that as well. Dance scene was awesome.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Butler needs to work with GR again, there was supposed to be a follow up...but Sherlock Holmes got in the way.

25. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I bet Guy is beyond embarrassed having Madonna's disastrous vanity project Swept Away on his list of credentials. What a comedown after Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.