What happened to musicians who stopped playing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pawelgra77, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

I have to doubt this one... Im pretty sure he doesnt need to do any work at all...

GodShifter and Shak Cohen like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I expect that Syd made some money from sales of A Nice Pair in the 70's, and then from the various reissues of Piper, Saucerful and Relics in the 80's and forward. My impression was that Syd's work with the Floyd was more widely appreciated in the CD age than before. Plus, Syd led a very simple lifestyle so he never had the temptation to blow through all his money like other retired and not-retired rock stars can sometimes do.

GodShifter, AlienRendel and jsayers like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's probably easier to be a painter after having been a famous musician. Grace Slick has exhibitions of her paintings because she's Grace Slick, if she were the high school art teacher she'd never get the attention.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Not to mention "Ummagumma."

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

He was gentleman, he didn't believe in "relationships," he always married 'em.

He had impeccable taste. I mean, here's just three amongst eight.

Ava Gardner

[​IMG]

Lana Turner

[​IMG]

Evelyn Keyes

[​IMG]

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Why anyone would want to buy a painting from the woman at least partially responsible for "We Built This City" remains one of the more perplexing mysteries of our times.

Fullbug, Dudley Morris and dkmonroe like this.
  7. Santiago Durango of Chicago guitar noiseniks Big Black became a criminal defense lawyer, and once represented Cynthia Plastercaster.
    John Kezdy of Chicago punk band the Effigies also became a law-talkin' guy and works for the Illinios Attorney General's office as a prosecutor.

I wonder if the two of them have ever gone up against each other.

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Plus he didn't have any bad habits that we know of, and probably got a pension from the gov't. I think his mother left him the house he lived in when she died. Didn't own a car....lived very frugally, like I do!

David Gilmour made sure Sid got songs on comps to get royalties as well. Good guy, that David.

9. Roger Taylor from Duran Duran did the same thing for almost 20 years, before leaving the glamourous life of the gentleman farmer to rejoin his bandmates in the '00s.

soundboy and DJ LX like this.
  10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I read a while back that he was a music teacher.

maxheadroom likes this.
  11. music4life

music4life Senior Member

John Rees, bassist for Men at Work became a school teacher in Melbourne
    Marilyn Martin (who sang "Separate Lives" with Phil Collins) is a realtor in Tennessee.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

To be fair, if my 7 year old did one of those I would definitely put it up on the fridge.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  13. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

Bowie (twice)

AlienRendel likes this.
  14. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Thought Mr Tripp became a dentist?

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Bill Withers

I don't know his bio, but he must have done a few things in the past 30 years. Anyhow, he might play again at the Hall of Fame induction.

16. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Don't know if these have been mentioned:

Barry Melton (lead guitar, Country Joe & The Fish) became a noted appellate lawyer in California.
    Norman Greenbaum had a successful restaurant or two in California (iirc, royalties from Spirit In The Sky eventually eclipsed his business interests in recent years)
    John DuCann (UK guitarist: The Attack/Andromeda/Atomic Rooster/Hard Stuff) had a greenhouse/conservatory building business

17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I seem to recall Syd's sister was appointed something akin to a guardian or trustee for his estate as well. So Syd could focus on playing his favorite board games, painting, and reading newspapers in the park / his back yard.

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

19. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

20. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Richard Butler of the Psychedelic Furs is also a painter.

21. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

So did Greg Norton of Husker Du.

coffeetime likes this.
  22. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

of course, Terminator X, the DJ in Public Enemy, quit the music biz and became an ostrich farmer....

yeah you read that right, and the thread can be closed now :p

Dudley Morris and richard a like this.
  23. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I was going to mention the rumour in the 1980s that Scott Walker had retired from music - he was quoted in an interview as saying he'd taken up painting. The interviewer asked to see some and Scott replied that he actually meant painting and decorating... but seeing as how much of what Scott Walker said in interviews back then can be taken with a large pinch of salt I'll just leave you to ponder on that one...

But anyway, bloody ostrich farming has just stomped all over anything we can come up with now! :D

24. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Beat me to it.

25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Syd was worth a couple of million at the time of his death.

dkmonroe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.