What happened to the sexual themes in rock music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I totally agree. This is where my emotional capital theory comes in. When one is young and amidst the brain/sex hormonal cocktail battle, life is more intense hence music heard under or associated with moments when we were in any of the related 'altered states' tends to get hardwired into our neural system and memory.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just saw notice of this CD - Sex in the 60's

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=VAR666122

Don't think I have Bob Crewe Generation version of the lead track, but the cd also has Jayne Mansfield, Barbara Feldon, Twiggy, and "Barbarella".

Sounds groovy!

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Now yer talkin'! The Phantom bellowing "EVERY muscle in mah body burrrrrnin' with deee-zi-i-i-re!" in his great one shot 45 Love Me on Dot Records - that's poolenty sizzling for me, especially considering it came out 45 years ago... :eek:

4. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

You might want to try Peaches' The Teaches Of Peaches for er.. 'sexual themes'. And it rocks, too.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Joe Turner said it all when he sang "I'm like a one-eyed jack peeking in a sea food store" :righton:

6. The Kid

The Kid Active Member

...and Robert Johnson was already having his lemon squeezed way back in 1936/37...:angel:

7. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

IMO, rock's most effective sexually-charged songs were done with a sense of humor. Everything from the Lemon Song to Stray Cat Blues to Paradise by the Dashboard Light to your favorite examples were done with a generous dose of double entendres, tongue in cheek, braggadocio, locker room humor and other grins. IMO, rock has largely lost its sense of humor and has become more angry. Angry songs about sex don't cut it. Rock would be much better off if it recaptured some of that humor and became less serious.

8. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Age of Consent?

How does one of my absolute all-time fave UK film directors
    get the blame? Oh yeah, I guess you meant that nepotistic
    appointee over at the F.C.C....

9. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Well, I guess because you liked it 30 years ago and you still like it. But I'm talking about new bands- do you really want new bands to sound like old bands? Then what's the point of having new bands? Might as well retire the whole genre of rock and listen to the old bands. Nothing wrong with that.

What if the lack of sex lyrics is a result of musicians growing up in an environment of greater respect and sensitivity towards women?

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Rock has "matured". Hip-hop is the brat on the radio now.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

would that that were true. there's no evidence of it, though. it's not as if the sexual content remained the same, but the approach were more mature and respectful.

seems like you guys are paying too much attention to your ears. the sex seems to have been diverted to the visual. the music's just a background for the video, which still has plenty of degrading sexist images (along with numerous shots of people showing off how rich they are. testosterone-driven sex is there, but it's not separated from showing off how powerful you are.)

heh. maybe the musicians have grown up in an environment of greater respect, but the video directors sure haven't.

12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Not when many women feel the same desires expressed in many of those songs, save for the demeaning ones that should be banned, first of all, by the artists themselves.

Oh, and 93curr, I totally agree with your point. :righton:

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I hardly ever listen to the radio, but I had it on a few weeks ago and heard a song called "Eat it While I Work" by Hagfish. Who says alternative rock can't be just as smirking and adolescent about sex as classic rock? The full lyrics here for anyone who wants elaboration:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/h/hagfish/stamp_crd.htm

melstapler likes this.
  14. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

I'll second the PC answer

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Good point.

16. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

oh yes. such an easy answer for everything too. it all can be blamed on PC.

you could try switching to mac os. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.