What happens to all the returned vinyl to Amazon?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by trackstar, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I remember when I managed a toy store some vendors were what were called "percentage vendors" and they would only charge the stores 98% of the items shipped, allowing 2% to be defective. The retailer then made a little extra profit or took a little extra loss depending on if their returns were over or under 2%.

Then some other vendors would send their reps out to physically examine the returns to determine their legitimacy and they would destroy the toys. I always hated to see the Mattel rep spray paint and mutilate little girls dolls before throwing them in the dumpster - because I knew some little girl would love to have the doll whether it was "perfect" or not. But their point of view was that they had to make sure it didn't get returned again after they've already given store credit once.

Then there were still other vendors who we had to send back all their defectives to the manufacturer and who knows what happened to those.

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The amount of good editable food and materials that goes into the dumpster at Costco is staggering...they could feed many hungry people with their damaged items and go backs. Sad really....sorry to go off topic but I worked there and daily saw food and merchandise go into the dumpster as multi-unit packaging couldn't be sold if one item in the package was damage. Maybe this has changed but I doubt it.

Dave Decadent likes this.
  3. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I was dumb and waited over 30 days to open up a vinyl record from Amazon. It's warped. Anyone know if/how I can still get a replacement?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I hope your system isn't to buy, open, return and then buy the warehouse deals version cheaper. Because Amazon definitely has a system to detect that, and they'll ban you for life when they decide they've had enough.

Their system is also smart enough to figure out if you have person A buy and return and person B rebuy as a warehouse deal repeatedly.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup, and all the a-holes who overbuy for the holidays and then return food as "defective". Costco can't put that stuff back on the shelves, so it all goes into the dumpster.

6. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Why not donate all that food to charity organizations, shelters of homeless people, etc? I'm sure a lot of hungry folks would be thankful.

7. can somebody summarize these four pages or is it all "I'll be they're resold" and "I don't know, but I'll take them!"

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ask Amazon. I'm not being funny - you might be able to get a one-time exception.

LitHum05 likes this.
  9. LitHum05

Yeah, I'm wondering if I even want to spend that much time on the phone with them for an $18 record.

10. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Don't call. Use their Customer Service Chat. Never a wait and they'll make it happen.

Haggis Wampovich and LitHum05 like this.
  11. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

A long time ago, I stopped into a national grocery store at about 10pm. They were pulling all of the bakery products that were no longer "fresh", but still packaged or otherwise intact. I asked what was to be done with everything (several rolling racks full of stuff). I was told it would be discarded. I asked if it could be donated to a local halfway house, located literally 2 blocks away. I was told they could not due to legal liability. If anyone got sick, or otherwise had a problem, then the store would be sued. Cheaper and easier overall to dispose of everything.

12. LitHum05

Wow, I had no idea this was an option. I'm chatting with some guy right now!

Ben Adams likes this.
  13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Exactly - the text chat is fantastic.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Let us know if it worked!

15. LitHum05

Yup! It worked. I'm getting a replacement by Sunday and have 30 days to return the defective one.

:nauga:

Ben Adams likes this.
  16. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

So, 4 pages in and nobody really knows what happens to that returned vinyl do they?

17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation. I understand their concern, it's too bad that's the way it is.

Amazon does, but they're not telling.

18. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

"Mastered for Crosley"

19. Efus

Efus Senior Member

The correct answer was given last June on page 1.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup. Because of some sleazy lawyers, stores will now toss stuff rather than risk a bogus and expensive lawsuit.

21. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

A lot of it is sold to resellers for a few cents on the dollar. I know this because I buy albums from a reseller who told me they come as returns from Amazon. The most I've spent for one of these resold albums was $10CAD and it was the deluxe Metallica hardwired to self destruct...sealed with hype sticker. Not sure why it was returned to amazon in the first place.

22. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

The probably sell them to young people who have been led to believe crackle and clicks are 'normal' in the listening experience.

Yamahaha likes this.
  23. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

This is one of these threads that makes me glad to not have gone back to vinyl yet.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, talking about framing.

Here are a few more:

"So, when you post in this forum hoping to show your meager intelligence..."

"Your poor taste in music liking The Beatles..."

"Spending more than $50 on a cartridge when you're using a such an antiquated technology..."

25. KayNicole

KayNicole Well-Known Member

I have no idea what happens to them, but can I have ‘em?! ;);)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.