What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Roger Waters, Amused to Death. I loved everything Roger did through 1984 (The Body doesn't count). Just did not like this acclaimed work, and still don't, and I try it again every year or so.

2. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

But, he's right; it's not one of their best, only better than everything that came after.

3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Various albums come to mind:

Jimmy Page - Outrider. Not bad, not good, not much of anything
    Built to Spill - You in Reverse and also There is No Enemy (should have been titled There Is No Energy)
    the second and third Circulatory System albums (the first one is only OK). It turns out Bill Doss, rather than Will Cullen Hart, was what I liked so much about the Olivia Tremor Control.
    The Atomic Playboys s/t album. I like Steve Stevens, but this is just hideous. Dido Steve Vai's Sex and Religion

Siegmund and mattright like this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

You were expecting to hear a masterpiece after hearing "Rich Girl" or "Hollaback Girl"? :confused: Lol

5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Band Of Horses - Mirage Rock... then Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms... fool me twice.

6. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I was after hearing "What You Waiting For." :(

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Agreed. Also nearly every song was about 2 minutes too long, a common theme dragging down an album. They're are clearly good songs in there somewhere.

Seltarb likes this.
  8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Johnny Marr & The Healers. It excited me because this was during a time in my life that there wasn't enough new music coming my way, but it was with 2 known quantities. Johnny Marr had been on my radar for years. Not so much as a Smiths fan but having enjoyed his playing with Bryan Ferry and Talking Heads. Then Zak Starkey was more or less the full time drummer. Was really looking forward to getting the CD, and they may have even been considering making a local appearance. It's hard to remember the specifics, but the songwriting just didn't seem to be present.

Randy Tater and bunglejerry like this.
  9. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I thought I clicked "Some Girls Full Album" but I must have clicked twice and unknowingly loaded "Emotional Rescue Full Album"... I got to the end and I thought, "well, what's the fuss about that album - that sucked!" When I reached the end and realized I hadn't heard "Beast Of Burden" I thought something had to be wrong. So, during that time, I thought, "man, Some Girls is a really crappy album." I've since listened to the correct album and that analysis has been completely debunked. Some Girls is great. I suppose Voodoo Lounge is my real candidate, people said it was their best in a long time but I found it very underwhelming and it really ran the gamut between great ("You Got Me Rocking", "Love Is Strong") and cringeworthy ("Brand New Car", that one that was supposed to sound like the Renaissance fair). On the other hand, I expected little to nothing from A Bigger Bang but it's probably at number 7 or 8 on my overall rankings of their albums.

I don't know if I found it a disappointment at the time (I think I was caught up in the hype) but evaluating it now, I find The Wall to be an extremely big letdown. It's the only album of theirs that I don't really like.

REM have had spotty albums since Life's Rich Pageant but most of them have some flashes of genius on them ("Country Feedback", "What's The Frequency Kenneth", "...End Of The World...", etc). Automatic is solid though.

The Who Sell Out wasn't what I was expecting it to be and I rarely find myself playing it despite an incredible four song streak between "Tattoo" and "Can't Reach You" - but the rest is almost entirely disposable in my opinion.

10. JohnnyQuest

Arguably the worst single she ever released. (Aside from "Spark the Fire") I'm surprised that you actually remember hearing it on the radio. :laugh: Were you really impressed by it?

11. Mister President

Suede, Head Music.

What happened?

paddycook and MadMelMon like this.
  12. The7thStranger

I love that song! Minus the decidedly lame "Take. a. chance" line, I thought it was an amazing way to start off an electro-dance career.

And then I heard all the crap coming off of the rest of the LP. Aside from "Cool," she really let me down. I lost a lot of respect for her with that LP. I thought she was a better songwriter and better curator than that. And The Sweet Escape was even worse musically, though decidedly less ... KKK than L.A.M.B.. Her latest LP is clearly her strongest effort yet.

13. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

That's the best line, you stupid ho.;)

LivingForever and JohnnyQuest like this.
  14. The7thStranger

Do I have some wicked style?

Gordon Crisp likes this.
  15. Mister President

Love The White Stripes.

Just couldn't get into Jack's first solo album Blunderbuss.

16. The7thStranger

That reminds me...

The Killers - Sam's Town and that horrendous album Brandon Flowers did after.

mattright, timind and CrombyMouse like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I have my own version that cuts out the long codas and fades, and shortens the songs that are played twice (in one song), and it really shows that the same songwriting quality is there.

Of course I can do nothing about the 50 overdubbed guitars. :sigh:

Seltarb and Mister President like this.
  18. JohnnyQuest

That song is a mess. She blatantly copied the most memorable part of Weezer's "Hash Pipe" in the first bars of her verse. Really Gwen? :doh:

19. The7thStranger

...whoa. Some things can't be unread. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I'll never heard either song the same again.

20. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

Tame Impala ~ Currents

Sondek, bizmopeen, nstza and 3 others like this.
  21. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

After discovering the magic within the Pixies' first 2 albums, I was really let down by Bossanova. I didn't think it was bad, just not nearly as good as their first two. However, I've come to like it a lot more in recent years

Yesternow likes this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

[​IMG]

mikem60 and The7thStranger like this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Michael Jackson- Invincible. It was a long wait for a terrible album.

24. JohnnyQuest

At least we got Butterflies,Break of Dawn and Heaven Can Wait from it.

pantofis, D.B. and Helter Skelter like this.
  25. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Steely Dan - Gaucho

A combination of just over three years of waiting for the followup to Aja and my tastes having moved on since '77 and it was a "It's OK but that's about all." Hardly played after that for a long while.

oneslip17, pig bodine and lightbulb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.