What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Boston - Third Stage

After waiting and waiting, what did we get? Drum Machines! Say it ain't so Tom! I've grown to like this album more over the years but at the time after Don't Look Back, big shock.

2. 32XD Japan1

Yup, I bought that Kamirracrap Fagen record and had the same reaction. Actually the only track I really liked on The Nightfly was New Frontiers but I didn't actually own it. Definitely got stung on that one. And One Step Closer, after a solid record like Minute By Minute that was an aquired taste at first, this was a genuine "finish off the record deal" album, and what a waste.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My collection would be so amiss, if it didn't include "The Nightfly", which is clearly in my "Top 20" albums of all-time! It is a breeze of everything that I love about the Steely Dan albums, only a little more focused, with far less deep and dark sinister lyrics. In other words, a "fun" and "happy" Steely Dan album, if you will?

klockwerk and Mooserfan like this.
  4. 32XD Japan1

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Pyromania was a compromise I kind of went with, still not thinking it stood up to the previous 2 albums.

Then....Hysteria. Music by robots, vocals so processed, all humanity gone. One of the biggest misuses of technology in the history of rock. Sold like no tomorrow but so do TV dinners.

5. 32XD Japan1

I love Steely, The Nightfly just couldn't get into. Sounded much like Gaucho, which after Aja, I had trouble adapting to.

6. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I'm not a big GnR fan but the long wait for the release of Chinese Democracy was all hype and I was let down when I heard the lp.

7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

For Those About To Rock
    Undercover
    Internationalists
    The Joshua Tree
    Pleased To Meet Me
    Wish
    Bone Machine
    Four-Calendar Cafe
    Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants

8. ronm

ronm audiofreak

The Final Cut made me want to barf.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

The final cut made me want to buy more Pink Floyd.

10. ronm

ronm audiofreak

"Goodbye Columbus" escapes me

11. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Even though Goat's Head Soup is a nice record, it had to be a bringdown coming after Exile On Main Street, and it was.

bonus, EProphet and ohnothimagen like this.
  12. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

How Dare You - 10cc

PaulOnTheBeach likes this.
  13. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Well at least you wanted to buy more PF which is a good thing.Odd though because TFC is so far away from most PF.

14. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

:faint:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  15. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Invincible by Michael Jackson. We waited six years and endured countless delays to finally get a bunch of tracks MJ didn't even write -- after having written almost all of his material since the eighties -- and the songs he got from outside writers were either unpleasant, overlong, mechanical, repetitive, undanceable "uptempo" numbers, or banal R n' B ballads that could have ended up on a Brandy album. And some genius told MJ to do away with all of the classic MJ yelps and hiccups and "hee-hees", so it doesn't even have his classic vocal style.

Oh, and we only got one lousy video. What a fiasco.

Dave likes this.
  16. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Elton John - A Single Man

Ended my Elton fanhood. Though it was a steady decline from 1976-1978 nothing, not even Victim of Love (which I willfully ignored) could prepare me for this atrocity. Part Time Love has got to me one of the most banal pop songs ever.

You, me , everybody needs a Part Time Love.

[​IMG]

17. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

The Who's Face Dances
    Wings London Town
    Stone Roses Second Coming
    Pink Floyd's Final Cut
    The Verve: Fourth
    Stones Dirty work

Each of these albums have some merit but they came after albums that where either flat out better or that promised bigger things.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  18. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

London Calling

20. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Graceland. I was SO looking forward to it with my new Sony CD player and it was the first CD I ever bought. Loved "Rhymin' Simon" and the S/T album. Not only did I not like Graceland's music, the CD sounded like crap. I know it's regarded as a classic, but I still don't like it.

21. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Just stop.

Might as well have named this thread name some of the greatest albums of all time. Exile, London Calling, Hot Buttered Soul. Next thing I bet someone will post Sgt. Peppers or Pet Sounds.

22. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

A note for note remake of a superior original, an overlong, one-chord ballad that is lyrically opposed to MJ's sensibility when singing love songs, and therefore feels fake and artificial, and a bland R n B number that could have appeared on Monica's album from the same period, with ad-libs lifted from The Lady in my Life.

Gee, thanks, Invincible!

23. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

In Utero

bru87tr likes this.
  24. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Listen Without Prejuduce by George Michael. I love the album now, but when itthe day it came out, I was dissapointed how depressing it is and how it was nothing like Faith, which was very upbeat.

25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Well, a "disappointment" (reread the post title) often has to do with heightened expectations. Pet Sounds would actually be a pretty good candidate, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.