What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

For me, it's Bowie's Hours.... I grew up knowing the hits, but had only gotten "bit" by the Bowie bug in 1993, when I was in college and Black Tie White Noise was the new LP. My fan-dom built to a peak over the next few years, but was really setback by Hours..., which never clicked for me (not even to this day, despite revisiting it at least annually). I got back on-board with Heathen and enjoyed everything that followed, but the impact of Hours... was that there were a few years in there (1999-2002) when I passed-up a number of opportunities to see DB live, as I was living in NYC at the time. Foolish me, in retrospect!

2. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society. I can maybe get through 2 songs.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Todd Rundgren A Wizard a True Star...I have the new SACD. I couldn't get through it once. The recording itself sounds terrible and was produced poorly. The music was "interesting", but it didn't pull me in. I doubt I will ever listen to it again.

4. mad man with a box

mad man with a box Active Member

The Killers - Battleborn

Was onboard with the first three songs (Flesh and Bone, Runaways and The Way It Was) which are pretty good - Runaways in particular is a corker.

Then it hit me that the rest of the album sounds all the same and I got totally sick of it before it's (overlong) runtime was over

In late years I have gained some appreciation for it but more just cause I love the band. As it is there are five songs that I am a fan of - the three previously mentioned, Ms Atomic Bomb and Battleborn

twicks likes this.
  5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Chicago - VIII
    Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones
    Beach Boys - Smiley Smile
    George Harrison - Dark Horse
    Paul McCartney - Wings Wild Life
    Elton John - Leather Jackets
    Elton John - Victim Of Love
    U2 - Pop

6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
    Cryptopsy - The Unspoken King
    Metallica - St. Anger, Death Magnetic (absolutely terrible sound), and that Lulu album
    Celtic Frost - Cold Lake
    Machine Head - The Burning Red/Supercharger
    Pitchshifter - Deviant and PSI

7. Bob Y

Bob Y Well-Known Member

OK this is going back almost 50 years but when Jethro Tull released Stand Up I was very disappointed. I loved their first album "This Was" and thought that "jazz-rock" was going to be a big new thing and they were unbelievable at it with Mick Abrahams on guitar. When I first played the album "Stand Up" (bought it on 8 track) even though some of the tunes on it reminded me of the first album for ex. "Nothing is Easy", I really hated the British folk stuff on it and and realized they were headed in a different direction that i hoped. I also bought Benefit which confirmed for me they were heading off in another direction. I did like Stand Up and Benefit though but I was very disappointed they had changed directions and changed their guitar player. that first album had a verve and swing that they never approached again. It was all downhill for me after "This Was" Listening to it today I realize it was uneven and some of the stuff on that album also wasn't wonderful, the stuff that was more than made up for the less exciting stuff. This was definitely my biggest album disappointment in my life. I still feel let down to this day.:D

8. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Sam's Town has become my favorite Killers album after the initial "Huh?" I think retrospective reviews are much kinder to it and it's considered a very unerrappreciated album. That said, "Horses for courses"......we all bring a unique ear to the conversation.

9. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire (or anything post Cardinals)

Blur - Magic Whip (underwhelming but not without its charms)

Radiohead - King of Limbs (Codex aside a turd of an album)

Arcade Fire - Reflector (the moment they disappeared up their own asses)

Pink Floyd - Endless River (a damp squib)

Kings of Leon - Because of the Times (KOL sellout)

pinkrudy likes this.
  10. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Planet waves dylan
    American dream csny
    The byrds 1973

11. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head. Loved 'Parachutes', hated this at a cellular level. Never bothered with them since.

The Killers - Sam's Town. Floored by the brilliance of their first album and floored by how awful this was in comparison.

12. cmarcc

cmarcc Forum Resident

Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline
    Talking Heads - True Stories
    Supertramp - Some Things never Change
    Bowie - Tonight / Lever Let me Down / Hours
    Iggy Pop - Avenue B
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (90% of it)
    The Clash - Cut the Crap
    Yes - Union / Heaven & Earth
    Django Django - Marble Skies (not a disaster but much less ambitious I think)
    Neil Young - Broken Arrow
    Boston - Don't look Back / Third stage
    Blue Oyster Cult - Mirrors / Curse of the Hidden Mirror (not disastrous, just not great for me)

breakingglass likes this.
  13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

George Harrison's SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND. I loved the GEORGE HARRISON album and liked the first single (All Those Years Ago) from SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND, but the rest of the album was a major disappointment.

Led Zeppelin IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR. I loved "In The Evening" but the rest of it I thought was boring, hokey, or just overly long overblown noise. Quite a disappointment.

Paul McCartney's PRESS TO PLAY. I actually liked the single "Press" (which I know many don't) and I wanted so badly to love the rest of the album, but only the ballad "Only Love Remains" ranks as anything more than average McCartney (and much of it is sub-par failed experimental McCartney)

BIG STAR THIRD/SISTER LOVERS. I had the first two Big Star albums and loved them and had read some reviews calling the 3rd one their best. Boy were those reviews wrong! That album isn't close to as good as the first two. "Jesus Christ" is a great song and "Nighttime" is hauntingly beautiful, but much of it is frankly somewhat incoherent.

14. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

REMs 1st LP after Bill. Reveal? Up? either way, it's blandness upsets me still.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Isn't Anything by My Bloody Valentine qualifies. I thought they might be to my taste as I love feedback guitars and all that. Absolutely awful and terrible production and songs; ditched it the day after.

16. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Exile On Main Street......

unclefred likes this.
  17. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Grateful Dead "Mars Hotel" sounded like the band was sleepwalking to me and the production seemed boring. The songs I had previously heard in concert just seemed dull in their studio versions. :hide:

18. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Tonight’s the Night, neil young. I am a huge fan. But when this album came out, it seemed such a downer and his voice to me had a rougher edge than normal. I knew it was the first album after his band member, david briggs?, died of an over dose. But this my answer.

Dog Ear and a customer like this.
  19. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Creedence- Mardi Gras

Loved Sweet Hitchhiker and bought the album with high expectations. A true WTF moment for me.

The MEZ and Bill like this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It wasn't Briggs, it was Danny Whitten. But I get where you're at

Adkchaz and wayneklein like this.
  21. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Queen - Hot Space

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. My biggest album disappointment was for 10cc’s Look Hear. The writing just wasn’t as strong as I hoped and the production wasn’t quite as good as previous albums.

23. I think at the time the “junkie shiek” label elevated the album sometimes beyond what it deserved. I feel it’s a terrific album just very different compared to the first two

I’m a big fan of In Through The Out Door as it experimented with the Lz sound.

I’m there with you re: Somewhere in England and Press To Play. The former is just underwhelming. The latter had a couple of good songs mired in bad productions. Footsteps, Angry and one or two other songs were promising
    But under delivered

24. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

almost as great as loveless imho... and the production on both albums is not quite perfect

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Possibly... Arnold Grove Yodels Your Holiday Favorites

@Arnold Grove :D

Arnold Grove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.