What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Wow, I'm surprised to see The Majesticons and Cool Calm Pete on this forum. Beauty Party was a MAJOR disappointment for me at the time it came out. I love everything from Mike Ladd up to Father Divine (aside from Beauty Party... I can sort of appreciate it now although it's by far my least favorite album from him) but I really hope he will revisit experimental hip hop some day.

xybert likes this.
  2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Future Sound of London's "The Isness", although I've warmed to it since. I just wasn't ready for that massive change of direction at the time.

3. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

U2's Pop was much maligned upon it's release. Given the passage of time, it is a solid album, not their best work, but far from their worse either.

The synth Rush albums were weak sounding, but played live the songs were much more solid. Still, not Moving Pictures or Fly By Night, but better than the studio versions.

The MEZ likes this.
  4. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

It's like he went "hey, remember when I went electric and everybody hated it? Well, I'm going acoustic again, and everyone's going to hate it every more."

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Pet Sounds song that didn't make the cut!

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I don't think it was intended to make the cut though recording was started towards end of Pet Sounds sessions. Pet Sounds released May 66 and recording of GV went on till September. I don't think it really was supposed to be part of Smile either. Of course it was lumped onto the Smiley Smile album later just to confuse matters.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You don't think... but you are not sure.

Well it is listed on the original cover artwork from 1966. So I'd say it was a part of that album, concept, and track running.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Good Vibrations - Always considered part of SMiLE?

This was a topic a little which back I just found.
    At least three people in that thread are making claims that GV was on Brian's handwritten track list for Smile. So that should be proof enough, even if the early sessions for this monster hit were started at the end of the Pet Sounds sessions.

GV appears on the Smile Sessions box set and 2CD releases. But does not appear on any Pet Sounds session box sets, releases.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Was it originally intended to be part of Smile or did Brian decide later to include it (by the time a running order was produced by Brian)? I know it is part of any released Smile sessions.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There were recordings so I am told that were a part of Smile begun before GV even. So it appears a part of Smile. Things could have changed and we know they did change, and change a lot. Not trying to get a point or two out of this, but it's closer to Smile than not. It's even closer to Smile than SFF is to Sgt. Pepper. Laugh!

11. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

May have said this before since this thread is getting long in the tooth, but I've always been disappointed that when I got Stone Roses Second Coming, I thought I was getting THAT ONE BIG RECORD of theirs. I listened to 2ndC, thought it was o-k, (I did like the very last cut where the singer sings, "she's my sister") but I figured maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. Finally I realized I simply had the wrong recording, which is disappointing. How many bands when you first hear them you aren't impressed but then you go out and buy a different album?

12. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Van Halen 3
    I still can’t get my head around how a band who produced some of the greatest rock music ever (IMO) could release something with something with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever...

The MEZ likes this.
  13. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

I don't know I think some of the guitar playing is great and the experimentation on the album actually made it better than Balance. I was mainly disappointed with this album because the original reunion with Roth fell apart.

14. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

An elder statesman here...

But my biggest disappointment was in 1972 when my fav Beatle & activist John Lennon began to loose direction in his music...

Political activists Ruben & Hoffman did not help things in any way shape or form...

John was a intelligent wise man but when it came to these 2 individuals he was ever so gullible to their extreme left rhetoric...

Even I had outgrown those 2 by 1972...

Peter Townsend was smarter than all of us , he out grew them in 1969...

With substantial , at best , songs scattered like crumbs throughout 72-75...

IMO it was a steady decline until 1980s Double Fantasy...

Which had the potential to be a masterpiece , had John focused more on his work & ommited Yokos contributions completely...

But alas John would never do such a injustice to "Mother "

So DF was inherently a let down as well but not of the magnitude of the other LPs

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Dog Ear and The MEZ like this.
  15. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Wow, that seems amazing because, to my ears, a person can interchange Sides 1 & 4 of the River onto Darkness and not skip a beat. I always thought those two albums were like a hand and glove. Got to love personal tastes, huh :)

That said, BITUSA was a huge disappointment to me after Nebraska's release. The whole pop image and sound and a lot of the song-writing was juvenile, imo.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    quicksrt and Hoover Factory like this.
  16. Metallica - St. Anger. A friend downloaded a copy for free and gave me a CD-R of it, and I still felt ripped off.

The Offspring - Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace. What the heck happened to this band? I LOVED their 90s work - ignore the naysayers, their music had a real edge and urgency in that decade, tapping into the dark side of California brilliantly - but since 2000's Conspiracy Of One their songwriting fell off a cliff completely and has never returned. I checked out RAFRAG in 2008 when it came out in the hope that they might have improved and found ONE song that even came close to their best work, the rest just sounded like bad emo.

QOTSA - Rated R. Not a bad record by any means, but I got this under the impression that every song was going to sound like the lead off track Feel Good Hit Of The Summer. Was a bit nonplussed. Later on I grew to like it more, but Songs For The Deaf just leaves this record far behind.

Machine Head - The Blackening. Bought this on the strength of reviews claiming it was the Master Of Puppets for the 2000s, and with the hope that MH might have improved as songwriters. Just found it dull, mostly comprised of ten-minute songs which were a bunch of riffs put together with little flow or cohesion. Overcompressed too.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace. Bought it, loved the first two songs and the last two (I don't count Dawn Patrol as a song as such, btw). Middle of the record completely dead in the water. No interesting riffs, no hooks, totally forced and awkward. Thought I would get into it more over time. Nope, never have done. Not the classic it's made out by any stretch of the imagination, and would be far better off as a 4 track EP.

Megadeth - Endgame. Didn't buy this, which was just as well. My friend purchased it and brought it over to my house to listen to. What I heard was a bunch of songs that sounded like the middle section of Rust In Peace - really forced and had no flow or hooks at all, thrashy and fast yes, but for the sake of it rather than towards any coherent goal, and topped off with crappy conspiracy theory lyrics straight off Infowars. Easily the worst Megadeth album I've heard - even more so than Risk - and the critical and fanbase worship of this record baffles me. One of the most boring records I've ever heard.

17. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

I am a huuuuuuge beatles fan, but when i bought let it be when it came out initially, i was greatly disappointed. In fact when i bought the 198os first cds of their albums, it was the only album not bought until i bought the 2009 box set.

I feel a little better about the album now, but it is the one i play least. I play the two bbc sets more often and though the opposite of this thread, these sets are most unexpected pleasant surprise about a gamble on a purchase of tracks i knew little beforehand of the quality.

18. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Jethro Tull 'A'

Chrisaw, The MEZ, Galactus2 and 2 others like this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

The only consolation here is, it was supposed to be an Ian Anderson solo record (I think). Anyway, it was the end of Tull for me, pretty much.

20. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Spike; The Juliet Letters - Elvis Costello

London Town; Pipes of Peace - Paul McCartney

Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

Cut the Crap - The Clash

DavidD likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

An early version of GV is on the Pet Sounds box set. Parts of that backing track were used on the final version.

22. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

That fact it was intended initially as a solo effort, seemed to perhaps take some 'slap back' off of Ian. I think it seems what was potentially a fair to middling solo effort and a step forward, was sadly destined to become a real 'back step' into his own s**t.

bhazen likes this.
  23. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

The Final Cut

llama, steve phillips and Dog Ear like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, true, ideas were coming to Brian at breakneck speed and the next albums and singles were likely already being visualized before Pet Sounds had even hit the mixing stage. Still not a part of that album, but at least started in the same room.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  25. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I didn't expect much from Cut The Crap when it came out, but I listened to it recently and it is not that bad. Sorry I missed the tour with the TWO replacement guitarists for Mick Jones, because I was told they "rose to the occasion " .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.