What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

This thread looks lonely. I have Earth: The Biography comin' from Amazonia. Anybody else got it or gettin' it? I'm a sucker for science shows.

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Aren't standard dts and dts core the exact same thing?

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I believe so. DTS core, from my understanding, merely means that if the disc is encoded with DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA, and your player or receiver cannot decode the HD part, it will at least decode the basic "core" DTS (which is the basic DTS we have known for years now).

5. SamS

I understood "core" DTS to mean it extracted the 1.5Mpbs version from a DTS-HR or DTS MA program, while most DTS tracks on SD-DVD are at 768kpbs.

6. Rachael Bee

It's at the highest bit-rate that home DTS comes in. It's not shabby audio.

It kind'a grieves me that DTS Master suddenly has such wide-acceptance with studios when so many players sold so far won't decode it or bitstream it. I don't see what's so superior about it over Dolby True or LCPM. I'm grieved because my Onkyo 805 reciever is stille in the shop waiting for.....??? ....proably, ultimately because DTS was late/wrong/off with their spec's...?

I must admit the idea of core or Master depending on your kit is convient but DTS seems to be getting rewarded for being late to the party yet again. It don't seem right, well cricket. I get True and LPCM on my junior system with a 1.0 player.

The DTS rep.....

7. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

My 805 just left today for warranty service. Anyway, The Pirates of the Caribbean-The Curse of the Black Pearl just arrived today from Amazon. It will be tonight's entertainment.

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I just picked up "Passage to India." It was a revelation, beautifully transferred and a more engrossing story than I remember. Pretty good extras too. Back when it was released I called it Passage to Insomnia as it seemed pretty boring. I guess I've changed with age!

John K.

9. Looking at the big picture, well over 90% of Blu-ray players in service can either decode or bitstream DTS-HD MA, and 100% of all others can decode and/or bitstream the core DTS, it isn't as big an issue as I thought it was going to be a year ago, when none could handle DTS-HD MA. Of course the PS3 all by itself is over 85% of players in service, this list shows what players can decode and/or bitstream DTS-HD MA:

http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2 Blu-ray Players.html

These new or soon to be released players can decode and bitstream DTS-HD MA:

Sony BDP-S550
    Panasonic DMP-BD50
    Samsung BD-P2500
    Pioneer BDP-05HD
    Pioneer BDP-FD/LX51
    Pioneer BDP-LX91
    Denon DVD3800BD
    Marantz BD8002

Could have been a lot worse, I guess, no HD DVD player decoded DTS-HD MA as far as I know. I have a player that can bitstream to my Yamaha RX-V663 and the PS3 which can decode it.

Chris

10. I have never seen a straight standard DTS encode at 1.5Mbps although I assume that is possible.

Chris

11. Rachael Bee

Isn't that what was on some of the D-Theater tapes? I must have atleast 20 D-tapes with DTS.

12. SamS

Early DTS DVDs (Saving Private Ryan IIRC) had 1536kpbs tracks.

13. Rachael Bee

I have several of those early high-rate DTS DVD's that DTS encoded themselves. When they allowed the studios to have encoders is when the bit-rate was cut in half.

14. I don't think so but I only had a couple of DTheater tapes with DTS. I didn't think there were 20 but I just checked and Wikipedia lists these tapes as having a DTS track:

Dreamworks
    Forces of Nature
    The Last Castle
    The Contender *
    Biker Boyz

20th Century Fox
    Moulin Rouge!
    True Lies
    X2
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Speed
    Alien (Director's Cut)
    Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    Passion of the Christ
    Man on Fire
    The Day After Tomorrow
    I, Robot

Universal Studios
    Meet the Parents
    The Scorpion King *
    Red Dragon *
    2 Fast 2 Furious*
    The Life of David Gale*
    Love Actually
    Lost in Translation
    The Truth About Charlie
    21 Grams
    The Rundown

Chris

15. Rachael Bee

Chris, I have a high percentage of the tapes on that list. I can't remember which ones but some of the tapes have DTS even though it's not listed on the box.

16. Rachael Bee

...oh, when I was out shopping at Tar-jeaux this morning, I got the Clear And Present Danger BD. Tar-jeaux has most of their $35 Fox titles marked down to $25 or $30. Patton was $30, most of the rest were $25. I didn't see their sunday circular yet, those might have been advertised prices...? At any rate, the tags said "Temporary Price Reduction".

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would love to get that one. :righton:

18. I just picked up Hitman as a blind buy.

19. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

Just picked up Doomsday and was very pleasantly surprised. I think the trailer was a very poor representation of this movie. It made it look like a cheapie badly made piece of crap that should have been straight to DVD. While it's certainly no masterpiece, I found it very entertaining. Completely over the top in blood and action but still done very well. The director was blatanly showing his influences. The homage to Escape From NY and The Road Warrior were obvious. With a touch of The Warriors in one scene. Oh yeah, the PQ & AQ were top notch too!

20. The ones with * according to Wikipedia have no mention on the box. According to Wikipedia, I only owned a grand total of one DTheater tape with DTS, Alien.

Chris

21. Wow, you are a brave soul. I just rented that one recently. I assumed it must be based on a video game while watching it, but I haven't yet checked to see if that was accurate. People jumping out all around and spraying bullets all over and the over the top blood spatter look like something from a video game or graphic comic book.

Chris

22. Rachael Bee

Chris, I have all but 3 of those....28 if that's right out of 92 Hollywood releases. I stille think there's a few more but I'd have to start playin' tapes, 60-somethin'.

I'm already wantin' to revisit Moulon Rouge & Alien after just looking at the list.

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Based on the encoder demonstration I saw from DTS last month, DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA, can be encoded with either a 754kbps core or a 1509 kbps core. The 754kbps core encoding will have a smaller file size overall, but the difference is not that big, which is presumably why just about everyone chooses a 1509 kbps core.

Regards,

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It was not just that. DTS did encodes in the lower bitrate, too. It was largely the desire of retailers to be able to carry a single inventory with DD and DTS and of studios to not have to scale back extra features or add extra discs, that created the demand for lower bitrate DTS.

DTS laserdiscs and DTS CDs were 1411 Kbps. This was the same bitrate as the PCM stereo on those mediums. I believe this was (is?) the case with theatrical DTS CDs that shipped with film prints, too. I believe 1509 kbps DVD first came along with DVD. "Saving Private Ryan" was not one of the high bitrate titles, even though it was a double inventory release, but I believe "Appolo 13", "Out of Sight", and "12 Monkeys" were. I know I have some music titles at "full bitrate" DTS as well.

Regards,

25. I have a pretty high tolerance for mindless action films so buying blind isn't that unusual for me. I'm not expecting much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.